Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 01:04 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,714,751 times

Advertisements

+ Juicy Lucy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 02:33 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,157,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
+ Juicy Lucy
it's jucy lucy, FYI

Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 PM

12,056 posts, read 8,455,279 times
Lasagne is never called hotdish in Minnesota. It is called "exotic" or "foreigner food." So is canned Chef Boy-ar-dee spaghetti. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Here are a few more -

Turkey, depending on whether you're talking to a Minnesotan or a Texan.

Morel mushrooms.

Blueberries.

We've even got our own Minnesota-shaped pasta. When Dh's cousins visited from the Netherlands I did a silly "Better off Dead" sort of thing - a themed meal. Only my theme wasn't "Frahnce" but rather Minnesota.

And don't forget the Hamm's and Grain Belt (which the relatives thought were a bit on the weak side.)

Old 01-17-2018, 07:46 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,039,141 times
The first food that pops in my mind when someone says "Minnesota" is Lutefisk, which is technically Norwegian, but no state champions the food as much as Minnesota. The fact that it wasn't the first answer on this thread boggles my mind. Hot dish comes in second.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:06 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,902,527 times
People eat an extremely large amount of ranch dressing here, I have noticed

Old 01-17-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
This is soooooo true! When I moved here, my friends would dip their fries in it. It's actually considered more of a dipping sauce here vs. a dressing. In fact, 50% of the Mexican restaurants here actually serve a ranch style dip with the chips and salsa! Seems to also go hand in hand with "seasoned sour cream", which was a new thing to me.

What about Booya? I never heard of it until I came here. Still have never tried it.....

Also, to me there is MN style Pizza (Carbones, Red's Savoy, etc.). Thin crust, deep-dark red sauce, tons of cheese (no gaps in the cheese), cut into squares (potentially with pineapple on it?!?!). It's not a culinary masterpiece, but something one might crave with drinking with friends.

Last edited by Citykid3785; 01-17-2018 at 03:01 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 03:55 AM

274 posts, read 295,327 times
Plan to check out Minnesota in the near future, and my family loves to find new, interesting foods. Going to have to look up what some of these are since of course I'm unfamiliar.

I think the ones I've mostly seen on online articles are Juicy Lucy/Jucy Lucy - seeing the picture makes me drool...looks so good (seen it spelled both ways, not sure which is right...) and "Hotdish" :P but it's nice to have a different list!

The ranch and french fries comment makes me hungry (it feels like one of the most addictive things on the planet)...I used to love ranch and then a sensitivity to eggs - stinks so much. After all, it was a middle school cafeteria favorite of mine and a few others.

Question, is it common to mix ketchup with mayo as a dipping sauce? I remember having some friends that moved from up north and can't remember what states they were from...but they loved that combination with their fries.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viridianforest View Post
Plan to check out Minnesota in the near future, and my family loves to find new, interesting foods. Going to have to look up what some of these are since of course I'm unfamiliar.

I think the ones I've mostly seen on online articles are Juicy Lucy/Jucy Lucy - seeing the picture makes me drool...looks so good (seen it spelled both ways, not sure which is right...) and "Hotdish" :P but it's nice to have a different list!

The ranch and french fries comment makes me hungry (it feels like one of the most addictive things on the planet)...I used to love ranch and then a sensitivity to eggs - stinks so much. After all, it was a middle school cafeteria favorite of mine and a few others.

Question, is it common to mix ketchup with mayo as a dipping sauce? I remember having some friends that moved from up north and can't remember what states they were from...but they loved that combination with their fries.

I've only seen this mixture of ketchup and mayo from my black friends, they seemed to mix mayo with everything. Maybe a cultural thing?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:20 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,362,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I'm often asked what foods an outsider needs to try that define MN? Maybe they weren't invented here, but in some respect, when you're in MN, you need to eat "blank" when you're here to feel Minnesotan. What foods make that list?
Wild rice soup
Walleye
Lefse
Cheese curds
Porchetta
Tater tot hotdish

Good list. Except I associate cheese curds with Wisconsin more, and have never heard of porchetta. Hot dish in multiple forms, yes.

For "cold dish" : Ham Salad, 7 Layer Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
spam
Sliced and fried in its own fat until crisp. Eaten with plain steam white rice, with fried eggs, between two slices of soft Wonderbread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
For me it's Sunnies (bluegill, sunfish) ~ but that's because MN was always visiting grandparents and they liked to fish.

But LOL at "hotdish"... haven't heard that in forever.
Those are all I ever seem to catch - bluegills and sunfish. Never a fat walleye! Sunnies are tasty fried up, but quite bony to eat for most impatient folks.

Judy Lucy must be fairly recent invention. Never heard of it or ate any growing up.

And although I've eaten and made lefse growing up, I've never seen lutefisk actually served or eaten by anyone I've known. Seems to be more of a mythic-lore food.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:27 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,362,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It's a very popular dip with my kids, and just kids in general today. I don't think it's limited to Minnesotans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viridianforest View Post

That's how I ate it growing up. Just seems like a natural marriage of deliciousness in condiments to me.
May be it's a spill-over practice from the mixture of the two in burgers?

(The Belgians eat their fries, which are similar to McD's, with mayo - not ketchup. How are they all not on anti-cholesterol medication? Must be the beer.)

Last edited by mingna; 01-18-2018 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Belgians, not Dutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota