Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 08:44 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox58 View Post
LOL! I'm sitting here now in an apartment on Snelling (for those that know the St. Paul area) - gorgeous sunrise and promises to be a lovely day to get outside. We did a lot of walking yesterday - no problems in this particular neighborhood, but many stores and shops have boarded up their windows anyway.
Any chance Snuffy's Malt Shop will open soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 12:03 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
If arthritic, there's nothing like the SW for that. As much as I hate Las Vegas, it would be more perfect in that they only get 3-4 inches of precip. a year, driest city in the country. And, if arthritic, it's dryness you're looking for.

I moved out of Minneapolis in 1993, and my arthritis problems have been history ever since. Unless we have one of our rare rainstorms with the humidity the next day.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:43 PM

85 posts, read 94,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox58 View Post
I have lived many years in both Rochester NY and Cary NC, very short stints in St. Paul and Austin, and I'm now in Dallas for work. My husband and I found things we enjoy in each city we've been in, but now that we are into our 60's, we really need to decide where to finally settle for retirement. We both feel a wonderful sense of homeyness in MN, it's truly a beautiful state, so it's definitely on our list of considerations. We're also considering NC, or perhaps stay in TX (although it's definitely not a pretty state). I know, I know...vastly different places. I'm hoping someone might have advice to share about retirement there in MN. The pieces that we find attractive: the beauty (lush and green), we like the change of seasons, great airport with many non-stop flights, and good healthcare. The pieces that give us pause: how much the hard winters might affect older folks and impact of high taxes on a fixed income.

Wisdom to share, anyone?

You don't say in your post what your political beliefs are. If progressive, then yes, Minneapolis/St. Paul are perfect for you. Stay out of all the nasty "Red" states. Limousine liberals should stay in the mess they made and not vote their beliefs in low tax states. You voted for high tax, progressive ideas? Stay in the progressive areas. Pay your share and take your medicine. Illinois would be another nice state if you share progressive values. Odd how the progressives there choose to retire out of state with their heavy pension benefits.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Texas and Florida are popular for tax and insurance reasons. they also have relatively mild climates (or mild to hot). South Dakota is also very popular for tax and insurance reasons, but it is not the best place to live. I think Arizon is 50% populated with retired Canadians - at least in the winter months.

My plan is to domicile in South Dakota and live in a nice motor-home owned by a Montana LLC. we will likely spend a month in each of Colorado, Texas, Maryland, Michigan and TBD and another month driving in between those five locations. the other months will be leisurely touring of the United states and Canada with possibly a month or so in Mexico once or twice ever. So, we will kind of live everywhere, but our official domocile will be South Dakota (unless the laws change)

Old 06-03-2020, 12:25 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
You should check out Minneapolis. I hear that it's a riot.
Oh man, I needed that!

OP, Minnesota is no longer what it was.......not even when we moved here 3 years ago. I don't know when you lived here previously, but the radical liberal politicians have destroyed this place.....and if Biden somehow gets into the White House next year it's only going to get worse. They somehow managed to turn a beautiful state with the best economy in the Midwest into a circus sideshow for all the world to gawk at in disbelief. The governor destroyed small businesses and the economy with his ridiculous virus edicts and then teamed with the "mayor" of Minneapolis to allow this rioting to happen and spread across the globe on the heels of the terrible injustice brought about by the Minneapolis Police Department, which has been a bastion of dysfunction going way further back than what most have seen only recently. They talked a big game the whole time about reforming that department but obviously did next to nothing. All grandstanding. Before all that the DFL pols started trucking in Africans and dumping them in the big cities and rural towns alike because at some point they decided this place was too white and that was some kind of crime against humanity that needed to be dealt with. People who hate the American way of life and have no intention of assimilating, just getting one government freebie after another and crying racism whenever the locals try and speak up about it- and then they wonder how racial tension comes out of it. What it really amounts to is DFL votes, though, which was obviously their angle the whole time. I've already put the wheels in motion toward moving us out of here. I don't know how long it's going to take, but I don't like what this place has become or the direction its headed and even though there are still many great things about Minnesota I've decided not to raise my family here. Especially can't imagine retiring here with all of this, plus the winters. There are so many nicer, warmer places to live and retire in the south especially. We're going to be headed back down there. No perfect place obviously, but after 3 years we've determined there's better places for us. Don't waste your time thinking about retiring here unless you happen to like all the things I've mentioned above plus high taxes and dealing with these nightmarish winters into your old age.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:01 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Oh man, I needed that!

OP, Minnesota is no longer what it was.......not even when we moved here 3 years ago. I don't know when you lived here previously, but the radical liberal politicians have destroyed this place.....and if Biden somehow gets into the White House next year it's only going to get worse. They somehow managed to turn a beautiful state with the best economy in the Midwest into a circus sideshow for all the world to gawk at in disbelief. The governor destroyed small businesses and the economy with his ridiculous virus edicts and then teamed with the "mayor" of Minneapolis to allow this rioting to happen and spread across the globe on the heels of the terrible injustice brought about by the Minneapolis Police Department, which has been a bastion of dysfunction going way further back than what most have seen only recently. They talked a big game the whole time about reforming that department but obviously did next to nothing. All grandstanding. Before all that the DFL pols started trucking in Africans and dumping them in the big cities and rural towns alike because at some point they decided this place was too white and that was some kind of crime against humanity that needed to be dealt with. People who hate the American way of life and have no intention of assimilating, just getting one government freebie after another and crying racism whenever the locals try and speak up about it- and then they wonder how racial tension comes out of it. What it really amounts to is DFL votes, though, which was obviously their angle the whole time. I've already put the wheels in motion toward moving us out of here. I don't know how long it's going to take, but I don't like what this place has become or the direction its headed and even though there are still many great things about Minnesota I've decided not to raise my family here. Especially can't imagine retiring here with all of this, plus the winters. There are so many nicer, warmer places to live and retire in the south especially. We're going to be headed back down there. No perfect place obviously, but after 3 years we've determined there's better places for us. Don't waste your time thinking about retiring here unless you happen to like all the things I've mentioned above plus high taxes and dealing with these nightmarish winters into your old age.
I've been reading plenty of your posts. Read this in the correct tone. You really need to get off forums. Stop reading and posting. You sound like you are literally a miserable human being as you are sinking further into becoming upset and bitter. This "liberal" topic has consumed you. It's made you cynical and jaded waaaaaaaay more than what is normal. It's not healthy. There is no need for a long post justifying why you are so bitter. It's time to reflect as to why you are 100x more energized than the other 5,500 people in Isanti, MN. It's really not normal or healthy. :hand:

Old 06-04-2020, 06:27 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I've been reading plenty of your posts. Read this in the correct tone. You really need to get off forums. Stop reading and posting. You sound like you are literally a miserable human being as you are sinking further into becoming upset and bitter. This "liberal" topic has consumed you. It's made you cynical and jaded waaaaaaaay more than what is normal. It's not healthy. There is no need for a long post justifying why you are so bitter. It's time to reflect as to why you are 100x more energized than the other 5,500 people in Isanti, MN. It's really not normal or healthy. :hand:
OP asked for opinions and I provided mine. Been doing so for over 12 years on CD without infractions, so not sure what makes you think you have the right to order me out while you hurl a barrage of insults rather than constructive rebuttal. Went back and checked out a handful of your posts and sure enough, more of the same.

Since you're so admittedly enamored with my work I'll accept it as flattery as give you a pass on this one. Next time you go before the mods.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:38 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
I recommend Pine Mountain/Warm Springs, GA. About 40 minutes north of Columbus (world headquarters of Aflac insurance), less than an hour south of Atlanta airport. Thirty minutes east of Auburn University. Three and a half hours north of Panama City Beach, FL Columbus has a low cost of living and great real estate prices!

www.pinemountain.org

www.visitcolumbusga.com

36 Hours: Columbus, Ga. – Find your tourist interests in Columbus, Ga.

www.nationalinfantrymuseum.org

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by columbusboy8; 06-04-2020 at 06:47 AM..

Old 06-04-2020, 12:18 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
OP asked for opinions and I provided mine. Been doing so for over 12 years on CD without infractions, so not sure what makes you think you have the right to order me out while you hurl a barrage of insults rather than constructive rebuttal. Went back and checked out a handful of your posts and sure enough, more of the same.

Since you're so admittedly enamored with my work I'll accept it as flattery as give you a pass on this one. Next time you go before the mods.
That wasn't my intent and I apologize if it came off as such. Big picture, it's easy to get consumed and become overly polarized.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:31 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
That wasn't my intent and I apologize if it came off as such. Big picture, it's easy to get consumed and become overly polarized.
FWIW, I took your post as one of concern for his well being. Plenty of people are deciding to dial back on social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota