Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:03 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times

Advertisements

Biggest thing about having the Wolves is that good teams come to town to beat the Wolves (more often than not). So Twin Citians without any civic pride AND enthusiasm for the sport of basketball do get some value for their ticket money. Cheering a winner? Forget that. In fact, all our teams have high draft picks that get championship rings when traded to another team. Always been that way. Well, after the Lakers left town. The game was different back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Yes, I love the Timberwolves and would deeply miss them if they ever left. I watch them on TV all the time along with the Wild, Twins, Vikings, and Lynx. I love all our teams, including the Lynx.
It has nothing to do with bragging rights, or making the Twin Cities more desirable because we have a team from each of the big 4 NFL NBA MLB and NHL.

I don't think teams should relocate just because they haven't been very good in a while. The Timberwolves were an expansion team from the late 80s along with the Heat, Magic, and Hornets, but yet no one ever suggests the Heat should relocate, even though Miami is a smaller market than MSP is.
Heat owner says team losing money:
If the Timberwolves were relevant like the Heat have been and won a few championships, no one would be bringing up relocation.

Yes the team isn't very good and hasn't been relevant in a long time. But I stay hopefuly and sHypothetically speaking, if we were in Seattle's position where the Thunder are now a championship contender just a few years after leaving Seattle, people will indeed miss the team.
And markets like Kansas City or Louisville or St. Louis aren't really any better. Sure if they were to get a team it would draw well for a while because it's new and shiny, but once the novelty wears off and if the team isn't very good, it will struggle just as bad in those markets as it does in MSP.

On a side note, Michael Heisley was/is someone who has been rumored in having interest in buying the Timberwolves from Glen Taylor, and he just had a stroke a few days ago. He used to own the Grizzlies and relocated them to Memphis from Vancouver. No offense to him, but if the rumors were true about him having interest in buying the Wolves, hopefully this throws a wrench in that plan, I don't want an owner who has a history of lying and saying hes committed to the market than ends up relocating the team shortly after.

Michael Heisley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He orchestrated the move of the team from Vancouver in 2001, after promising to keep the franchise in Vancouver when he purchased it in 2000.

No offense, but I really don't want him buying our Wolves.

That said, the Target Center is being renovated and I believe the Wolves lease is until 2025. So (hopefully) I'm just being overly paranoid for nothing. David Stern was at a Wolves game not too long ago at Target Center talking about the ongoing renovation, and was talking about how Glen Taylor is going to be selling the team and is going to make sure they stay in Minny. Hopefully...

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articl...rades/12856180
Stern, who's been involved in the early discussions of the sale, said that he's urged Taylor to plan "the orderly succession of the team," but he knows Taylor, 71, doesn't want to sell it tomorrow. "Eventually it will happen," Stern said. "Glen is not what you would call an anxious seller. Sometimes I think he may have seller's remorse even though he hasn't sold it, because he loves the team." "He wants it to stay here, and all discussions about sale revolve around finding the person or persons who will commit to keeping it a first-class franchise in the Twin Cities."

Lets hope all this dramatic stuff about seller's remorse and wanting the team to stay here is true, because I have seen way too many markets get screwed out of their teams.

Yeah, I'm a huge TWolves fan if you can't tell...

Old 03-03-2013, 02:07 PM

127 posts, read 192,459 times
The upside to another losing season? You can currently purchase lower level seats to Wednesday's Wizards game for the kingly sum of $1.40. Center court for $19.

I don't care how bad this team is. If you can take your kid to watch the highest level of professional basketball for less than a movie ticket, that's worth something.

If only stub hub charged a percentage instead of the $10 flat fee.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Ex-Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders representing group to buy team, report says - TwinCities.com

Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
This would be the best thing to happen to the franchise. A REAL basketball mind in charge who's connected to the region.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherespankakehouse? View Post
I don't care how bad this team is. If you can take your kid to watch the highest level of professional basketball for less than a movie ticket, that's worth something.
Do the Timberwolves qualify as the "highest level of professional basketball?"

Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Do the Timberwolves qualify as the "highest level of professional basketball?"
Yes they do!!

This always frustrates me. Just like people who dogg the Twins. Ya, not every team can win every game, but you need to realize that it's the best of the best. There are 15 players on each NBA roster and 30 teams.. thats 450 top-end professional basketball players in the NBA. The best of best. Like last night - the Wolves drew a great crowd and it was fun to go watch LeBron James and Dwayne Wade, two world-class basketball players... Not to mention Ricky Rubio who has been on successful Olympic teams with Spain.

So to answer your question, even if their W/L record is crappy, it's still professional basketball at it's highest level. If you're not a fan, don't go.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
This would be the best thing to happen to the franchise. A REAL basketball mind in charge who's connected to the region.
As a Wolves fan, I agree 100%. I hope this ends up coming to fruition. Definitely glad it's someone who is connected to the area, and I am glad Glen Taylor wants to sell to someone committed to the area, unlike Howard Schultz when he sold the Seattle Supersonics to Clay Bennett who obviously from the start had every intention of relocating the team to OKC from Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Yes they do!!

This always frustrates me. Just like people who dogg the Twins. Ya, not every team can win every game, but you need to realize that it's the best of the best. There are 15 players on each NBA roster and 30 teams.. thats 450 top-end professional basketball players in the NBA. The best of best. Like last night - the Wolves drew a great crowd and it was fun to go watch LeBron James and Dwayne Wade, two world-class basketball players... Not to mention Ricky Rubio who has been on successful Olympic teams with Spain.

So to answer your question, even if their W/L record is crappy, it's still professional basketball at it's highest level. If you're not a fan, don't go.
Again, I agree 100%. The worst of the best(in this case the NBA) is still among the best in the world. And one thing that irks me is people act like EVERYONE on the team is bad just because the team has been struggling and is not doing well. There is no way Kevin Love or Rubio are among the worst in the NBA. Nor is Rick Adelman one of the worst coaches in the NBA. Not even close.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:17 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Personally I LOVE the fact - as an athlete - that we have all four major sports. Personally, If I had to choose one to leave, it would be the Queens as there is only 8 home games, and you can't really get tix for them anyways. Forget the Vikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Wolves are averaging 16,500!

16,500 * 41 = 676,500 downtown!

I agree that it can only help.

The Timberwolves have built quite the fan base. The franchise is in it's 24th season I believe. They have finished above .500% in winning only 8 times and are not on pace to do that this season. In the heart of the "KG years" (1996-2005) they built up quite the fan base that remains pretty strong, even with the all the losing before then and after. That 2003-2004 season was great. I can remember it like yesterday!

I wouldn't want them to leave. Having four professional teams gives your city a little more credibility, believe or not, that's just the way it is. They have no where to go, and if they go to KC, MSP will be just like KC- with three pro teams. Yay!

Joking aside, keep em' here, it's just a matter of time before they're sold to a new owner who actually cares
Very true.

But here's the reality: they aren't going to move as I believe a $100M upgrade was approved (correct me if I'm wrong) to the Target Center and Glen Taylor is native Minnesotan and he been on record saying he wants them to stay here.

But the real tragedy: we've been decimated this year in injuries to basically three of our starting five, not to mention Rubio coming back from a horrible injury,

It's just the Minnesota pro sports injury bug way; we're used to it. Personally the Wolves were terrorized by injuries more from my perspective than any of our other teams and it's made me very sad as I had high expectations for them this year.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Personally I LOVE the fact - as an athlete - that we have all four major sports. Personally, If I had to choose one to leave, it would be the Queens as there is only 8 home games, and you can't really get tix for them anyways. Forget the Vikes.

Very true.

But here's the reality: they aren't going to move as I believe a $100M upgrade was approved (correct me if I'm wrong) to the Target Center and Glen Taylor is native Minnesotan and he been on record saying he wants them to stay here.

But the real tragedy: we've been decimated this year in injuries to basically three of our starting five, not to mention Rubio coming back from a horrible injury,

It's just the Minnesota pro sports injury bug way; we're used to it. Personally the Wolves were terrorized by injuries more from my perspective than any of our other teams and it's made me very sad as I had high expectations for them this year.
]

Yeah I'm confident the Wolves aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Glen Taylor does want to sell the team though. And I think that would be good. Get a new refreshed ownership that is excited about winning and growth.

I think the Wolve's misery can be blamed solely on David Kahn, the GM. He's made some very poor moves, albeit some of his moves have been pretty darn good (Love & Rubio). He's failed too many drafts (Johnny Flynn) and hasn't gotten quality free agents to sign here. There's one little aspect that's out of his control - Injuries. Sure the Brandon Roy signing was a leap of faith and was pretty stupid, but you can't help with your 2 superstars get hurt- Kevin Love's hand and Rubio's ACL. Free Agents like Kirilinko and Barea and Budinger are huge blows the team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota