Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you like LEAST about Winter in MN?
Snow 4 11.43%
Cold 16 45.71%
Dark (earlier sunsets) 9 25.71%
Other 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 06:11 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times

Advertisements

I learned way more about soil in this thread than I ever thought possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 07:04 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Went along with a couple of those that voted for otters as their scratching leaves marks on the doors as they try to gain entrance into homes.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:25 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,530,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Went along with a couple of those that voted for otters as their scratching leaves marks on the doors as they try to gain entrance into homes.
Solved that problem with random bear traps. Haven't had one of those critters scratch at my door in years. Considered a flaming moat but that seemed extreme.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:44 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
Que up Irving Berlin.

"I'm dreaming, of a BROWN Christmas".

(Tells you what part of winter I hate the worst)

Old 11-13-2019, 09:45 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Can you explain to me how tropical fruits are more "useful" than the world's most important staple foods like potatoes, corn, wheat, beans, soy, etc., all of which are grown in the "barren wasteland" of the Midwest?
It's all about variety. You see, all those crops you listed can be grown in warmer climates. But the Midwest can't grow the unique crops that need warmer climates to survive.

Quote:
So you're saying that biodiversity in one part of the world is less important than biodiversity in another? Let's just pave over the Arctic, where there's relatively little biodiversity (we'll pretend it's not mostly ocean/ice cap). No unique species there that face imminent extinction. No siree.
I judge the importance of an area's biodiversity based on the level of uniqueness.

The North Pole is an interesting case in that it has few species that live there, but they are all unique to the region. Wiping that area out will certainly cause extinctions. But with Minnesota, pretty much all the flora and fauna can still be found elsewhere in the Eastern US, so getting rid of the habitat there wouldn't be of much detriment.

In all fairness, though, most of the US in general is quite boring in terms of biodiversity. The only cool-looking areas are the coastal Southwest, the desert Southwest, as well as the coastal Gulf/Atlantic South.

Quote:
Because they didn't have the resources, the knowledge, or technology needed to colonize. There's a reason why most of the world's tropical regions are still profoundly impoverished.
The reason is because many there are in full realization of the Edens that they inhabit, and therefore consciously choose to enjoy life and live free. Which may be great for personal enjoyment, but quite detrimental in terms of what makes the economy tick.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:48 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
It's all about variety. You see, all those crops you listed can be grown in warmer climates. But the Midwest can't grow the unique crops that need warmer climates to survive.

I judge the importance of an area's biodiversity based on the level of uniqueness.

The North Pole is an interesting case in that it has few species that live there, but they are all unique to the region. Wiping that area out will certainly cause extinctions. But with Minnesota, pretty much all the flora and fauna can still be found elsewhere in the Eastern US, so getting rid of the habitat there wouldn't be of much detriment.

In all fairness, though, most of the US in general is quite boring in terms of biodiversity. The only cool-looking areas are the coastal Southwest, the desert Southwest, as well as the coastal Gulf/Atlantic South.

The reason is because many there are in full realization of the Edens that they inhabit, and therefore consciously choose to enjoy life and live free. Which may be great for personal enjoyment, but quite detrimental in terms of what makes the economy tick.
None of this is actually true. It’s either incorrect or an opinion.

Last edited by Glenfield; 11-13-2019 at 09:57 AM..

Old 11-13-2019, 08:43 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,912 times
The cranky people! Seriously everyone needs to start taking their vitamin D, and get their happy light out! You see people out and about just glaring at the world. Seriously, vitamin D helps so much!

Old 11-13-2019, 09:02 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
The cranky people! Seriously everyone needs to start taking their vitamin D, and get their happy light out! You see people out and about just glaring at the world. Seriously, vitamin D helps so much!
I was just going to say...the overcast days (there was like 3 weeks straight last Winter) really seems to bring me down. Today was the first day that reminded me of it.

I started taking vit D last Winter and I swear it made a big difference in bringing my mood up.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:21 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
cold

Old 11-14-2019, 09:14 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
No votes for snow (yet). I would think some people hate shoveling. Lots of heart attacks related to shoveling.
It's not that strenuous of a task. People must not be very active if that's the thing that pushes them over the edge...
Quote:
It's not totally true, but crime does drop significantly during Winter in MN I believe.
It keeps the homeless people away too, which is a very nice benefit. MSP is so clean, it's a nice refreshment from some of the western cities.
Quote:
I was just going to say...the overcast days (there was like 3 weeks straight last Winter) really seems to bring me down. Today was the first day that reminded me of it.
MN isn't that cloudy, except for the Nov-Dec it seems. MSP gets 2700 hrs annually while Denver gets 3100. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...entral_America

We would visit family in MN over Christmas every year growing up. The snow was awesome, it allowed for fun activities, but the -20F stuff was terrible. It just hurts! It sounds like global warming is really going to give the state a boost though, as record lows are vanishing much faster than record highs are being broken. So that awesome soil will be able to grow some bad*** crops here in the near future!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: