Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:03 PM

987 posts, read 3,826,193 times

Advertisements

If someone doesn't like something it's their problem, not yours. Why should anyone make it your problem by telling you straight to your face? It doesn't accomplish anything. If I'm uptight about the way you dress, or the way you roll your o's, and I realize it's because of my insecurity, I should therefore deal with it as such.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,892,437 times
I think this is hilarious... Born, raised and lived in MN for 50+ years.. It may have changed now, but MN nice used to be if someone stopped you on the street and asked something or needed help - you would direct them or ....., not like in other big cities where they would just keep going and bypass someone needing help - MN nice then had nothing to do with backstabbing, be nice to your face and wait till you left and see what I say..., If this is what people think it is now...So glad I am not there, though it will always be home...I take back hilarious - it is sad

Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,928,024 times
Grannsyroost--no, don't feel sad because that isn't the way it is. Its just how a very few newbies feel. People still help others out. I have had people sneer at that, too. People who haven't grown up in the country have told me that when people wave to you from another car as you pass, they aren't being friendly, they are only making sure you know that they "know" you are there and don't want to deal with you. Really. I have had at least two people say that. How ridiculous. I grew up in the country, and I wave. I know I don't do it for a malicious reason, nor does anyone I know do. Its simply a way of acknowledging we are traveling the same lonely road and we may be neighbors that haven't met yet.

So, it's with that same attitude that some people might think it is rude and being a busybody and gossip that someone would actually come up to you and ask if you need help. In reality, it is simply being a good person and neighbor.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:44 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,139,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Grannsyroost--no, don't feel sad because that isn't the way it is. Its just how a very few newbies feel. People still help others out. I have had people sneer at that, too. People who haven't grown up in the country have told me that when people wave to you from another car as you pass, they aren't being friendly, they are only making sure you know that they "know" you are there and don't want to deal with you. Really. I have had at least two people say that. How ridiculous. I grew up in the country, and I wave. I know I don't do it for a malicious reason, nor does anyone I know do. Its simply a way of acknowledging we are traveling the same lonely road and we may be neighbors that haven't met yet.
The same sort of tradition exists on the water up at CrossLake, and I'm sure other lakes with an active boating community. When you pass other boaters in canals and other low-speed areas, you wave -- it's more a sign of respect or mutual greeting than anything else, like smiling and modding at someone you might pass by on foot.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:19 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,577,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The same sort of tradition exists on the water up at CrossLake, and I'm sure other lakes with an active boating community. When you pass other boaters in canals and other low-speed areas, you wave -- it's more a sign of respect or mutual greeting than anything else, like smiling and modding at someone you might pass by on foot.
I think that is how to differentiate a Minnesotan most. To an outsider, most lakes here would look like a marine equivalent of Cheers, where every boater knows your name. A Minnesotan knows that every person who you just waved to is a complete stranger.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:53 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,139,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I think that is how to differentiate a Minnesotan most. To an outsider, most lakes here would look like a marine equivalent of Cheers, where every boater knows your name. A Minnesotan knows that every person who you just waved to is a complete stranger.
There are a LOT of people boating on the Whitefish chain. I'd like to get to know some of them.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 AM

989 posts, read 2,968,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
There are a LOT of people boating on the Whitefish chain. I'd like to get to know some of them.
Grill up some brats. They will come sniffin around like rats on cheese.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:25 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,928,024 times
Another example of Minnesota Nice came to me today while I was driving. An old professor of mine didn't grow up in the northern midwest. She was still new to Duluth when they had the chemical spill and had to evacuate the city. She found herself going up the hill, ending up at that crazy 5-or 6-way intersection they use to have just below Miller Hill. She was amazed as she saw everyone (from all directions) patiently taking their turns around and around--no one honking even--as they all tried to get out of the city. That is MN Nice.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:32 PM

4 posts, read 11,386 times
Question MN nice....? really? never heard of it.....

I never knew there was this thing called "MN nice"...
until Fargo and thee internet...
it was something that just never came up...

I have lived in MN suburbs all my life and have left the state twice,
once to DC for 3 days of monuments, no talking to people...
and to the center of Iowa, which amazed me by how flat it was...

I have never considered MN's nice... quiet, snobbish and clique-ish, maybe.
Thought that MN's were just the average creepy humans.
Talking behind the back, figured that was a normal human trait.
In general, humans are evil creatures.

What disturbed me more is the MN speak...
that horrified me... now if I do ever leave... I can't talk to people.

that whole state love thing... i have nothing to compare it to...
to say if this is a good or bad state... it is just a state.

I do think it is a good state to test a car, with all the conditions...

sorry?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:01 PM

68 posts, read 277,350 times
I've lived here 10 years and lived on the East Coast before that. This place is not "nice" it is "fake" and I wish MN would start realizing it. We've had visitors here from all over the country and they all say the same thing about you folks. They don't think you are "nice" or "friendly" and they also think you coddle you kids and make fools of yourselves with the fake voice/long explanations you use when talking to your little ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota