Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 08:19 PM

15 posts, read 9,258 times

Advertisements

I have lived many years in both Rochester NY and Cary NC, very short stints in St. Paul and Austin, and I'm now in Dallas for work. My husband and I found things we enjoy in each city we've been in, but now that we are into our 60's, we really need to decide where to finally settle for retirement. We both feel a wonderful sense of homeyness in MN, it's truly a beautiful state, so it's definitely on our list of considerations. We're also considering NC, or perhaps stay in TX (although it's definitely not a pretty state). I know, I know...vastly different places. I'm hoping someone might have advice to share about retirement there in MN. The pieces that we find attractive: the beauty (lush and green), we like the change of seasons, great airport with many non-stop flights, and good healthcare. The pieces that give us pause: how much the hard winters might affect older folks and impact of high taxes on a fixed income.

Wisdom to share, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 03:52 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
Some cannot handle the winters in Minnesota, so consider that. I do not mind winter, yes it can get very cold./* have lived in Northern Minnesota, NE Minnesota my entire life, over 55 years of Northern Minnesota Winters, but cannot imagine living anywhere else. To me it is the very best, the summer, the fall and like you said, the seasons.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:34 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox58 View Post
I have lived many years in both Rochester NY and Cary NC, very short stints in St. Paul and Austin, and I'm now in Dallas for work. My husband and I found things we enjoy in each city we've been in, but now that we are into our 60's, we really need to decide where to finally settle for retirement. We both feel a wonderful sense of homeyness in MN, it's truly a beautiful state, so it's definitely on our list of considerations. We're also considering NC, or perhaps stay in TX (although it's definitely not a pretty state). I know, I know...vastly different places. I'm hoping someone might have advice to share about retirement there in MN. The pieces that we find attractive: the beauty (lush and green), we like the change of seasons, great airport with many non-stop flights, and good healthcare. The pieces that give us pause: how much the hard winters might affect older folks and impact of high taxes on a fixed income.

Wisdom to share, anyone?
It is SO green here right now!

Old 05-29-2020, 03:13 PM

I'm actually flying up there tomorrow, spending a week. Looking forward to it! Any more input is most welcome. Regarding taxes... is your Social Security taxed at full federal tax levels, or is it more of a sliding scale?

Old 05-29-2020, 03:30 PM

3,784 posts, read 5,327,781 times
You should check out Minneapolis. I hear that it's a riot.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:44 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox58 View Post

Wisdom to share, anyone?
Minnesota is tough on retired folks and I don't mean the weather!!!

https://smartasset.com/retirement/mi...tirement-taxes

Minnesota Retirement Taxes
It is one of the few states that taxes Social Security income. It also taxes other forms of retirement income while providing no deduction or exemption for seniors. In other words, if you're a retiree in Minnesota expect to pay taxes on your retirement income at rates from 5.35% to 9.85%.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:57 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,857 times
Places that we find attractive.
Lush and green
Change of seasons
Great airport with many non-stop flights
Good healthcare

You're talking about the North Georgia Mountains. It's an area of incredible beauty and a great atmosphere. The big city amenities are close enough, but far enough away. The airport is tops. And many of Atlanta's best doctors have offices in the mountain towns as they also have weekend homes up there.

My favorite place is the valley north of Brasstown Bald, the highest mountain in the state. Young Harris, GA and Hiawassee are where the mountains meet the lakes. Breathtaking scenery.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:17 PM

127 posts, read 83,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Lmao... yea a bunch of good people down there “protesting” lol!!!

Old 05-31-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post

LOL! I'm sitting here now in an apartment on Snelling (for those that know the St. Paul area) - gorgeous sunrise and promises to be a lovely day to get outside. We did a lot of walking yesterday - no problems in this particular neighborhood, but many stores and shops have boarded up their windows anyway.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Places that we find attractive.
Lush and green
Change of seasons
Great airport with many non-stop flights
Good healthcare

You're talking about the North Georgia Mountains. It's an area of incredible beauty and a great atmosphere. The big city amenities are close enough, but far enough away. The airport is tops. And many of Atlanta's best doctors have offices in the mountain towns as they also have weekend homes up there.

My favorite place is the valley north of Brasstown Bald, the highest mountain in the state. Young Harris, GA and Hiawassee are where the mountains meet the lakes. Breathtaking scenery.

Interesting! We'll try to pull up some info on towns in that North Georgia area. Hadn't considered it before. Someone else suggested Greenville, SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota