Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 12:35 PM

37 posts, read 209,642 times

Advertisements

I relocated to Coon Rapids in February from Maryland. Since I have struggled to find simple services like good african america hair care...I have searched the net (only to find nothing). If someone could please point me in the right direction, I would be grateful. I mean really, it shouldn't be this hard to find a place to give you a nice roller set, and maybe a relaxer...you know some weekly upkeep. Does anyone know of anyplace??

Old 06-18-2007, 10:56 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
I just met an African-American hairdresser last week who specializes in African-american hair. I didn't catch his name, but he told me he works at Ficcocello's on Snelling in St Paul.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:45 AM

Oh my Gosh!! thank you so much.....I'll follow up on this!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:54 AM

297 posts, read 841,840 times
mspryce...Unfortunately there are not a lot of Black salons that aren't in "the hood". Lot's of quality stylist end up at salons' like Ficcocello's, Aveda salons, etc. But then you PAY the price. My stylist (who I've been with for almost 7 years) is at Estetica in St Paul (Selby & Dale). She's great and the service is really good (no sitting in the salon for HOURS). But it's pricey. A shampoo/style is about $55. A relaxer is about $110.

Now, there are some good stylists in the city, where a shampoo/style would run $35 maybe and about $65 or so for a relaxer, but the price you pay is often times they aren't very well run and you have a stylist who's overbooked to the max and you end up wasting your whole day sitting...

Old 06-18-2007, 12:23 PM

Thank you for the response. I know how it is to wait in a salon "All Day" when I was in maryland...I went to this one lady for years...but I tell you, the more popular she got...the longer my wait became...but I dealt with it, because I am a creature of habit. Since I have been in the area....I have tried two places....One in Brooklyn Park, called....Chiselors (not very pricey...just regular pricing that you would expect)...the lady there was nice...however, I thought her actual technique was lacking...(not good with perms and stuff) I also tried a place in Minneapolis called "Vasuda" now this place is pricey...I'm talking 70 bucks for a style, and 135 for a relaxer...but they seem to discount it somewhat as you become a preferred client...I guess the problem is...I am not happy with how my hair is turning out going there...I mean really....I go every week, and if I add up all the money I have spent going there since March...it makes my head spin, and to add that to not being simply ecstatic about your style ( I mean it looks the same EVERY week)...that fluffy, flippy look...to me, this is totally just not economical...LOLOL I mean there is not a curling iron stove anywhere in the spot....they use only flat irons...so I guess in saying all of this...I am kind of worried about going to stylists that have been absorbed into the higher end places...what I have gotten so far...tends to be quite watered down and I am starting to think that maybe I should venture back into "the hood" you know?...LOLOL Maybe you could tell me a little more about your stylist...I don't mind the prices..I just want to look OK, and have healthy hair. I have tried looking online...but places like Aveda, won't even say if they are also capable of catering to Ethnic/African American clients...So you end up having no clue...

Last edited by mspryce; 06-18-2007 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-18-2007, 01:23 PM

297 posts, read 841,840 times
Well, my stylist started in the "hood" salons She ended up in the Aveda salon because she liked the idea of collecting a paycheck as opposed to working then paying booth rent.

There is another black stylist and I had her do my hair once...Yikes. She blow dried it and used a plug-in curling iron. My hair looked horrible. My stylist uses good 'ole marcell irons She keeps my hair in tip-top shape. I will tell you, I get overwhelmed with the $$ at times and I will go in just for relaxers. Well, my hair ends up being a mess when I do that! My hair is healthy and gorgeous when I go in on a regular basis. I've seen her do everything from short snips, roller sets, weaves, long styles. I'll send you her name and the # via private msg if you like...

Old 06-18-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Thank You

Thanks! I sent you a private message so that I can get further contact info for your stylist. I'm starting to feel optimistic already...

Old 08-04-2007, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 17,396 times
Default I need help too!

I was starting to think I was too demanding and a complainer. This sounds like my trek!

Have you had a chance to try the stylist recommended?

I've been in the Twin Cities since Feb. 06 from Los Angeles. I continue to search for a competent stylist with creative ideas and nice finishing techniques, you know, I want to look like I just left the salon with shiny, conditioned, bouncy hair. I don't want ghetto fabulous but just the "stylish do" I've been accustomed to.
Please, please send me the information on this stylist? I live in a St. Paul suburb and don't mind going into the city and waiting if it's worth it. Please send any recommendations you know have about "city folk" too!

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:55 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,535 times
I'm thinking of moving to Minneapolis, and I've got the same problem. Are there any salons there that deal with natural Black hair? I've had huge problems finding one in Boston, and I ended up going to the local beauty school.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:16 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
there is one off Glenwood and Cedar Lake Rd about three blocks away from my house called Silver Clip. Its not a bad area at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota