Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 07:07 PM

865 posts, read 591,276 times

Advertisements

Great, its migrated to the Mobile forum.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 08:41 AM

92 posts, read 101,768 times
Current Mayor Simpson is Old Mobile money. If Jones or Dow was mayor we would have a bigger skyline and the civic center property would already be use more than just for Mardi Gras balls

Old 10-11-2023, 09:51 AM

865 posts, read 591,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayourat15 View Post
Current Mayor Simpson is Old Mobile money. If Jones or Dow was mayor we would have a bigger skyline and the civic center property would already be use more than just for Mardi Gras balls
You claim that Stimpson is old money yet Jones and Dow isn’t old money either lol, come on now. They were both mayors while the civic center was declining…. and they didn’t do anything about it, what makes you think they would’ve by now?

Old 10-11-2023, 09:57 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,862,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayourat15 View Post
Boy is this going to age poorly.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:49 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
Boy is this going to age poorly.
That person isnt wrong.

multiple minor league teams played in there, lot more concerts too.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
You claim that Stimpson is old money yet Jones and Dow isn’t old money either lol, come on now. They were both mayors while the civic center was declining…. and they didn’t do anything about it, what makes you think they would’ve by now?
Whether they would do something about the decline is something we cant know, but phrasing it as being in the decline during their terms is a little disingenuous.

those 2 havent been mayor for 10 and 20 years. In the early 2000's I went to Revelers and Mystics games there, as well as the Wizards playing there . You could argue in 2002, it was in its heyday, being used year round.

Old 10-13-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That person isnt wrong.

multiple minor league teams played in there, lot more concerts too.
I was more speaking to the skyline bit (not sure why you would agree with that, though), but on the whole we know this person is wrong because it is a false premise.

The amount of infill downtown in Stimpson's administration blows away the Jones (and Dow) administration. Stimpson is still cleaning up from that administration, including the disrepair of the civic center. There are hundreds of housing/condo/apartment units being built/converted with many hundreds already built during his administration.

PLUS, we have our first substantial renovation plan for the civic center in years.

This is not to say one is better than the other, though. It's amazing to me that people are missing this just to apply this old money cliché.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I was more speaking to the skyline bit (not sure why you would agree with that, though), but on the whole we know this person is wrong because it is a false premise.

The amount of infill downtown in Stimpson's administration blows away the Jones (and Dow) administration. Stimpson is still cleaning up from that administration, including the disrepair of the civic center. There are hundreds of housing/condo/apartment units being built/converted with many hundreds already built during his administration.

PLUS, we have our first substantial renovation plan for the civic center in years.

This is not to say one is better than the other, though. It's amazing to me that people are missing this just to apply this old money cliché.
My post was less about Old money vs New Money, because that doesnt matter. It was about whether the other statements made sense on their own.

I dont blame anyone for the skyline either way, we had a lot of things cancelled because of the recession. Thats not the fault of any mayor. However during Jones' first term, we absolutely had more towers lined up than we have under Stimpson.

I also question your argument about infill development( In known infill means between current development, so some of these are just, well development, lol). footprint overall, Dow/Jones easily wins, there projects were just bigger in actual size. I mean, then entire Water St. frontage from the Convention Center, Riverside Park, Gulf Maritime Museum, Cruise ship terminal , RSA tower, Then you add in all the city,county and federal buildings that got revamped. Hank Aaron Stadium, Madri Gras Park, Dauphin Street revitalization.

I think a lot of these things blend together in everyones head and people forget just how much Mobile changed in that 1999-2015ish era.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
My post was less about Old money vs New Money, because that doesnt matter. It was about whether the other statements made sense on their own.
Their statement, and my response, were about the old money cliché and some nebulous need for a specific development.

The simple way to consider this is to walk up to any Mobilian that has lived here since the early 2000s and ask when downtown Mobile has changed the most, and undoubtedly the vast majority of them will say the last 5 to 10 years. Yes, Dow and Jones ushered in the convention center, Gulfquest, and cruise terminal but these are civic buildings. How often are Mobilians going to these places?! Not often! (Side note: The civic center is a civic building which was allowed to suffer while these other civic buildings were built.) They are certainly a necessary part of the ecosystem (well, maybe only the convention center and cruise terminal), but are only part of the issue.

Dow and Jones set the table, and Stimpson and others have been able to continue the momentum. The vast majority of the in-fill development (and rehab) - like Meridian at the Port, Gateway apartments, Merchants Plaza, etc. - have been under Stimpson's watch. Go back and read what the Merchants Plaza developers said about Stimpson in their interviews at the announcement...

Old 10-13-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Their statement, and my response, were about the old money cliché and some nebulous need for a specific development.

The simple way to consider this is to walk up to any Mobilian that has lived here since the early 2000s and ask when downtown Mobile has changed the most, and undoubtedly the vast majority of them will say the last 5 to 10 years. Yes, Dow and Jones ushered in the convention center, Gulfquest, and cruise terminal but these are civic buildings. How often are Mobilians going to these places?! Not often! (Side note: The civic center is a civic building which was allowed to suffer while these other civic buildings were built.) They are certainly a necessary part of the ecosystem (well, maybe only the convention center and cruise terminal), but are only part of the issue.

Dow and Jones set the table, and Stimpson and others have been able to continue the momentum. The vast majority of the in-fill development (and rehab) - like Meridian at the Port, Gateway apartments, Merchants Plaza, etc. - have been under Stimpson's watch. Go back and read what the Merchants Plaza developers said about Stimpson in their interviews at the announcement...
There is a giant list of residential in the downtown area that happened under Jones. I think you are also on skyscraperpage-Mobile Development Forum there is a list a mile long over there, In fact, a lot of the downtown residential was planned years ago and simply got sold to new developers and changed names. Again, cant blame Jones for the recession.

That doesnt mean I dont think Stimpson hasnt done good things. I just dont seem any grandiose thing he has done that would separate him from Jones in that regard. Even your argument about most mobilians saying it has changed the most in the last 10 years is 100% my previous point that these blend together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area