Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 05:30 PM

69 posts, read 159,122 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My sister lives in Minneapolis and we are looking to move to the area. I was looking at some of the smaller towns and cities in the area, like Delano, Stillwater, Northfield, Anoka, etc. We are coming from California, though we spent several years living in Kansas, so are somewhat familiar with Midwest living. My husband is half-Thai, so I'm slightly concerned about how welcomed we would feel as a not totally white, Californian family moving into town. We would both be working remotely, so commute isn't an issue. Would like to be within an hour of Minneapolis, so I'm hoping that the surrounding cities are more used to out of towners

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 01:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Of course your family would feel welcome!

I know that people on the coasts think the entirety of the US between the Rockies and the Appalachians is scary racist right-winger territory, but Minnesota (especially the Twin Cities area) isn't like that at all.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,601 times
You wouldn't get a second glance. Not a whole lot of Thai, but there are some, and a pretty large Hmong population.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:50 AM

249 posts, read 503,967 times
You will have zero issues in any of those towns you mentioned.

Anoka isn't really a "small town" as much as a suburb that happens to have an older Main Street. You may not be "into" politics and certainly MN is less outright political than CA but each of the towns you listed except Delano are solidly Democratic. Delano still wouldn't be an issue for a visable minority. MN is not a scary place like the rural south - totally different type of person in general.

Old 04-20-2023, 01:27 PM

565 posts, read 470,434 times
paiste13, you are doing the op a disservice. MN is indeed a scary place, the inhabitants being decidedly worse than any you would find in the rural south.

Old 04-20-2023, 02:15 PM

249 posts, read 503,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
paiste13, you are doing the op a disservice. MN is indeed a scary place, the inhabitants being decidedly worse than any you would find in the rural south.
I don't buy the idea that someone wanting to move to an area is a bad thing. People should take pride in their quality of life and not put a moat around it.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:25 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
The Twin Cities has one of the largest concentrations of Asian-Americans outside of the coasts, largely due to a significant SE Asian population here-- in addition to Hmong persons, there are thriving Lao, Vietnamese, Karen/Burmese, Khmer and other communities here (lots of individuals who hail from Thailand but not sure how many actually identify as 'Thai' vs another community).

Much of the heart of Asian culture is found in the core urban areas, but you will find diversity in a variety of metro area suburbs/towns (all of which should have demographic data publicly available). I wouldn't worry in general about any of the cities you referenced, but I do know Delano has unfortunately had some racial incidents in recent years that weren't specific to Asian persons (to my knowledge), but may indicate a climate that needs some work there.

If you were to say more about what you are looking for in a city/town/neighborhood, you might get some better insight on which areas may be a better fit for your family's needs. Good luck and welcome!

Old 04-21-2023, 01:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
Appreciate your sarcasm.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:18 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
The good news- most of the racists in Minnesota are afraid of the police so hate crimes are not too common.

The bad news- there still is some subtle racism in rural Minnesota...it depends on who you are dealing with....I don't want to get too specific but I worked with a woman from a rural town in MN who was such a bigot. I had to tread carefully in our work conversations.

Rural MN is very quiet, so your family might have a harder time adjusting to the lack of activities or social scene.

The Twin Cities are a bit pricey for family outings. I always enjoyed the Cities as a single person so I didn't have to dig too deep to have a good time. Summers in Minneapolis are awesome.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:19 PM

69 posts, read 159,122 times
Sorry, I wasn't getting notifications for this post! We are pretty open to what we are looking for. My husband would like a house with a larger lot, ideally 0.25 acre or more. My mom would like a Catholic church, which pretty much everywhere has! I guess within an hour of Minneapolis, and if there are any towns/suburbs that are more known for a community feel, I would love something like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota