Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 01:08 AM

638 posts, read 3,125,821 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit disappointed tonight. I was hoping to get snowed in somewhere (either at home or at work) and I actually made it home from work (a 23 mile trip one way) in about 40 minutes. The going wasn't bad as long as one followed the usual winter driving rules of the MN road. I saw a couple of spectacular spin outs of course; but it was glare ice under some of the packed snow and if you are going to drive like an idiot than you will get in trouble!

I couldn't make it up our short (but steep) driveway, however; even after 3 tries; so rather than annoying my neighbors by spinning my tires and grinding gears after midnight I just parked the car at the bottom of the hill. But the car is off the street so I don't have to worry about being towed or the snow emergency routes either.

I hope everyone else got to enjoy the snow too and aren't stuck in a ditch or snowbank along side the road!

ETA: I forgot to mention that we got about 4 inches of snow at our house (near-north St. Paul suburb)

Old 12-02-2007, 11:51 AM

865 posts, read 2,503,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Me and the boy went for a little ramble around the 'hood. This is why I'll never leave Minnesota.

And this is exactly why I wish my wife (a life long Portlander) were more open to a move to Duluth!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:56 PM

41 posts, read 129,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
And this is exactly why I wish my wife (a life long Portlander) were more open to a move to Duluth!
I know. I am so jealous. It was just spitting all day today. I wish it would just go ahead and rain already. This "heavy mist" is ticking me off.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,141,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chani29f View Post
I know. I am so jealous. It was just spitting all day today. I wish it would just go ahead and rain already. This "heavy mist" is ticking me off.
Be careful what you wish for. Trying to get un-stuck in my driveway last night, I managed to hit a pole in our yard (I live in a rural area) and incur some damage to my car (thank God my brother knows how to do body work). This morning, I couldn't get to class because the thing wouldn't make it past the end of the driveway. And it's like 5 F out.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 AM

41 posts, read 129,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Trying to get un-stuck in my driveway last night, I managed to hit a pole in our yard (I live in a rural area) and incur some damage to my car (thank God my brother knows how to do body work). This morning, I couldn't get to class because the thing wouldn't make it past the end of the driveway. And it's like 5 F out.
I'm in Northern California & we REALLY need rain. In fact, it could rain heavy here for 24 hours a day for two weeks straight and it would not make a dent in our water issue right now.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,988,658 times
And this is exactly why I wish my wife (a life long Portlander) were more open to a move to Duluth

Duluth is a bit of an extreme. I would think that would be a complete turnoff for her. Wouldn't you like to try, say, a midwestern state with snow but not as much. It's more about the brutal cold here in MN and in WI, South Dakota and North Dakota. If you can get of this four-state region, she might adapt better.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:31 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,988,658 times
Love the picture Kuan

Old 12-03-2007, 10:57 AM

865 posts, read 2,503,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
And this is exactly why I wish my wife (a life long Portlander) were more open to a move to Duluth

Duluth is a bit of an extreme. I would think that would be a complete turnoff for her. Wouldn't you like to try, say, a midwestern state with snow but not as much. It's more about the brutal cold here in MN and in WI, South Dakota and North Dakota. If you can get of this four-state region, she might adapt better.
But Duluth has the outdoor recreation opportunities that we love
(hiking, biking, skiing, rock climbing); more so than anyplace else in the midwest. Besides, Duluth is a beautiful town!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 PM

987 posts, read 3,821,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
But Duluth has the outdoor recreation opportunities that we love
(hiking, biking, skiing, rock climbing); more so than anyplace else in the midwest. Besides, Duluth is a beautiful town!
Not to mention the Superior water trail.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM

987 posts, read 3,821,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
Love the picture Kuan
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota