Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 AM

310 posts, read 1,196,854 times

Advertisements

Because of its drug scene. When I visited a relative there I thought the town was run by the mexican mofia. I later found out that it in fact some of its people did have connections with serious crime lords. I have heard its better now but I would never want to live there, also because its a boring place to live. Sorry if you live there but I just don't care for the town, like most of the people I've met from there. Its windy and seems like everyday is the same. EW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:11 AM

559 posts, read 1,323,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
Because of its drug scene. When I visited a relative there I thought the town was run by the mexican mofia. I later found out that it in fact some of its people did have connections with serious crime lords. I have heard its better now but I would never want to live there, also because its a boring place to live. Sorry if you live there but I just don't care for the town, like most of the people I've met from there. Its windy and seems like everyday is the same. EW
What? Are you sure you were in Marshall? Maby your thinking of Worthington? I lived in Marshall for a few years and I never seen anything like this. Marshall is the last place on Earth you have to worry about crime. The town is like Maberry. A Maberry with a large, coorperate headquarters (Schwans) and an outstanding, rural University. The only shady part of town is about 4 square blocks and even there, you can walk through at night without a worry. I like it alot better than towns like Pipestone and Windom because they have just enough stores and restaurants that you rarly have to leave town to get anything and the University and large businesses based there give it kind of a cosmopolitan feel. They have recently done alot of projects downtown that makes it a good place to shop and eat. A very good school system too.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:28 PM

Well I really didn't mean violent crime. I meant the drug crime. At least thats the way it was when I last visited about 10 years ago. I still think its far from Maberry. I knew someone that was in the DEA and he said that area was one of the worst in the whole state, maybe its clean now, I'm not sure. But I still have bad impressions of them places on my mind. The Willmar Mental hospital is a turn off for me to. I just wouldn't feel good about the thought of some seriously messed up people roaming the streets or whatever. EW

Old 01-28-2008, 12:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Well I really didn't mean violent crime. I meant the drug crime. At least thats the way it was when I last visited about 10 years ago. I still think its far from Maberry. I knew someone that was in the DEA and he said that area was one of the worst in the whole state, maybe its clean now, I'm not sure. But I still have bad impressions of them places on my mind. The Willmar Mental hospital is a turn off for me to. I just wouldn't feel good about the thought of some seriously messed up people roaming the streets or whatever. EW
Sorry but Marshall has NEVER been one of the worst in the state. The DEA has given Marshall awards for it's progressive attitude in keeping drugs and gangs OUT of the area. Sorry, Marshall is an exceptional place to live if you are looking for a small town.

None of your information is even remotely correct with Marshall or Willmar for that matter.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:34 PM

OK, then my DEA buddy must be a liar then. How many years have been in or visited Marshall? EW

Old 01-28-2008, 02:36 PM

Also, what information did I give that was incorrect about Willmar? I clearly said that I don't like it because of the Mental Hospital, that was also clearly my opinion of why I wouldn't want to live there. EW

Old 01-28-2008, 03:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
OK, then my DEA buddy must be a liar then. How many years have been in or visited Marshall? EW

I lived in Marshall for a total of 14 years, much better perspective on the town then one visit.

As for your incorrect information on Willmar, the mental hospital patients are not wandering the streets of town. Where do you live now that is so perfect?

Old 01-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Untitled Document

I had a friend that got sent to Willmar and patients do leave the hospital and wander the streets. I was just stating that my concern in living in Willmar would be this happening. Ew

Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
My hometown is almost equal distances to Marshall, Willmar and New Ulm so I know these towns well and I also currently live in Albert Lea.

Marshall is a nice little college town, quite, but not much there. It's far from any larger cities and shopping is not great. I think the school system is supposed to be pretty good but it's also located more in a flat prairie area so fewer trees.

Willmar is a nice town located near a couple nice lakes and it's growing. It's close enough to St. Cloud for shopping but I think crime is a bit higher than average there for the size of the town.

New Ulm is a very cute town with many beautiful old brick houses, quiet and quiant. Very scenic and driving distance from Mankato, which is a good sized city with lots to offer.

Albert Lea is a gorgeous little town but a bit smaller than the others. The whole town is built around lakes, which are beautiful! It has wonderful parks and is only about an 45 minutes from the southern suburbs of the Cities.

I also lived in the TC for a while and S. MN is surely not as cultured but people here are more laid back, have known eachother for years and would do anything to help eachother out. I would suggest looking into New Ulm, Mankato or Albert Lea rather than Marshall and Willmar but it's all about what you are looking for.
What would places like Faribault, Mankato and Northfield be like for newcomers?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:51 PM

55 posts, read 305,351 times
Default Faribault was so-so!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What would places like Faribault, Mankato and Northfield be like for newcomers?
Hey...Faribault is one of the towns I happened to visit...and I found this one so-so...compared to the neighboring others...like Fairmont, for instance, which is completed sided by lakes (skeeter problems during hot nights)
but
Faribault was OK...at least for family purposes...there was a nice park there, The Faribault Park where the kids used to run Kart Competions on weekends...
But no night life at all...everything too quiet after dusk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota