Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:44 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times

Advertisements

Whats the chances this will pass?
http://www.mndaily.com/2011/02/28/minnesota-‘right-work’-bill-stalls-legislature (broken link)

Poll: Minnesota voters support right to work referendum … 55/24 « Hot Air

Minnesota Mulls Right-to-Work Bill - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 11:59 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
If it actually makes it to a vote, I'd put it pretty split. But I think there's a decent chance it won't make it out of the legislature.

I'm a little concerned with the number of proposals we're getting for rule by constitutional amendment. Changing the constitution is literally changing the framework of how you want government to function, which is a big step. I'd prefer not to be California, which is definitely one of the most dysfunctional states in the union and decides everything by popular vote.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
"Right to work" is a euphemism for union busting. Wake up folks: the plutocrats have been doing this dance for 30 years, and are going to keep squeezing you and creating lies such as the above until you do something to stop them. Otherwise your children will all be working as slaves.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
even in states like WI wages have been going down. Being a 'union state' doesn't help much, the company will just leave if they don't get what they want. Too bad the middle class is being so squeezed and medical costs are so high. We need a weak dollar and regulation on the medical industry to reduce drug costs, unnecessary prescriptions, medical care for illegals, etc. The border must be sealed tight to maintain our standard of living, we can't just give free everything away to anyone who wants it. Also, these people work for dirt cheap and have displaced work that regular people could be doing for higher wages.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:26 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
We need honest people running the country rather than the self-serving parasites that infest the halls of power. All the rest is a smoke screen thrown up by them to muddle the issues.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
they really are. The system is designed to keep funneling more money to the top. Though for what it's worth, the standard of living for the lower classes in our country is still not bad. Things could be better but they sure could be worse. My main beef is they seem to be worsening over time due to greed, and nothing is being done and I don't see any solution from either side, though the republicans have left a bad taste in my mouth, having used to have been one.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Don't you guys support freedom of choice?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
If it actually makes it to a vote, I'd put it pretty split. But I think there's a decent chance it won't make it out of the legislature.

I'm a little concerned with the number of proposals we're getting for rule by constitutional amendment. Changing the constitution is literally changing the framework of how you want government to function, which is a big step. I'd prefer not to be California, which is definitely one of the most dysfunctional states in the union and decides everything by popular vote.
The governor can't veto constitutional amendments. That is what this is all about.

I think the Republicans know that it is unlikely that they will hold both houses of the legislature for a long period of time so the amendments are a way for them to go around the governor and institutionalize their agenda.

In essence they are using this moment of contolling the legistature to try to ram through their entire wish list in the form of constitutional amendments voted by the public as referendums. It is a terrible way to govern in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Don't you guys support freedom of choice?
You can choose not to take a union position now. It's not like positions which require joining a union make that fact a secret. In many cases, it's a strong selling point.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The governor can't veto constitutional amendments. That is what this is all about.

I think the Republicans know that it is unlikely that they will hold both houses of the legislature for a long period of time so the amendments are a way for them to go around the governor and institutionalize their agenda.

In essence they are using this moment of contolling the legistature to try to ram through their entire wish list in the form of constitutional amendments voted by the public as referendums. It is a terrible way to govern in my opinion.
That's exactly the problem. The GOP essentially knows that Dayton will veto any bill like this, so they want to go around him completely. The problem is that ruling by amendment is a messy process. I don't want to be California, as I said before. People are fickle and vote on their emotions. Politicians, for all the horrible things they do, at least tend to temper bills down a bit, knowing full well their accountable to people who know their voting record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota