Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,922 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are a family of parents and son with his wife, and we are looking for 2 bed in the new building which will open soon as I believe. Also, we are coming for the treatment of my father at Mayo Clinic, and we are looking for lease between six months to one year.
Please note that we are not American citizens, so we do not have a Social Security number
We are a family of two parents and a son and his wife from the Middle East. We are coming to Rochester for treatment of my father at the date of May 18th. We favor short-term contracts, but no problem in signing a long-term, and we will buy used furniture to save money as we can. Please help me find cheap accommodation close to Mayo Clinic of 2 or 3 bed. Also, we are looking for stores that sell used furniture in the city. Since along time ago I'm searching for an apartment or house close to the Mayo Clinic but I could not find something good around 1000$.

We appreciate your time and your cooperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:35 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Have you contacted the Mayo Clinic about this yet? I am fairly certain they have a listing of places for families like you.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,354,737 times
I also recommend contacting Mayo about what apartment connections they may have. I would assume they have agreements with places for situations such as yours. You could also contact Jon Espy (Infinity Real Estate & Management Group) to see if he has anyone willing to do a short-term rental. He would be a helpful source too for rental information.

For used furniture, you could look at the thrift shops in town. There is the Salvation Army Thrift Shop who usually has sofas, mattresses (new or refurbished), tables, some chairs, etc. There is furniture at Savers as well, but not as much as the Salvation Army has. You could check both of them for any dishes or small appliances you may need as well. Goodwill is another thrift shop; however, they rarely have furniture but they do have a lot of other kitchenware and other potential items you may need.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,354,737 times
I found this website too that you may want to look at. Short term Housing Rochester MN, Furnished Apartments, Suites | Rochester Visitor Housing Association They offer short-term housing and have furnished places. I don't see the monthly rent amount listed on their "our members" link that shows the complexes, but there is contact information listed.

Here's another place not too far from Mayo. http://www.civicsquareapts.com/index.php It might be a little bit farther than you are looking for - maybe 5 or 6 blocks or so to the Clinic. I'm not sure if they do 6-month leases, though.

Last edited by fromupthere; 04-18-2012 at 07:39 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,752,998 times
I'll echo the suggestion to contact the Mayo directly (and/or check out the links above) as they presumably deal with this issue all the time -- odds are, I would think, decent that you can find a furnished place.

If you do end up needing furniture also be aware that you will be arriving during the start of garage sale season in Minnesota. You can find sale listings on websites like craigslist, or just drive around and look for signs. You'll find them all over, mostly on Saturdays but sometimes also on Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays, and people sell all sorts of household goods, including furniture and household goods (dishes, microwaves, etc.). You could probably furnish a place fairly quickly and cheaply that way. It's not as convenient as having everything in one location, but a morning spent driving around could still be worth the time.

Stores like Target also sell basic furniture, or you could drive to the IKEA in the Twin Cities (not as cheap as used, but about as cheap as it gets new.)

Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
A lot of the signs we've seen around Rochester for short term leases for houses/apartments are for furnished places so it's likely you would be able to find something that has furniture already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota