Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 AM

455 posts, read 638,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yes, I strongly agree.

It's a shame, however, that so many decisions of that nature are made either (1) based on false premises, or (2) made for purely self-serving reasons by a manager with little regard for the long-term future of the business. Of course, unions have done the same thing. Sometimes greed is tremendously unhealthy.
I agree with you on all of that, too. I don't think that unions are the answer to any of those problems, but I do think that misaligned incentives can have devastating consequences--I particularly have in mind public company executives and people in the financial sector who are constantly judged (and compensated) by investors (which includes not only institutional investors, but also by implication, simple retail investors like most everybody in this forum) based on short-term returns and performance. (Similar problems exist on sports teams where coaches who might be good coaches get fired because they didn't win a championship in the first two years, even though perhaps they could have been great coaches for the program if they had more freedom to pursue a long-term agenda.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:33 PM

434 posts, read 552,797 times
Any news on whether this passed or not?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 PM

989 posts, read 2,963,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
Any news on whether this passed or not?
Check back in November if it makes it onto the ballot. That is not yet a given.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM

434 posts, read 552,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Check back in November if it makes it onto the ballot. That is not yet a given.

Hopefully we don't get a fiasco like what happened in Wisconsin, I think last year, when the the republicans put something like this on a bill, and the democrats left the state so they couldn't do a vote.

I don't remember exactly what happened. Maybe someone can refresh me by maybe posting a link or something.

I would personally see that pass. It seems that unions have sort of outlived their usefulness. There are plenty of laws protecting workers, as well as employers. I have worked with a few union people who would have been let go from their jobs for lack of performance (being lazy) if they weren't in a union.

It's like this story I heard on the news a few months ago about this air traffic controller who had a close call between 2 planes on his shift because he was sleeping. He had reprimands for the same or similar things a few times, but the union helped him keep his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota