Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:28 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Drinking beer.
Only one beer for me because my drinking tolerance hardly goes beyond that, unless I'm stuffed full of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 04:36 PM

55 posts, read 305,381 times
Default You said beer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Drinking beer.
Honestly, I wonder what's the pleasure of drinking beer in the middle of a frozen lake... On a freezing day, nothing hits the spot better than a hot cup of coffee.
Save the beer for the Summer!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 PM

98 posts, read 334,541 times
Noboby eats Lutefisk anymore, people here are friendly, wave at your neighbor type but people are a bit stand offish. I am swede/norwegion been here forever and the stereotypes get a bit old. Minnesota is nice, its just freeeezing in the winter.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:34 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lereca View Post
Noboby eats Lutefisk anymore, people here are friendly, wave at your neighbor type but people are a bit stand offish. I am swede/norwegion been here forever and the stereotypes get a bit old. Minnesota is nice, its just freeeezing in the winter.
Freezing weather? Fine by me. As long as it snows and I get to build a sauna(pronounced sow-nah) in the backyard, that is very good. I can be a bit standoffish as well. As for lutfisk, I am open-minded about it and would like to give it a try.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:32 AM

48 posts, read 162,094 times
Well it looks like today (April 25!) will be another good day to to enjoy the snow.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:38 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lereca View Post
Noboby eats Lutefisk anymore
Tell that to my extended family next Christmas.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:18 PM

98 posts, read 334,541 times
[quote=pirate_lafitte;3571011]Freezing weather? Fine by me. As long as it snows and I get to build a sauna(pronounced sow-nah) in the backyard, that is very good. I can be a bit standoffish as well. As for lutfisk, I am open-minded about it and would like to give it a try.[/quote
Lutefisk is like hot snot that tastes terrible. Who knows, you might love it. My grandpa did. Every real Minnesotan knows how to pronounce sauna, my grandparents built one out of a shed in the backyard of their cabin up on Lake Miltona. I miss those summers baking my brains in the sauna then jumping the lake. Ahh! the good ol' days.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,933 times
Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
George Washington

Good advise no matter what state you're moving to.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:08 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
sauna(pronounced sow-nah)
thank you. It drives me nuts when people say saw-naw

Old 04-27-2008, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,910 times
Default Reply to Minnesota NIce...

Interesting what you say... you would think that being a transplant then they would get together. I as a single girl did move to many large cities of the country mostly for school or work. Denver, Atlanta, Chicago and I did come from the Midwest near Chicago. I was shocked to find how superficial and non interested most people were to even try to connect. I was never sure really why and wondered if most people were too needy and depressed to just make any effort. After Denver I moved to Atlanta and my whole world changed. Within three months I had an entire network of friends and felt the depression of living in Denver under such un social conditions to just lift. Atlanta opened up to be a very supportive, open and more than willing to network city. Everyone always said.... call this person or contact this person and contacts were shared proudly and freely. I always think this is one of the reasons why Atlanta has such a high small business/ enterpreuneur success rate, people network freely and are not threatened to do so. I now live in Minnesota for almost four years now and found it to be bitterly unfriendly. I live in a very good neighborhood and was never welcomed or included to feel ANYTHING, although I have offered much to my neighbors it has never been recipricated or any experience to make me feel anything. It's quite odd and often i can walk down my neighborhood streets and say HI with no response in passing. It all seems so odd to me and very odd that they call themselves Minnesota NIce. Yes, technically they are polite but it is superficial to passive aggressive and i have many times heard them say negative things about the outsiders that come here.... right to my face. It is rude, insensitive and not understandable. Whenever I hear Minnesota NIce, for me, it's a reminder of unpleasant experiences. NOw Southern Hospitality.... that is real to me and brings a warm smile. Sorry Minnesota but it is my experience and it seems like people here have no idea how to put themselves in anothers postion since they have never been or moved anywhere else. They don't need anyone else nor are they interested. It is a shame. I am a great neighbor but have no one to appreciate or want it! For me it is a disappointingly unfriendly place and I have lived in eight states. I still work very hard and keep hopeful that I will find nice people. We call it Minnesota ICE not NICE... it is what we have experienced. It feels not normal to me... I have had wonderful neighbors in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota