Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 03:29 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times

Advertisements

Thank you, President Trump, for your executive order giving our counties the power to decide this for themselves. I'm sure the other counties that were altered irrevocably forever would have preferred a say in their fate before the dems decided it for them. Imagine that - power in the hands of the people. Maybe ol' Timmy can open up the governors mansion since he thinks the inn is still not full.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...resettlements/

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...c-31fb97aa68ee

Old 01-12-2020, 04:36 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
I just read an article about this in the Star Tribune:

Some residents say refugees would just make Beltrami County's struggles worse | Star Tribune

What do you mean when you say “altered irrevocably forever?” I guess my experience with refugees has been different because I’ve seen first hand how they can provide value to communities, especially the Hmong population in Saint Paul and the Somali population in Minneapolis. Most people from these groups that I have come into contact with are kind and hard working and I appreciate the diversity they added to the cities.

Here’s a Time article about some of the more notable refugees in the country’s history:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.co...es/%3famp=true

Albert Einstein was a refugee!

Old 01-12-2020, 05:51 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,705,662 times
A couple points of note:

1) Legal residents of the United States can move freely about the country. United States citizens possess this constitutional right (as repeatedly upheld by the United States Supreme Court) and under Amendment XIV all legally-residing non-citizens enjoy all constitutional rights not specifically delegated to citizens only (most rights are bestowed upon all persons, not limiting them to citizens - the Constitution takes care to specify). The current executive order allowing counties/states to 'prohibit' refugee resettlement actually is simply an order that the federal government will not undertake refugee resettlement, nor coordinate it with private or state agencies, in jurisdictions that vote to reject it). Private resettlement organizations are still free to work to resettle refugees anywhere, and legal residents of any sort are free to settle wherever they wish within the United States.

2) This is all a kabuki dance because Beltrami County hasn't seen any refugee settlement in many years. Beltrami vowing not to host refugees is roughly the equivalent of Venezuela vowing that it will refuse to host the Olympics.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
This is all a kabuki dance because Beltrami County hasn't seen any refugee settlement in many years. Beltrami vowing not to host refugees is roughly the equivalent of Venezuela vowing that it will refuse to host the Olympics.
Don't give me that. The dems have proven they'll dump east African refugees into any and all communities they can get them into. I doubt places like Willmar, Fairbault and Worthington had seen an influx of refugees in years when they suddenly became inundated - without any say on their behalf, of course. Trump is the only reason this hasn't continued en masse, and the next dem President will surely hit the restart button once Trump is gone.

To Cruz Azul: when I say altered irrevocably forever I am referring to the dems poorly veiled tactics in correlation with FORCED diversity, which is what this is REALLY all about. They couldn't care less about providing safe haven and better lives for these east Africans, they want them here because of their skin color - because Minnesota is TOO WHITE and that's SO unacceptable in a modern society. Others have been too scared to say it, but I'm not. Mark Dayton threw down the gauntlet when he made it clear his sole purpose of bringing Somalians here was to alter the racial landscape of this state and any way you slice it that is WRONG - akin to going to Nigeria and saying "you know, it's too black here, we need to import some whites for better diversity." Yeah, right....you guys wanna talk about what's going on, let's drop the BS and talk about what's really going on and knock of this drivel about these immigrants adding "value" to said communities.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 01-12-2020 at 07:54 AM..

Old 01-12-2020, 09:16 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I just read an article about this in the Star Tribune:

Some residents say refugees would just make Beltrami County's struggles worse | Star Tribune

What do you mean when you say “altered irrevocably forever?” I guess my experience with refugees has been different because I’ve seen first hand how they can provide value to communities, especially the Hmong population in Saint Paul and the Somali population in Minneapolis. Most people from these groups that I have come into contact with are kind and hard working and I appreciate the diversity they added to the cities.

Here’s a Time article about some of the more notable refugees in the country’s history:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.co...es/%3famp=true

Albert Einstein was a refugee!
My experiences have been to the contrary.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
My experiences have been to the contrary.
Please tell me about it.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:00 PM

One thing I didn't cover was the totally obvious - that the dems want to truck these refugees in so they can reproduce en masse and eventually bring the rest of their families here, which translates into guess what? VOTES! Nothing more attractive than a guaranteed vote every time around. I think it's pretty safe to say NO east African refugee is EVER gonna vote GOP after the DFL and liberals in Washington basically won the lottery for them and their families by bringing them here and subsidizing their lives. That sort of generosity gets paid back at the ballot box.....pretty convenient don't ya think?

Old 01-12-2020, 03:06 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,562 times
I have a relative that’s a cop in that area. Refugees are lucky.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:18 PM

202 posts, read 429,269 times
Thanks God. St cloud has turned into mogadishu and it isnt right. Its NOT right going into peoples pockets stealing their tax money and spending it on resettling muslims who we were at war with a short time ago. Go to somalia and u will get ur head cut off. I actually am cool with somali people as i judge people individually but knowing that a refugee is given 1200 a month for rent, free healthcare free social services food stamps etc. ITS NOT RIGHT i dont care if they were white polish or scottish people, its not about the color of the skin but its about the culture and legalitysnof it. Come over fine, in a son of immigrants who came the right way and werent given a single DIME. Americans have the right to vote where their money that they pay in taxes goes and if you disagree with that you are a clown.

This isnt a rally against the somali people, its againt our GOVERNMENT who is screwing Anericans over financially. Do u think the somali population in somalia would pay in to house Americans?? LOL

Old 01-12-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
One thing I didn't cover was the totally obvious - that the dems want to truck these refugees in so they can reproduce en masse and eventually bring the rest of their families here, which translates into guess what? VOTES! Nothing more attractive than a guaranteed vote every time around. I think it's pretty safe to say NO east African refugee is EVER gonna vote GOP after the DFL and liberals in Washington basically won the lottery for them and their families by bringing them here and subsidizing their lives. That sort of generosity gets paid back at the ballot box.....pretty convenient don't ya think?
Are you referring to the federal refugee program as a whole or Minnesota’s state refugee resettlement program? Can you provide any evidence to support this assertion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
Thanks God. St cloud has turned into mogadishu and it isnt right. Its NOT right going into peoples pockets stealing their tax money and spending it on resettling muslims who we were at war with a short time ago. Go to somalia and u will get ur head cut off. I actually am cool with somali people as i judge people individually but knowing that a refugee is given 1200 a month for rent, free healthcare free social services food stamps etc. ITS NOT RIGHT
Mogadishu you say? Seems a bit of a stretch to me since there are over 68,000 people in St. Cloud and only 1,596 Somalis have been settled in all of Stearns County from 2005-2018. Also, how certain are you that refugee resettlement is causing a huge drain on tax dollars? From reports I’ve read most of the costs are federally funded, including the cash assistance and medical assistance programs which are both 100% federally funded for up to 8 months after arriving in the U.S. Meanwhile if they work they are paying income taxes, their rent or mortgage pays property taxes and all their purchases pay sales taxes, so even though they may get some help initially they are also paying into state and federal tax coffers.

Sources:
https://www.leg.state.mn.us/docs/2018/other/180282.pdf
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sct...amp/1899798001
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota