Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 01:44 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
FWIW, I took your post as one of concern for his well being. Plenty of people are deciding to dial back on social media.
Thanks for noticing. I always appreciate your balanced POV. While you are opinionated (so am I), you do so with tact and professionalism. I get the feeling a forum like C-D helps/challenges your reasoning. As in, if you can't defend your POV, maybe it's not sound. The arguments you put forth are ones that I don't always agree with but I see your logic. i.e. your opinions can help shape mine. So I respect your POV and enjoy your participation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 02:10 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Thanks for noticing. I always appreciate your balanced POV. While you are opinionated (so am I), you do so with tact and professionalism. I get the feeling a forum like C-D helps/challenges your reasoning. As in, if you can't defend your POV, maybe it's not sound. The arguments you put forth are ones that I don't always agree with but I see your logic. i.e. your opinions can help shape mine. So I respect your POV and enjoy your participation.
Thank you. I find you to be one of the more thoughtful and courteous commenters. I honestly believe that two people can look at an issue and, in good faith, have different views.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:28 AM

471 posts, read 404,171 times
I am curious how you factor in the community "feel" for your retirement decision. For me, I am looking for 'big city' amenities like shopping and restaurants, but small town community. I want to live with people who are more social, yet have enough space so I have privacy of residence (some acreage).

Contradictory goals, to say the least. Hard to get real privacy in a large city, so there are trade-offs for sure.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:46 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
I am curious how you factor in the community "feel" for your retirement decision. For me, I am looking for 'big city' amenities like shopping and restaurants, but small town community. I want to live with people who are more social, yet have enough space so I have privacy of residence (some acreage).

Contradictory goals, to say the least. Hard to get real privacy in a large city, so there are trade-offs for sure.
Small towns offer the least privacy. You can live out on 40 acres but everyone knows your business.

Next comes the city, where you are generally anonymous in the crowds, but your neighbors can hear you talking in your backyard.

Most private is a single family home on a large lot in the suburbs. Neighbors will recognize your car but not your face.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Small towns offer the least privacy. You can live out on 40 acres but everyone knows your business.

Next comes the city, where you are generally anonymous in the crowds, but your neighbors can hear you talking in your backyard.

Most private is a single family home on a large lot in the suburbs. Neighbors will recognize your car but not your face.

Yeah, and therein lies the rub. It is VERY HARD to find a large lot home in a large city/town. For me, I would need at least 1.5 acres with bordering trees and home placement of neighbors spaced far enough that I rarely hear what my neighbors are doing.

And if you do find it, it is priced accordingly (not affordable). So I have been focusing in Alabama, northern Georgia, and Tennessee, at least for now.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:43 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Yeah, and therein lies the rub. It is VERY HARD to find a large lot home in a large city/town. For me, I would need at least 1.5 acres with bordering trees and home placement of neighbors spaced far enough that I rarely hear what my neighbors are doing.

And if you do find it, it is priced accordingly (not affordable). So I have been focusing in Alabama, northern Georgia, and Tennessee, at least for now.

Well first you have to decide if you want people around or you don't. It's easy enough to live outside a Med (20K) town and have land and drive in or live in the burbs on a big lot.

Personally I don't want to retire to isolation. I saw that happen with my parents and it wasn't good for them.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:08 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Quote:

I too am one that needs room. I really enjoy cutting grass, and if I cannot cut it in 45 minutes I'll just get a bigger mower or tractor. We are so blessed to have our main house, a second home on a beautiful lake/river an hour away and a RV in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Your idea to focus in Alabama, North Georgia and Tennessee is right on with your priority list. And there are dozens of great towns to consider that have very good quality of life and low cost of living. As I get older, good weather and 4 seasons gets increasingly important.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I too am one that needs room. I really enjoy cutting grass, and if I cannot cut it in 45 minutes I'll just get a bigger mower or tractor. We are so blessed to have our main house, a second home on a beautiful lake/river an hour away and a RV in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Your idea to focus in Alabama, North Georgia and Tennessee is right on with your priority list. And there are dozens of great towns to consider that have very good quality of life and low cost of living. As I get older, good weather and 4 seasons gets increasingly important.

We liked some of the areas around Huntsville and just south of Birmingham. Birmingham even has Whataburger! Just hard to find the right property. We also visited the Chattanooga area. Same issue. Hard to find acreage.

I like the idea of considering medium sized towns in those areas. Just not sure where to begin/where to look. Coming from Texas, it would be a major relocation. Parts of Texas are very friendly, and I am just not sure where to find the friendlier areas in the new places. Yeah, weather is important too, and I hear northeastern TN is the holy grail for good weather days. Being near a lake or river would be nice though not essential. Kayaking is fun.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:34 PM

5,947 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Stay away ,nine members of the City Council want to defund the police department. Some say its just a thought, Sure ,you want to chance that ?

Old 06-07-2020, 06:30 PM

15 posts, read 9,248 times
I find the neighborhoods of St. Paul to be absolutely charming, tree-lined streets and big front porches, but I think the price point to live in that area will likely take it off our list of possibilities. We're taking a trip to Western North Carolina in about a month to take a look at Hendersonville and other communities in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota