Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:50 PM

204 posts, read 774,484 times

Advertisements

We moved to MN 2 years ago. I find the people somewhat friendly but standoffish. Neighbors stay to themselves-which isn't bad but they don't even wave when we're outside and wave to them. My husband, originally from MN, found this strange. As of now-we have listed our home and are leaving MN.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:52 PM

106 posts, read 572,126 times
My neighbors wave to me. Even speak to me. Even bring me cookies. Even watch my kids.

We're not selling our house.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:30 AM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
I have thought about moving to MN, particularly the Twin Cities, and one of those reasons was "Minnesota nice". Land of 10k lakes.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:14 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,454,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
I feel there is a difference between "nice" and "friendly". Nice is when people smile, wave, or say "hello" but aren't necessarily interested in getting to know you better. Friendly is when someone engages in small talk with someone new and has a genuine interest in knowing something about that person. I think you will find a lot of nice people in Minnesota, but maybe not so many friendly ones. I have heard from many people who relocated here from elsewhere that it is very difficult to make friends; a neighbor of mine told me she thought for the first year she lived here that the "Minnesota Nice" expression was tongue-in-cheek . Minnesotans by and large have their circle of friends and family and aren't always interested in adding to it.
This is so true. I grew up there and know it's hard for outsiders. It's even harder for me when I visit.

Having said this, a coworker of mine in San Francisco once told me that if everyone from Minnesota were as polite as I am, he'd like to live there. Yes, I am polite, but also cool, reserved and distant, although I can come across as very warm (I guess?). I keep to myself and it takes me a LONG time to let you get to know me, and vice versa. Why...it took me years just to have lunch with a coworker. I now live in a neighborhood where the only neighbor I talk to is the next door neighbor (good for me). The people right across from me haven't talked to anyone and they've been there seven years. I'll wave at the people across the street. That's about it.

But then, I chose to leave at an early age, so maybe I'm not your typical Minnesotan

Old 06-16-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Minnesota Passive Agressive is a more accurate term.

Now, now, there is something to be said for being passive aggressive. It does allow one to function well by all appearances, yet still provides for that vengeance.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melt View Post
I'm sorry but I do not see this MN nice we are chatting about here. Some of you are fooling yourselves. From all my experiences in all my travels outside of this state, MN has got to be one of the rudest states out there! I've lived here for 30 years and still have to say, where's the manners? Plain and simple. I'm constantly getting cut off in traffic even though I usually do about 5 over the speed limit or go with the flow. My wife and I when out in public always hold the door for others and about 30% of the time, get a thank you in return. Just the other day we were in line to buy a smoothie at MOA and there was two people in front of us, some woman comes from no where, backs into my wife almost knocking her over and doesn't even say excuse me or sorry. Then has the gull to cut in front of the two people that were waiting in front of us to buy her diet Dew she was so much in a hurry for, then sprints away with her nose in the air. Meanwhile were all looking at each other wondering what just happened. I see this kind of thing on a weekly basis. Plus the winters are horrible and never give us much ambition to do much when it's sub zero temps outside. Besides the people, MN is a beautiful state, but it's time for a change. I'm sorry but we want out of this state.
May I ask where you live (what city) and on what freeways and where you go for smoothies? I don't know what MOA is. This does sound rather shocking to this native Minnesotan.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:42 PM

638 posts, read 3,125,043 times
Quote:
May I ask where you live (what city) and on what freeways and where you go for smoothies? I don't know what MOA is. This does sound rather shocking to this native Minnesotan.

MOA is the Mall of America; one of the biggest tourist draws in the Twin Cities these days.

The assumption being made here is that this rude lady is a Minnesotan; but there are more non-Minnesotans at the MOA than otherwise.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:20 PM

184 posts, read 1,020,040 times
I go to the Mall of America once every 5 years. Only when out-town-company wants to see it, and I am unable to talk them out of it.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 PM

638 posts, read 3,125,043 times
I've been to the MOA all of 4 times since it was built; but I'm the type of person who doesn't care to shop. My daughter works right in that area, and she will run in there if she is in a hurry to get something for work; otherwise she prefers to go elsewhere too. And *she* seems to have been "born to shop!" -she takes after her father!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:15 PM

21 posts, read 65,894 times
The only time "Minnesota Nice" exists is if you are a visitor to an area and spending money! Move to an area you found to be "Nice" friendly and appealing and you will soon see a change in people.

I vacationed in the same Northern Mn. area for thirty years and made numerous friends, then I retired and moved to the area and the first thing I found was our oldest close friends let their kids shaft us. Speak up to them about it they will deny it. Take action to solve the problem and you will end up on the "Big S... List" before you can sneeze. If you aren't a redneck or native to the area then you are nothing.

Job opportunities in most of the rural out state areas of Minnesota are very poor. Those areas that do have some industry seem like they prefer to hire local natives or someone who has a relative or friend already working for them?

While I do not mind winter weather the winters in Northern Minnesota can be very long Starting in October and lasting until May. This year we had our last frost May 30th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota