Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 11:33 AM

14 posts, read 14,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I think you mean the MN property tax credit for renters and it’s gross household income.
So I take it I wouldn’t qualify even I were to make deductions to a 401k and or hsa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 12:16 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFrogtown View Post
Thanks and yes I’m single with no kids. I’m surprised how expensive 1 bedroom apartments are. It’s like every apartment with garage parking is at least $1000 in Minneapolis and surrounding suburbs. I wonder if high taxes are a cause of this.
No, it’s supply and demand.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:25 PM

440 posts, read 240,121 times
Property taxes in Minneapolis are just a bit higher than in San Diego. About 25% higher. Compare that to some other places like Cleveland that is nearly 3 times higher.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy49 View Post
Property taxes in Minneapolis are just a bit higher than in San Diego. About 25% higher. Compare that to some other places like Cleveland that is nearly 3 times higher.

Wow, I wonder it’s so high.Doesnt surprise me why it’s so high here in San Diego.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:04 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Quote:
So I take it I wouldn’t qualify even I were to make deductions to a 401k and or hsa?
Your 401k contribution is deductible but it’s taxes so nothing is simple. Here’s the explanation of household income from Minnesota Revenue that will walk you through the calculation.

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/site...pr_inst_19.pdf

Last edited by Glenfield; 06-27-2020 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 11:39 AM

542 posts, read 447,858 times
Quote:
The nature of your questions suggests you might be a FIRE advocate?

A simple and not exactly accurate assessment suggests you could save close to 10k a year. I visited San Diego last year with the family (I've got friends in Cali and have gone there many times). Loved it. However, one thing I noted was the cost of gas. It seemed to be $1 or greater difference from here. I used Gasbuddy and found that it was $2.79 to $1.79 at Costco in San Diego/Eden Prairie,mn. But I won't include it bc I don't know how much gas you consume in a year. But, I won't be surprised if you can figure out an additional 2k in some savings gas+ and some other activity you do.

Savings
3000 increased wage
5000 rent savings
2000 M1PR

equals. 10k roughly (of course not exactly bc that additional income is taxed unless it non-taxable income)

I don't know what your taxable income is, but you might save additional money based on my glance at the California tax brackets.

So, even if you have reservations of coming here, if you set a 3 year goal of saving as much as possible, you could probably save an additional 10k a year. If you put that in your 401k, HSA, Roth, or just a brokerage account, I think that would make a big difference in your future. For instance, if you are 25 and plan to start withdrawing your money at 65, you could have an additional 1,200,000 dollars assuming you invested it in the SP 500 index fund with a low cost like a Vanguard fund (this assumes the average 10% rate of return-10k at 40 years, + 10k at 39 years, and + 10k at 38 years).

You probably could save more than 10k. But, you would need to get more granular investigating your current budget.

This would also allow you to make better diagonal career moves for increased wages in the future. The people that are miserable here tend to be transplants who hyper focus on politics, weather(cold), and/or making friends with native born people from Minnesota. I don't think things change much around here except for people's mental state.

DO NOT RESPOND to your future plans like you plan to do a 3 or 5 years plan. There is an outside chance your future employer could be reading this forum (even though it is highly unlikely, it is possible). At most, I estimate a couple of hundred people read these message in Minnesota and even fewer actually post.

Don't work harder, work smarter. Time is your friend for the young, expecially compounding interest in investments.

I've been preaching this to my kids for years. They seem to get it, but time will tell.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 06-28-2020 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 11:07 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,214,610 times
Forget about pay and 401ks, I can’t believe you would plunge into our winters. Have you visited here in January? If you do move here I would love to hear how it goes and how you get through the first winter. Come back to the thread next summer and give us an update?

Old 07-03-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Forget about pay and 401ks, I can’t believe you would plunge into our winters. Have you visited here in January? If you do move here I would love to hear how it goes and how you get through the first winter. Come back to the thread next summer and give us an update?
Physically I can handle it, I’ve been in the area during harsh winters. But mentally that 6 month stretch of cold is hard to swallow especially when coming from SoCal. If offered a six figure salary that would ease a lot of reservations.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:05 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
Quote:
Physically I can handle it, I’ve been in the area during harsh winters. But mentally that 6 month stretch of cold is hard to swallow especially when coming from SoCal. If offered a six figure salary that would ease a lot of reservations.
SIX months of cold?

I follow MSP weather closely here in Boston. If you or anyone thinks highs are in the 30s or 20s for SIX months, and lows are below zero or no higher than freezing for six months, plus constant snowbanks and ice patches in the actual downtown areas and nearby suburbs, well, I think you're mistaken.

Hopefully locals here can back me.

Similarly, many people seem to think Boston is snowed in for six months also. Very little snow this year in Boston -- and most Christmases have no snow!

It's funny how stereotypes persist.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:57 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,451 times
Quote:
Having going on 55 years of Northern Minnesota Winters, I can say with confidence that the winters are not that bad. It is part of why we live up here, and mostly what makes it such a great place to live. IT is also why there are so many things to do in the winter, and why so many people choose to live here, in it. Winter is not what you think it is. It does get very cold that is for sure. Many times I am dressed for being out in the cold driving anyway somewhere, and have the windows down part way, many times just sitting in the car or my truck is plenty warm. Winter is not that bad at all. It does get very cold though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota