Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:34 PM

424 posts, read 1,816,564 times

Advertisements

Be careful about Faribault. I have relatives there so I know it well from when I was younger. Faribault has lots of drugs and also a serious alcohol problem. It's not that family friendly. I knew a lot of people that got messed up there. I also know that Rice county has some of the highest (maybe the highest) abortion rates which tells me about a lot of the activity that goes on (HMMM!)

Although Faribault looks like a nice town, trust me...it is not family friendly! There are a lot of private schools that are nice if you want your child to avoid the public schools but be aware...they are very expensive (and the drug use rate is still high as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,264 times
Default so mn

Do not move to Albert Lea. You don't want to get wrapped up in the people, or the politics.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:48 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterfly13 View Post
Do not move to Albert Lea. You don't want to get wrapped up in the people, or the politics.
What is it about Albert Lea?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr View Post
Be careful about Faribault. I have relatives there so I know it well from when I was younger. Faribault has lots of drugs and also a serious alcohol problem. It's not that family friendly. I knew a lot of people that got messed up there. I also know that Rice county has some of the highest (maybe the highest) abortion rates which tells me about a lot of the activity that goes on (HMMM!)

Although Faribault looks like a nice town, trust me...it is not family friendly! There are a lot of private schools that are nice if you want your child to avoid the public schools but be aware...they are very expensive (and the drug use rate is still high as well).
No offense, but kids in small towns drink and have sex. I also challenge you to find a town in MN that doesn't have drugs. They don't exist! Abortion rates??? I'd have to assume your information is incorrect without a source. Myths...

Old 12-04-2008, 02:54 PM

15 posts, read 38,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What is it about Albert Lea?
Albert Lea is (was) a big time meat packing town, very pro union. Many of those manufacturing jobs have dried up and the town was not diverse enough so the local economy took a big hit. The final nail in the coffin was the Farmland fire years ago. The town lost 500+ jobs and in a town of 18,000 that is a lot.

It also hurts that the business climate in Iowa is better then MN, Albert Lea is only a few miles from Iowa.

A new courthouse and high school have been built in the past couple years so the taxes are very high. As the town has lost population the tax burden on everyone else goes up. The population of Freeborn county is what it was in the 40's.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,846 times
What about Redwood Falls?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:09 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
I spent last weekend at a Norwegian fest in Spring Grove, and loved the area. People actually stop their cars on these backroads that are gravel and offer help if the other person needs it. Very cool. The people seemed friendly, but that could be the Minnesota nice thing (I have no idea if it was or not). However, the area coming from Iowa was clean and so green and beautifully hilly that I really loved it. Very peaceful.
And lots of Norwegians in that area with lots of strawberry blonde hair.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,253 times
Well i live in Windom, lived here pretty much all my life just bought a house here and to be honest, i dont think i would move here if i was you....I would look for a smaller community outside the cities or something. Its just so dead end here. The school sucks, there are no after school programs besides the regular sports, we ddint even have cheerleaders for our football team until this year! sad. Meaning most of the kids do other things on their nights out.....im sure you can imagine.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:29 AM

9 posts, read 31,523 times
Albert Lea is a great choice! Small, but has alot to offer. Especially if you like nature or fishing. It"s next to 2 lakes, A state park. It's not unusual to see pelicans or bald eagles.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 AM

4 posts, read 7,989 times
Wabasso is the up and coming town in SW mn. Get in on the ground floor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota