Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:45 PM

18 posts, read 80,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
The state record is -60 (actual temp). The record was broken in 1996 in Tower, MN. .
Yup! I moved to Northeast Minnesota on the weekend of Feb 3rd 1996, although at the time we did not know it, will be one of the coldest days in history. The Duluth Tribune headline "How Low: 60 Below... Friday was the coldest February day ever for most of the Northland..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 05:51 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,604 times
I grew up in NW MN and did move south for the warmer weather; all the way south to the Twin Cities!

As a kid, we'd put on our ice skates every night and go shovel off the hockey rink and skate for 2+ hours with short breaks in the warming house to thaw out our frost bit toes. I'm still paying for that 50 years later! It was colder then, I know that we were often skating in -30 and -40 F temps and it didn't phase us much because we were active and moving and dressed for the weather. It WAS colder back then, I just saw this report (on the dwindling moose population in NW MN) which states that:
Quote:
Average winter temperatures in northwestern Minnesota have climbed about 12 degrees during the past 40 years and average summer temperatures have increased by four degrees.
http://www.grandmarais-mn.com/placed/index.php?story_id=229048 (broken link)

I remember visiting San Francisco in March one year and we were wearing long sleeved shirts while the natives were dressed in *heavy* winter coats! I believe it was 50-60 degrees while we were there and we were comfortable in just our shirts; but people looked at us like we were nuts!

It all depends on what you are used to; as a kid, the -30 to -40 didn't bother me but now I do complain whenever I get in -20 F temps. But I'm not wearing the warm woolen snowpants we used to have back then either!

I forgot to mention that the idea of BIG bugs keeps me up here in the northern climates! The idea of termites, huge spiders, and other creepy crawlies keeps me here; just battling with mosquitoes is enough for me!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:18 PM

319 posts, read 493,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZBOY15 View Post
I can't even imagine the wind chill being 50 below, with a temp in the mid -30s. How do you deal with it? I've lived in San Diego my whole life and I thought it was freezing when it got down to 23 a couple of weeks ago. It hasn't been that cold in at least 15 years, the weather people said.

Does this cold bother you? Have you had to adjust after a move, or are you a native?
How can you stand the endless days of sunshine and warmth?

Old 05-22-2007, 07:13 PM

106 posts, read 571,792 times
As a Minnesotan, I don't understand how someone could deal with those kinds of temps either.

I've lived in this state for a total of 4,380 days (12 years). I think I've felt -30 degrees maybe 4 or 5 times. And I've never felt -60. I can't imagine what that would feel like.

Maybe a better thread for the Alaska board.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:35 AM

5 posts, read 17,709 times
lol i lived in minnesota all my life and i guess i got used to it, but to tell you the truth. i think people in minnesota who went to a super hot place feel the same way as a person who went from a hot place to a super cold place. i mean i went to visit vietnam back a few years ago and wow it was so hot! it was like 90-100 degrees there and i couldn't stand the heat, at night i couldn't sleep because it's so sweaty and stuff, i had to have like 3 fans point at the bed so i can lay and sleep fine. i guess people who lived in a hot place all their life get used to it as people who lived in cold places get used to it.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:46 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Born and raised in MN and you couldn't pay me to move back there any more than you could pay me to eat Sushi. I remember just cranking the thermostat to 100 and standing right next to the heating vent to try to warm up. Taking long hot showers just to try to warm myself up.

Contrary to some opinions, one NEVER gets used to the freezing tundra -- when it stings your toes and hands to be outside for five minutes. I lived in San Diego for seven years and hope it's not too late for you to reconsider.

Now I live in AZ. I guess it was 108 or so today. I don't like it, but I tolerate it. I just stay indoors and set the thermostat to 78. If I go somewhere where I think it might be too cold, I take a sweater. I'm sure I look like a freak, but who cares. Honestly, San Diego has the most perfect weather in the country. Oh well, good luck.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:55 AM

184 posts, read 1,019,606 times
San Diego does have perfect weather. I don't need to move to San Diego anytime soon, but when I visit I know I'll enjoy the weather.

Weather is just 1 of many factors I consider when choosing where I want to live. For those to whom it is the single most important factor, then they probably rule out places like Minnesota and Massachusetts (cold) and Florida and Arizona (hot) immediately.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:48 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,554 times
Default don't stay indoors!

Contrary to many of the posts, you don't have to stay indoors when it's -20. Dress for it and stay ACTIVE and you can even enjoy it! Go for a run or cross-country ski (been there, done that). Having lived in AK and gone to college in MN, I can say that you do adjust. I've been outdoors at -20 with only a heavy wool sweater - as long as I was active it was fine. Just make sure you head indoors or add a lot of layers once you stop!

Old 08-05-2007, 04:05 PM

157 posts, read 716,220 times
There is a weather phenomenon. When it gets below 20 below, it will FEEL the same on your skin. However it is deceptive. Don't be outside for more than 20 minutes at a time. If you are out longer than that, the effect of the cold on your skin is the same as a blazing hot sun at over 90 degrees. And you CAN get skin cancer. And you skin will freeze and fall off. That is commonly called FROSTBITE.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,604 times
When you are outside in cold weather, cover your skin and it won't bother you. When it's -20 or lower; I always wear a hat and a scarf across my face (a nice fluffy angora one that I wrap around my neck 2-3 times and adjust up and down across my cheeks, nose and mouth) and always wear gloves or mittens (mittens are better in the coldest weather) so no skin is exposed to the cold. You can stay out for hours if you are active and dressed right. There are also the little face masks made from fleece that cover the nse, cheeks, mouth and chin for running or cross-country skiing.

The secret is to dress right for the weather and you can be out in the cold as long as you want. Oh. And do NOT drink alcohol when you are enjoying the outdoors. It will lower your body temp and also prevent you from being aware of hypothermia or frostbite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota