Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,622,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
We probably need to address this in a regional manner. . . But it's mostly flatlands down here. It's a pretty good-sized state.

Yes, that's what I'm always saying in the MN forum! It's a very diverse state, and "Minneapolis" isn't synonymous with "Minnesota".

The Amish are such a presence in the SE corner of the state, and I identify noodle dishes with them. And pie. Is there a food that is specifically identified with Rochester? I can't think of one, but there probably is.

A pastie makes a fine miner's lunch. Everything is self-contained - meat, potatoes and seasoning all enveloped in pastry. I was first introduced to them in Lead, South Dakota where they used to mine gold. My favorites are sauerkraut and sausage.
Sounds like some Germans had an influence in Lead. Minnesota's Iron Range pasties must contain rutabagas and other root vegetables from the gardens of people who must grow what they can in a very cold climate. I used to get the church ladies to make me meatless pasties, which were still pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 05:47 PM

2,610 posts, read 2,198,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Sounds like some Germans had an influence in Lead. Minnesota's Iron Range pasties must contain rutabagas and other root vegetables from the gardens of people who must grow what they can in a very cold climate. I used to get the church ladies to make me meatless pasties, which were still pretty good.
That's what is was, rutabaga in the pasties!!!!! Love rutabaga! But hate skinning those things.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:17 PM

12,056 posts, read 8,458,700 times
Rochester, MN is swamped with sports bars and has a fairly wide variety of ethnic restaurants, none of which are exactly historical.

Next door Mantorville has the Hubbell House established in 1854 and a lonely outpost stagecoach stop. The fare is $$$$ traditional steakhouse but the surroundings are historical. It's a treat to eat there and page through the guest book which includes many famous names found in our history books. http://www.hubbellhouserestaurant.com/

I'd say the area is known for apples, honey and dairy products.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:06 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,935,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Hotdish is not a legend at all. Plenty of us make different hot dishes regularly during the winter. We have it a couple times of month (rotating three favorites, tuna-noodle, beef and macaroni, and chicken-stuffing.) A number of our friends and family also make hotdishes, but only those that cook regularly.

I’ve also heard that casserole vs hotdish argument but don’t buy it. They are all hotdishes here, whereas in Michigan, where I grew up, they’re all casseroles. And lasagna is neither, it’s just lasagna just like enchiladas are just enchiladas.
Agree with all of that, Glenfield. I grew up outside of Chicago and we called them casseroles. I've been in Minnesota 30 years or so and still use the word casserole, although my born and bred Minnesota family and friends will jokingly correct me.

I personally think the two words, casserole and hotdish, are interchangeable. They are the same thing. But hey, call it what you want, it's still dinner.

Oh, as a side note, my Corningware dish has 'Casserole' printed on the bottom.

https://www.corningware.com/casserole-dishes/

Old 02-04-2018, 12:17 PM

I will add to the list a sweet treat: Snickerdoodles!

I realize that these are also popular in other states, but I will always associate them with Minnesota since they seem to be everywhere here and it is the first place I had them. I was in my early 30s and my husband just couldn't believe that I had never had a snickerdoodle. Haha! (He was raised in Minnesota.)

A few years ago we altered the recipe by adding chocolate chips. Quite delicious!

Old 02-04-2018, 01:32 PM

2,610 posts, read 2,198,751 times
Snickerdoodles, haven't made in ages. It the only recipe that I have ever had that calls for cream of tarter (I have know idea what cream of tartar is made from) maybe that's what makes them so good.
Cream of Tartar: What It Is and How to Use It | Allrecipes

Old 02-04-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Snickerdoodles, haven't made in ages. It the only recipe that I have ever had that calls for cream of tarter (I have know idea what cream of tartar is made from) maybe that's what makes them so good.
Cream of Tartar: What It Is and How to Use It | Allrecipes
Haha! I know what you mean about the cream-of-tartar, but it was always available in the kitchen growing up. Hmm... now I have to wonder what my mother used it for since I was deprived of Snickerdoodles as a child. Maybe for meringue, like in the article.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,904,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
This is soooooo true! When I moved here, my friends would dip their fries in it. It's actually considered more of a dipping sauce here vs. a dressing. In fact, 50% of the Mexican restaurants here actually serve a ranch style dip with the chips and salsa! Seems to also go hand in hand with "seasoned sour cream", which was a new thing to me.

What about Booya? I never heard of it until I came here. Still have never tried it.....

Also, to me there is MN style Pizza (Carbones, Red's Savoy, etc.). Thin crust, deep-dark red sauce, tons of cheese (no gaps in the cheese), cut into squares (potentially with pineapple on it?!?!). It's not a culinary masterpiece, but something one might crave with drinking with friends.
Yeah what is up with ranch dressing at Mexican places? I nearly spit out my bite when I ate a nacho and what I thought was sour cream was sour cream mixed with a packet of ranch dressing power (I am 95% sure that's what it is...they call it cowboy sauce?). Minnesota, repeat after me...ranch dressing does not go with Mexican food. But really, this state isn't super comfortable with ethnic food and tends to fatten or sweeten watered down versions. I am sure there are worse states for that...but its kind of a bummer for people like me who really does love authentic foods.

And the pizza. Bleh. Bland with more cheese then you could ever imagine.

Minnesota is just missing the mark on a few things.

I wont lie...I love a good hot dish in the winter (I don't agree it counts as lasagna...to me its anything with frozen potato product and condensed soup, baked well). It can be so warm and comforting. Cheese curds can be pretty awesome.

I don't know...Minnesota has a ways to go before really kicking up their food game.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
It's a very popular dip with my kids, and just kids in general today. I don't think it's limited to Minnesotans.
.)
You would have to see what I mean. They serve it at Mexican restaurants, with fries, I see people dipping pizza in it. Some people put it on everything, and its not thought of as unusual. Its always been a kid geared condiment, I loved it as a kid. Nothing to do with "kids today". Its a Minnesota thing the length to which they use it

Old 02-04-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Rochester, MN is swamped with sports bars and has a fairly wide variety of ethnic restaurants, none of which are exactly historical.

Next door Mantorville has the Hubbell House established in 1854 and a lonely outpost stagecoach stop. The fare is $$$$ traditional steakhouse but the surroundings are historical. It's a treat to eat there and page through the guest book which includes many famous names found in our history books. http://www.hubbellhouserestaurant.com/

I'd say the area is known for apples, honey and dairy products.
I would say Rochester is becoming known for better restaurants then even the Twin Cities

The restaurants are part of how Mayo attracts more metropolitan employees and part of the DMC. Even in the past 3 years, Rochester has really stepped up their food game and are more on trend with foodie cities (but not quite there)

This might sound crazy, but Rochester (and maybe other part of MN) is the only place that I have been to where people stop by and go into convenience stores for food, snacks, cheep milk, something easy to make for dinner. Kwik Trip is like...popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota