Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Finally, the Colts share of the $720M LOS was $100M or about 14%, the Vikings are paying $477M (49%) of the new $975M Minnesota facility.
Excellent detailed response, thank you very much!

Yes, the quote above is another matter of huge controversy that is still fueling heated arguments among Indy residents. Colts share of the operating costs was set up way too low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 05:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,521,390 times
Quote:
A thread to post and get updates to the development in and around the stadium formerly known as Metrodome.
Lets hope the other threads get closed.

------------------------------------------

Looks like its gonna be a great stadium, Downtown east really needs this.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,390,479 times
From all I've been keeping up on, the Arden Hills site should have been the place. Plus we could've done away with that unsightly area as well. Oh well. I'm a Ramsey County res/taxpayer so I guess It's a little less on me.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 AM

5 posts, read 13,346 times
I look forward to seeing the new stadium! I hope it would look great!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:20 PM

127 posts, read 192,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
From all I've been keeping up on, the Arden Hills site should have been the place. Plus we could've done away with that unsightly area as well. Oh well. I'm a Ramsey County res/taxpayer so I guess It's a little less on me.

I think a cheaper, lower maintenance outdoor stadium in the suburbs surrounded by tailgating was the way to go. I'm not convinced that wouldn't have been the end result had things fallen apart in the legislature. Arenas and ballparks belong in the downtown core, football stadiums should be out in space. I think Super Bowls belong in places like Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, San Diego, and Phoenix. Cities like Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, and Boston seem to be doing just fine, despite the lack of a giant "rec room" for the populous. Regional finals and opening round tournaments are a reasonable substitute to Final Four bids.

With that said, I'm looking forward to the dome site being the best it can be.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:29 PM

127 posts, read 192,666 times
For the price tag, I would like to think that they will be able to make a retractable roof work. The brass seems to love Lucas Oil, but I hope they try to mimic and improve upon Reliant Stadium's roof. I would like to see an open roof that leaves the field and a large chunk of the seating bowl under open sky. So many retractable roof stadiums have a tiny opening with sun-blotting infrastructure that makes you wonder what the point was.

If you have a true outdoor football stadium experience for August, September, October, and a great retractable roof venue that attracts an MLS team to town (overlooking the lack of a SSS), now I think you're starting to see a nice return on that public investment.

It's hard to get excited about another domed stadium in the same location where wider concourses, more bathrooms (gold-plated toilets & HDs on the club level), concessions, and limited/expensive tailgating are the big attractions. An MLS team, and the best retractable roof in North America would be something to get excited about.

My dream is that they will invest in drainage, waterproofing, declare all Vikings games to be played in the elements, and restore the coldest homefield advantage in football. I know that's a pipedream though.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,095,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherespankakehouse? View Post
For the price tag, I would like to think that they will be able to make a retractable roof work. The brass seems to love Lucas Oil, but I hope they try to mimic and improve upon Reliant Stadium's roof. I would like to see an open roof that leaves the field and a large chunk of the seating bowl under open sky. So many retractable roof stadiums have a tiny opening with sun-blotting infrastructure that makes you wonder what the point was.

If you have a true outdoor football stadium experience for August, September, October, and a great retractable roof venue that attracts an MLS team to town (overlooking the lack of a SSS), now I think you're starting to see a nice return on that public investment.

It's hard to get excited about another domed stadium in the same location where wider concourses, more bathrooms (gold-plated toilets & HDs on the club level), concessions, and limited/expensive tailgating are the big attractions. An MLS team, and the best retractable roof in North America would be something to get excited about.

My dream is that they will invest in drainage, waterproofing, declare all Vikings games to be played in the elements, and restore the coldest homefield advantage in football. I know that's a pipedream though.
you're hired!, now about that so called "budget"

Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 AM

Vikings Stadium Architectural and Engineering proposals due by August 30th, selection to be made by September 14th....

"The newly issued request for Vikings stadium architectural and engineering services says the A/E team must have experience as the primary design architect on at least one professional or college football stadium built in the last 10 years."

"Three firms — Kansas City, Mo.-based Populous (formerly HOK Sport), Los Angeles-based Ellerbe Becket/AECOM, and Dallas-based HKS — designed or co-designed two-thirds of those projects."

Few big players in Vikings stadium design sweepstakes | Finance & Commerce

among Populous' recent football stadiums is TCF Field and the Arizona Cardinals Stadium as well as Target Field and the Xcel Energy Arena.

Ellerbe/AECOM recently did the Seattle Seahawks Stadium and the Lambeau Field renovation.

HKS did the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis as well as the Dallas Cowboys Stadium.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 PM

308 posts, read 897,514 times
Quote:
I believe an MLS team would have Mpls/StP join with just New York & Washington, to have a franchise in the Big 4 (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) + WNBA + MLS.
did you miss Denver? a relatively small city, but with all the professional sports teams.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 AM

Default retractable roof?....not so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherespankakehouse? View Post

Charley Walters has reported that the initial cost estimate on a fully retractable roof came in at $190M, well above the previous estimates cited of from $25m to $50M. Highly unlikely that either the Stadium Authority or the Vikings will be willing to take on that expense. Still seems possible that they'll find a way to incorporate a moveable see-through curtain wall at the end of the stadium that faces downtown.

Charley Walters: Vikings stadium could have partially retractable roof - TwinCities.com

This also means that the chance of getting an MLS franchise has decreased significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota