Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 07:08 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Forget about pay and 401ks, I can’t believe you would plunge into our winters. Have you visited here in January? If you do move here I would love to hear how it goes and how you get through the first winter. Come back to the thread next summer and give us an update?

I grew up in Miami. He'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 07:18 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
SIX months of cold?

I follow MSP weather closely here in Boston. If you or anyone thinks highs are in the 30s or 20s for SIX months, and lows are below zero or no higher than freezing for six months, plus constant snowbanks and ice patches in the actual downtown areas and nearby suburbs, well, I think you're mistaken.

Hopefully locals here can back me.

Similarly, many people seem to think Boston is snowed in for six months also. Very little snow this year in Boston -- and most Christmases have no snow!

It's funny how stereotypes persist.

Well, "cold" is objective, however, as a local I will not "back" you. This is wrong. I will be the first to admit that weather and the climate here isn't ideal in the winter, but it's not nearly as bad as outsiders believe.

There is this notion that because it's "cold" life is automatically horrible.

- The winter in Minnesota (Minnesota is a big state land-wise, I am in the Twin Cities) generally starts sometime around Thanksgiving, or late November. The first substantial snowfall usually occurs around this time, but it's not rare to have brown Christmases.

I guess it's all relative, but high temps fall to about 40 degrees by the end of November, lows being around 26.

If we agree that winter starts, let's say November 20, that means December (avg H: 27, avg L:12), January (avg H: 24, avg L: 8), February (avg H: 29, avg L: 23), March (avg H: 41, avg L: 24).

I would say winter ends by late March. That's 4 months of "cold" - keep in mind, "cold" is all relative. April brings average highs near 60 and average lows of 40.

I've golfed in Minnesota in every month minus January.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:57 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Well, "cold" is objective, however, as a local I will not "back" you. This is wrong. I will be the first to admit that weather and the climate here isn't ideal in the winter, but it's not nearly as bad as outsiders believe.

There is this notion that because it's "cold" life is automatically horrible.

- The winter in Minnesota (Minnesota is a big state land-wise, I am in the Twin Cities) generally starts sometime around Thanksgiving, or late November. The first substantial snowfall usually occurs around this time, but it's not rare to have brown Christmases.

I guess it's all relative, but high temps fall to about 40 degrees by the end of November, lows being around 26.

If we agree that winter starts, let's say November 20, that means December (avg H: 27, avg L:12), January (avg H: 24, avg L: 8), February (avg H: 29, avg L: 23), March (avg H: 41, avg L: 24).

I would say winter ends by late March. That's 4 months of "cold" - keep in mind, "cold" is all relative. April brings average highs near 60 and average lows of 40.

I've golfed in Minnesota in every month minus January.

I’ve golfed in MN in January a number of times.

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/lakeshor...5d4c8e4d0.html

Old 10-18-2020, 11:10 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I think you mean “subjective,” not “objective.”

Old 10-19-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I think you mean “subjective,” not “objective.”
SMDH. You're right.. Ouch for this.. Thanks

Old 10-19-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I’ve golfed in MN in January a number of times.

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/lakeshor...5d4c8e4d0.html
LOL!!!!

I should have said I've golfed on grass with solid greens every month except January!!

Old 11-13-2020, 11:58 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,214,610 times
There’s a reason we don’t plant until Memorial Day. Take your chances if you do early. We have a birthday in end of May and we’ve has snow more times than not. Once in a while we can hit the pool. I’m a MN native and November thru May is my winter. Sometimes October. Unless you like winter sports prepare to hunker down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota