Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:52 PM

129 posts, read 663,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Born and raised in MN and you couldn't pay me to move back there any more than you could pay me to eat Sushi. I remember just cranking the thermostat to 100 and standing right next to the heating vent to try to warm up. Taking long hot showers just to try to warm myself up.

Contrary to some opinions, one NEVER gets used to the freezing tundra -- when it stings your toes and hands to be outside for five minutes. I lived in San Diego for seven years and hope it's not too late for you to reconsider.

Now I live in AZ. I guess it was 108 or so today. I don't like it, but I tolerate it. I just stay indoors and set the thermostat to 78. If I go somewhere where I think it might be too cold, I take a sweater. I'm sure I look like a freak, but who cares. Honestly, San Diego has the most perfect weather in the country. Oh well, good luck.
I HATED growing up in minnesota - on welfare it wasn't easy especially with the ****in heater constantly breaking, in a house over 100 years old (112 at the time, by the railroad tracks off lakestreet) with no insulation

Thank god I got out of that ****hole, what a TERRIBLE place to live - although that's my temperment, I remember people complaining when in the summer it got really muggy and hot (110) but I LOVED it, in 105 degree weather I jogged from downtown minneapolis, up the 8 mile trail to saint louis park, and then to the southdale mall

but anything below 50 degrees I really hate (ie fall weather, it gives me chapped lips and runny nose, **** that bull****)

So you can imagine how much I hated -20, -30, -40 etc

There's a reason that our population in Minneapolis is nearly 1 million, and LA's is 5 million - people agree that warm (perfect) weather > cold weather

I will NEVER move back - what a TERRIBLE place, Hated it hate it still
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 02:59 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
There's a reason that our population in Minneapolis is nearly 1 million, and LA's is 5 million - people agree that warm (perfect) weather > cold weather
Wrong.

This has more to do with your numbers than anything else.

Minneapolis City Limits
58.4 sq mi

Los Angeles City Limits
498.3 sq mi

Last edited by moving123456; 08-06-2007 at 03:09 PM..

Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Wrong.

Minneapolis City Limits
58.4 sq mi

Los Angeles City Limits
498.3 sq mi
Minneapolis proper is only a little over 380,000 people, and St. Paul around 275,000 or so. The vast majority of the Twin Cities population (roughly 3 million) is in the surrounding suburbs, not in the city proper.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:41 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Minneapolis proper is only a little over 380,000 people, and St. Paul around 275,000 or so. The vast majority of the Twin Cities population (roughly 3 million) is in the surrounding suburbs, not in the city proper.
Correct, so if the Minneapolis proper city limits were expanded to cover almost 500 square miles making it equal in land area to the Los Angeles proper city limits, the city proper populations would be much closer to each other.

I know the Los Angeles "metro area" still has a much larger population overall though.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,071 times
The suburbs of Minneapolis are much less dense than the suburbs of L.A. If what is now the massive suburban mees that is the Twin Cities were to contain the population of the L.A. Metro area, it would probably cover the whole state of Minnesota and Wisconsin with low density suburbs and traffic clogged freeways. This will proably happen years from now if trends stay the same.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:54 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times
I spent 31 years in Minnesota... Ramsey and Isanti. It was easy. If it gets too cold, you just put more clothing on! Not like being in the south or in a desert. How many cloths can you take off?????

Old 08-16-2007, 10:51 PM

130 posts, read 527,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Wrong.

Minneapolis City Limits
58.4 sq mi

Los Angeles City Limits
498.3 sq mi
Lol, yeah ya think Minneapolis is just a tad bit smaller than LA? Still Laughing.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:38 PM

74 posts, read 220,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjukken View Post
i like hot bether than cold..

but then im a Norwegian.. hot here is like 30 C (86 F).
Tho we dont have reel cold anymore. coldest this winter is -22 C (-7.6 F)
And that is not cold..

my coldest night sleeping in a tent was - 45 C (-49 F) (intresting to se how C and F meets at - 40

TJ..
I have lived in Southern Minnesota all my life, and let me tell you, sick of the cold,loved it when I was growing up, snowball fights, sledding , skating and all. i am now 44 and so so so sick of freezing all the time, even though your use to it, still cold no matter what. so me and the hubby are buying a new home in Tennessee, near Gatlinburg. The ladies will understand this, now I am warm, pre menopause and all, love the tennessee mountains and fresh air, and no extra layers on. Will probably sit in the house after work on real hot days, omg what are hot days like compared to hot days here? for the person asking about how to deal with the extreme cold, have a generator, or kerosene heater in case electricity goes out. Lots of sweaters, warm socks,and sweaters. Love Minnesota, will be nice to come back and visit.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:05 PM

18 posts, read 86,484 times
I haven't read all of the postings but has anyone been in the Twin Cities lately? The average the past few weeks has been in the 90's and humid. My teens were in Florida the day of the 35W bridge collapse and it was 91 in Orlando when it was 93 degrees here. Where else can you have that kind of heat and snow at Christmas. I think the average temp from Dec til March is in the mid 20's. But we have had a few 60 degree days in Feb. in recent years. Maybe it's Global warming.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:53 PM

16 posts, read 49,750 times
Default A matter of perspective....

I have lived in CA and in MN. Honestly, I would take Minnesota over California. The temperate weather is nice, but the air is so foul you can taste it!!! It was horrible there. As for the cold, you do get used to it. Someone earlier on had it right.... After -30, 20 degrees seems down right comfortable!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota