Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:50 PM

161 posts, read 278,504 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting topic for me being from west Michigan. I would like to relocate to Minn eventually so it's nice to read comparisions.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:21 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
bs, unless you are counting puddles too.
He's right. Three million lakes. Alaska Hydrologic Survey

Now, agreed that some of them are probably pretty darn small, but we do that too. Wing Lake, Hennepin County, Minnesota, USA - Maps, Photos, Weather, Local Links

Old 11-21-2011, 02:46 PM

400 posts, read 293,989 times
Quote:
bs, unless you are counting puddles too.
Alaska has 3,000,000+ lakes 20 acres in size or larger:
About Alaska

Minnesota has 11,842 lakes 10 acres in size or larger:
Lakes, rivers & wetlands: Minnesota Facts & Figures: Minnesota DNR

Is it really that big a deal being accurate in claims? I just found it amusing that anyone with even a cursory knowledge of American geography could think that Alaska has more shoreline (however defined) than... well, than any other state.

People seem emotionally vested in this idea that state X is better than State Y because it has more Z. Strange. I'd much rather live right here in Minnesota than in Alaska for a variety of reasons, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest that Alaska has more lakes (sorry, puddles!) or shoreline than Minnesota. Why would it bother me? But it bothers some people.

Very strange indeed...

Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
MN has more shoreline then any state in the union, including Florida and Alaska. No one swims in Lake Superior, but they do in most of the 15,000+ other lakes in MN.
Minnesota has a total shoreline of 90,000 miles. (http://www.state.mn.us/portal/mn/jsp/content.do?id=-8542&subchannel=null&sc2=null&sc3=null&contentid=5 36881431&contenttype=EDITORIAL&programid=536888179 &agency=NorthStar - broken link) Alaska has over 3 million lakes greater than 20 acres in size. Assuming that all 3 million are exactly 20 acres and have the smallest possible perimeter (circular shape), we have:

20 acres = 0.03125 square miles
0.03125 = pi*r^2
so r = 0.09974 miles
2*pi*r = 0.6267 miles
0.6267 * 3 million = 1.88 million miles

The real figure is of course much higher.

In short, you're wrong.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
He's right. Three million lakes. Alaska Hydrologic Survey

Now, agreed that some of them are probably pretty darn small, but we do that too. Wing Lake, Hennepin County, Minnesota, USA - Maps, Photos, Weather, Local Links
sorry, just sayin' it don't make it true and the lake nerds up there just threw out a number knowing they really didn't have to prove a thing.

However as a comparison, Canada is 6 times the size of Alaska. Any casual glance at a map would show they have way more lakes then Alaska and yet they are only claiming 2 to 3 million lakes themselves. So unless Alaska is also counting the pools on the cruise ships sailing up and down the coast, it ain't true.

Discover Canada's Lakes

The Atlas of Canada - Physical Components of Watersheds

Old 11-21-2011, 03:55 PM

400 posts, read 293,989 times
Quote:
sorry, just sayin' it don't make it true and the lake nerds up there just threw out a number knowing they really didn't have to prove a thing.

However as a comparison, Canada is 6 times the size of Alaska. Any casual glance at a map would show they have way more lakes then Alaska and yet they are only claiming 2 to 3 million lakes themselves. So unless Alaska is also counting the pools on the cruise ships sailing up and down the coast, it ain't true.

Discover Canada's Lakes

Oh, yes, anyone who disagrees with you is a 'lake nerd' who made up a number. And, of course, that's false-- we both provided citations. But I suppose it sounds better just to claim we 'threw out a number' 'cause, ya know, 'winning' an argument is so much more important than being honest...

Anyway, you responded by... providing a citation that did not contradict our claims. Brilliant...

Why does the number of lakes found in Alaska upset you so?

Very strange...

Old 11-21-2011, 04:16 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,465 times
Quote:

Discover Canada's Lakes

I won't defend the 3 million figure because I don't know how it was estimated.

Even under the ultraconservative method I employed, Alaska needs only 150,000 lakes of 20 acres or more to exceed Minnesota's shoreline figure. If you consider ocean shoreline, it needs only 90,000.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
I won't defend the 3 million figure because I don't know how it was estimated.

Even under the ultraconservative method I employed, Alaska needs only 150,000 lakes of 20 acres or more to exceed Minnesota's shoreline figure. If you consider ocean shoreline, it needs only 90,000.
I never said that Alaska's lakes don't dwarf the number of Minnesota's or any other states' for that matter. I wouldn't even doubt that it has more lakes than all of the lower 48 combined. I also never said anything about shoreline and I think the comparison Golfgal flubbed, relates to MN shoreline as compared to Florida + California + Hawaii.

Still, unless one wants to maintain that Alaska has more lakes than Canada, that number is no where close to the 3,000,000 that is so casually stated as fact by people too gullible to question whatever they happen to read.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Ok, it should have been the most shoreline in the CONTINENTAL US...not Alaska..

Old 11-21-2011, 06:58 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPrincess View Post
This is an interesting topic for me being from west Michigan. I would like to relocate to Minn eventually so it's nice to read comparisions.
I'm also from West Michigan, and I prefer Michigan to Minnesota. MI has the Great Lakes, and the winters are much milder due to the lake effect. Plus, Minnesota is overly family-oriented, which may or may not be a problem depending on your perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota