Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 42,484 times

Advertisements

Good luck with your job interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 PM

74 posts, read 289,213 times
My husband was born and raised in MN, and is a true Scandinavian, but cannot stand the sight of lutefisk. I personally have never seen it or tried it. I wonder how it compares to gefilta fish served at Jewish Passover?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,604 times
A a teenager, I worked in a nursing home. I wasn't raised in a Scandinavian family (we are Irish); but at Christmas you could smell that Norwegian-prepared lutefisk for 3-4 blocks away! I dreaded going to work because the smell was so strong in the nursing home!

My hubby is Scandinavian heritage, and he likes the Swedish-style lutefisk, but we've never had it in our house. His remaining family doesn't care for lutefisk, and our kids have never had it.

The Norwegians have the slimey fish covered in butter and the Swedes liked it smothered in a cream sauce (or so my hubby says).

Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,291 times
I've lived in this state on and off since '94 and this is the first time I've heard of anything called lutefisk. Or maybe I just never bothered to look into it and it left my memory as quickly as it came in.

Anyway, making adult friends in Minneapolis should be a breeze. It is the suburbs I think you should worry about. Most people in the suburbs or small towns in MN are very dull, just like the rest of America. So you won't find interesting conversation. Go to Minneapolis and steer clear of the boring suburbs.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,740 times
Default yes....

I think it is really hard to make friends in Minnesota, not being from here. I say this from experience. I moved to MN with my now husband about 2-3 years ago for work, and while we have some couples as friends, I still don't have a group of friends that I could call up to hang out with when my husband is out of town. My co-workers are all at least 10 years older than me and at a different stage in their lives to want to hang out with me. Everyone I have met seems "nice" but already has their group of friends established and they don't really make room for anyone else to join in unless it is just every once in a while. I don't think I am that hard to get along with, and I have never really spoken poorly of Minnesota. Maybe it is because I live in the burbs.

I have heard the joke that it is "Minnesota Ice" and not "Minnesota Nice" --- ironically I do sometimes find it true.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
I don't think it's more difficult to make friends here than other places, but I do think in some ways it's more difficult to meet new people, and obviously you have to meet people in order to befriend them. Reasons for this are:

-cold climate. People tend to stay in alot more in winter and it results in less human interaction.
-people here tend to be more reserved and hesitant to meet new people than in other places (not in all cases but generally speaking)
-my experiences in living in the suburbs is nobody really wants to get to know their neighbors. People don't tend to hang out outside that much and everything is so spread apart because of larger lot sizes. My parents have been living in their home in Ramsey since 1997 and they may know a third of the neighbors on their block. Suburb neighborhoods lack neighborhood organizations, block parties and general involvement that would result in alot more people knowing each other.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:37 PM

45 posts, read 342,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I'd say it took me about 5-6 years before I had a good group of friends that I regularly hung out with and could call on. Then, after 10 years, I relocated to Colorado () and am now faced with the same problem of making new friends. Been here nearly 3 years and I probably have 3 close friends and all of them live at least 20 miles away.
Hi Chilaili,

I know what you mean. I have lived in Colorado for 9 years and some of the friends I made here have already moved (to another state) I do have a couple of friends here though but they live in Denver, not in the Springs. I think Colorado is a nice state, but the population can be transient.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 PM

45 posts, read 342,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucie1970 View Post
Good luck with your job interview.
Thank you!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,707 times
It is tought to make friends in MN, compared to other parts of the country. In Arizona anyone can be your friend instantly. Not so in Minnesota. But, once someone in MN decides to be your friend, they will take a bullet for you till death do you part.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,536 times
I used to work with guy in California who was originally from Minnesota. He was saying the same thing, hard to make friends there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota