Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherespankakehouse? View Post
My dream is that they will invest in drainage, waterproofing, declare all Vikings games to be played in the elements, and restore the coldest homefield advantage in football. I know that's a pipedream though.
Most likely. It sounds like the stadium will definitely have some type of roof, and even if it is retractable, they'll have it closed when the cold sets in.

I think your best bet at this point is going to be to enjoy the time the Vikes spend playing at TCF. That'll kinda be a throwback to the old Met days.

An outsiders opinion is that I think the new facility should definitely be built to attract big fish events in addition to housing the NFL. MSP has ascended to become one of the nations most renowned metros, and as such they should play host to as many world class events as possible. The days of the sterile domed stadiums are gone.......this one is going to be the real deal, and I think most people will love it once it's done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:09 PM

95 posts, read 281,817 times
I think it is wonderful that the new Viking Stadium will have a retractable roof. Maybe the Twin Cities will have a MLS team one day.

Has a date been announced for the demolishment of Metrodome yet? I am hoping to see Metrodome before it is gone forever.

I noticed one post in this thread saying that Target Field didn't benefit the Twins that much. Wasn't Target Field recently chosen as the best MLB stadium in the country?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:03 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Five architectural firms submitted their proposals by the Aug 30th deadline. A public forum will be held at the Metrodome this Thursday at 5pm to show off their resumes, tho the new stadium plans won't be revealed until an architect is picked which is presume to occur at the Minnesota Stadium Authority's Sept 14th meeting.

Bids are in on Vikings stadium project | StarTribune.com

I'm hoping for something unlike any stadium design yet seen in this country, think luminescent panels and exterior LED lighting and hope that whoever is chosen can deliver something that people will look at and be gobsmacked...

significant previous or current projects of Kansas City-based Populous, formerly known as HOK Sport...

Lyon, France soccer stadium
http://images3.photomania.com/820687/1/rad62AD4.jpg
Grand Stade de l'Olympique Lyonnais -POPULOUS

Sochi, Russia Olympic venue
Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic & Paralympic Games -POPULOUS

Dublin, Ireland soccer stadium
Aviva Stadium -POPULOUS

Saudi Arabian....something or other (ok well this one admittedly might not be practical)
King Abdullah Sports City -POPULOUS

Old 09-02-2012, 08:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
It's too bad all that money can't be spent on something that is actually useful for society.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:47 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Stadium architect to be named on Friday, don't expect any detailed renderings but some colorful slashes across a white board would be nice for starters...

Vikings' stadium architect to be announced Friday | StarTribune.com

Old 09-26-2012, 01:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,673,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It's too bad all that money can't be spent on something that is actually useful for society.
Like what?

Old 09-26-2012, 02:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
All that money is gonna bring us a Super Bowl, Final Four, maybe a NBA all star game?, Wrestlemania?
Its kind of an embarrassment to the state when people around the nation see clips from vikings games or watch us sunday or monday nights and see this ugly dome stadium.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Like what?
We're talking about almost a billion dollars.

The Twin Cities isn't as lacking as many other areas of the country, but maybe the money could be used to provide scholarships for any student in the state that can maintain a B average in high school ... like the HOPE scholorship does here in Georgia? You know, investment in Minnesota's human capital?

Maybe it could be used towards the light rail network that is slowly being built in the Twin Cities?

I'm sure there are hundreds of worthwhile projects. What is more important to you than the NFL? Surely there's something...?

Building a Billion $ football stadium seems like such a tremendous waste when there are huge areas of the country where people are having a hard time just making a living because jobs have dried up. Yes, I realize entertainment is important to many, but .... a billion dollars?

I really don't get it.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:49 PM

413 posts, read 763,408 times
Quote:
We're talking about almost a billion dollars.

The Twin Cities isn't as lacking as many other areas of the country, but maybe the money could be used to provide scholarships for any student in the state that can maintain a B average in high school ... like the HOPE scholorship does here in Georgia? You know, investment in Minnesota's human capital?

Maybe it could be used towards the light rail network that is slowly being built in the Twin Cities?

I'm sure there are hundreds of worthwhile projects. What is more important to you than the NFL? Surely there's something...?

Building a Billion $ football stadium seems like such a tremendous waste when there are huge areas of the country where people are having a hard time just making a living because jobs have dried up. Yes, I realize entertainment is important to many, but .... a billion dollars?

I really don't get it.

The NFL has more or less made it such that if you want to be a part of the league, you need to step up and build or remodel your stadium to certain standards. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but just that it is the case.

You live in Georgia - the Georgia Dome is only 20 years old, and the Falcons want a new stadium now.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post
The NFL has more or less made it such that if you want to be a part of the league, you need to step up and build or remodel your stadium to certain standards. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but just that it is the case.

You live in Georgia - the Georgia Dome is only 20 years old, and the Falcons want a new stadium now.
Yep, I'm aware that the issue isn't just local to the Twin Cities. I just find it curious that sports teams seem to have so much leverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota