Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 05:50 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,601,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Crazy smh
This is somewhat surprising especially if the airport press release in the report is accurate.
Mobile did everything right including filling the planes, Frontier is receiving a large number of planes this year but what the airport said about moving resources does make sense. What doesn't make sense why eliminate flights that are successful? What more can the community do?

"The authority, in its news release, called the Frontier experience a “success story.” Since the airport opened on May 1, the airline has served “more than 40,000 passengers providing non-stop direct seasonal service," to Denver and Chicago, and that the “planes were full,” according to the authority’s news release.
The authority said the business strategy for Frontier is to “pursue opportunities recently presented at airports in large metro areas” such as Los Angeles, Newark and Miami."

This is not a good look for Frontier, and hurts Mobile and the state. Hopefully they will return or another carrier will come in and provide even better service. Birmingham lost them as well but Frontiers scheduling makes it difficult to use them regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 06:45 AM

53 posts, read 72,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Birmingham lost them as well but Frontiers scheduling makes it difficult to use them regularly.
Exactly. I can't tell you how many times I looked into flying Frontier, but the scheduling was so insane that I could never make it work.

I really hope we can get another lowcost airline into BFM. Southwest would be kind of a longshot, but I can see Spirit happening, especially since they just opened a new hub in Miami.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:45 AM

11 posts, read 9,760 times
For a low cost carrier, Frontier provides pretty good service. A city of our size is a niche market for them. To fill the larger planes, they can only run a few flights a week, which isn't convenient for business travel. Leisure travelers in the summer, going on vacations, are willing to make compromises to get the low fare. We were lucky and originally had a Saturday flight in the summer which coincided with the weekly beach condo check in and out day. Planes were full. For the past few months, the public parking lot at BFM as been pretty empty. Any other carrier will be faced with the same challenges. I can see another coming in and having a successful summer season, but I'm not sure it can hold throughout the year. It looks like more of a seasonal market at this point. It would be interesting to see if a carrier would have more success with using smaller planes and having more flights per week; however, I think the national trend has been larger planes and fewer flights.

The Airport Authority is going to say it was a success, and it was for a while, but I'm not sure how you spin it that way when looked at in totality. I don't think they could have done more. They did a great job of getting that building ready on pretty short notice, and in promoting it. Hopefully, they keep at it and one day we have long term success with one of these low cost airlines.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:52 PM

6,640 posts, read 4,335,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rturnclyde View Post
For a low cost carrier, Frontier provides pretty good service. A city of our size is a niche market for them. To fill the larger planes, they can only run a few flights a week, which isn't convenient for business travel. Leisure travelers in the summer, going on vacations, are willing to make compromises to get the low fare. We were lucky and originally had a Saturday flight in the summer which coincided with the weekly beach condo check in and out day. Planes were full. For the past few months, the public parking lot at BFM as been pretty empty. Any other carrier will be faced with the same challenges. I can see another coming in and having a successful summer season, but I'm not sure it can hold throughout the year. It looks like more of a seasonal market at this point. It would be interesting to see if a carrier would have more success with using smaller planes and having more flights per week; however, I think the national trend has been larger planes and fewer flights.

The Airport Authority is going to say it was a success, and it was for a while, but I'm not sure how you spin it that way when looked at in totality. I don't think they could have done more. They did a great job of getting that building ready on pretty short notice, and in promoting it. Hopefully, they keep at it and one day we have long term success with one of these low cost airlines.
Bingo. I had doubts Mobile had enough air traffic to support Frontier. Frontier has other areas they deem more profitable or they would have stayed. Not at all sure plowing so much $ into BFM was a good idea.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:07 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,871,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Bingo. I had doubts Mobile had enough air traffic to support Frontier. Frontier has other areas they deem more profitable or they would have stayed. Not at all sure plowing so much $ into BFM was a good idea.
The Press-Register quoted an airport authority rep stating that Frontier’s load factors were in the 90s, meaning over 90 percent of the seats were purchased. There’s plenty of air traffic for Frontier and others, obviously.

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2020/...om-mobile.html

Old 01-08-2020, 07:25 AM

427 posts, read 384,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Pumping the money was a good idea. It's the future for Mobile and needed a lot of work before any other airlines would take it seriously. Also, have the runways maintained properly is a huge deal for our budding Aerospace Industry here.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:14 AM

11 posts, read 9,760 times
That load factor was for a few days a week. They probably have similar load factors in other niche markets that are also losing flights. If you can take the same asset and place it in one city that will provide the same revenue generation you had in multiple cities on different days of the week, it would seem you would experience a reduction in operating costs and more profit on that asset. It may not be that simple, but that is how it looks to me.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:20 AM

202 posts, read 192,229 times
So it sounds like the Boeing problems had a little something to do with this..

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2020/...ALcomMobile_sf

Old 01-08-2020, 11:53 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,601,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshore78 View Post
So it sounds like the Boeing problems had a little something to do with this..

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2020/...ALcomMobile_sf
maybe indirectly, Frontier does not fly Boeing. Frontier has nearly 150 Airbus A320neo and A321neo on order all being built in Mobile.
Believe they take delivery on 20 or so this year. Probably will be used for their Newark and Miami expansion.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:24 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,871,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rturnclyde View Post
That load factor was for a few days a week. They probably have similar load factors in other niche markets that are also losing flights. If you can take the same asset and place it in one city that will provide the same revenue generation you had in multiple cities on different days of the week, it would seem you would experience a reduction in operating costs and more profit on that asset. It may not be that simple, but that is how it looks to me.
Frontier is moving a lot of their assets to Newark to establish a beachhead in the NE, and for that they need aircraft. Whatever threshold they set for reductions elsewhere, Mobile must have been right under it considering the 90+% load factors out of BFM. Besides, Frontier had zero investment in Mobile other than the flights themselves... the MAA staffed and serviced their flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area