Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
We honestly must have one of the most poorly designed highway systems in the country, when 3 lanes becomes 2 becomes 1 becomes 2 again and then 1, with left lane exit on top of left lane exit while oposing traffic is trying to merge in at 30 miles an hour below freeway speeds because of the ramp design, or having 2 freeway systems trying to merge together within a single lane like crosstown or 394.

Who's responsible for this mess? Has anyone documented what's going on with our road system and why it is the way it is? And why is it whenever there's road construction an entire neighborhood or part of the city is fubared because all the alternate routes magically sprout construction at the same time?
Who is responsible, time and population growths. The Crosstown with 2 lanes and the current set up was fine 30 years ago but more traffic and growth in the metro has made it obsolete, thus the redesign. Time and money are the main causes of a lot of these odd lane changes. Support more taxes to change the outdated roads faster I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 03:05 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,413,502 times
Here's an interesting link... Personally, I don't think I would ever put one of these stickers on my windshield... Left Lane Drivers Unite!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,797 times
Floridians are the worst drivers IMO. I'm pretty sure they've never heard of the "slower traffic keep right" since you can get your driving permit online without taking the driver's ed class. On top of this, the state is too CHEAP to buy/make signs letting drivers know when a lane ends, right turn only, speed limit, etc. And I wonder why there's all these accidents and why car insurance is so expensive.

I'll rather drive in MN than in Florida.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.username View Post
I'll rather drive in MN than in Florida.
I'd much rather drive in MN than here in GA, or in IL around the Chicago area.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:12 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,952,480 times
I hate when I return to MN the people driving 50 in the left lane or 5 mph under what the speed limit is. Stay in the right lane where you belong. I remember being taught that all lanes were the same speed. But after living in 5 states this is backward as he%&. I've got places to go, people to meet and babes to kiss.

And another thing....they should take all the country people off the road and teach them how to use and entrance ramp on the freeway. Somewhere outside the cities like Forest lake or Northfield there should be a practice station (especially for Iowans).

Old 08-23-2008, 03:36 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,380,428 times
This thread is amusing. MN may not have the best drivers in the world, but they're a whole lot better than WA drivers, and especially western WA drivers. It's not just due to the roads that the Seattle area has some of the worst traffic in the country. This place has some of the worst drivers in the country, they have all of the issues listed here plus are as easily distracted as a 2 year old. A pop can or piece of retread on the side of the road is enough to cause a traffic jam.

I've seen all of the usual weird things people do in cars, reading, eating, putting on makeup but the strangest was a guy playing a full size guitar while driving down interstate 5.

Every time I come home to MN I'm amazed at how good most drivers are compared to what I'm used to seeing every day.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:40 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,679,670 times
I tend to drive at 2-3 above the speed limit, and I even take my speedometer error into account (it reads about 3-4 MPH high at highway speeds when I calculate my speed from mile posts). I even move over to the right WHEN practical, just to keep the peace, and in order to NOT be the next guy the State Patrol pulls over. (Talk about defeating the supposed purpose of your excess speed!)

I think some of your problems stem from the fact that the speed limit seems to mean nothing to some of you. In other words, the problem exists in your own head. Which means it's not my problem--never has been, never will be--and I really just don't care about moving right for speeders.

Yeah, I'll move over, after I pass whomever I'm passing, (or I'll stay there until I take that left lane exit), but if I'm already over the limit, well, boo hoo.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,128,049 times
This thread addresses my greatest pet peeve of all time!

The rule is: DRIVE FASTER THAN THE PERSON ON YOUR RIGHT!

IF YOU DON'T, THEN YOU SHOULD MOVE TO THE RIGHT!!! It doesn't matter if you feel you're traveling at the "speed limit." MOVE!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:52 AM

109 posts, read 441,697 times
Ha, you all think MN traffic sucks? Try driving in Bismarck, ND! Due to the recent growth of the city, noone here knows how to drive in traffic except for the high schoolers who have just recently gotten their licenses and are used to it. All the older people who lived here when there was still no poplulation here still drive like there should be no cars! If you're driving on the interstate from north Bismarck to Mandan and there's 5 cars, everyone freaks out and slams on their breaks and before you know it you're going 40 in a 60 because everyone gets freaked out by five other cars being around them! No joke!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:28 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,210,460 times
I believe the problem is complicated further by cruise control. Many drivers (some have stated this on threads in other newspapers) set their cruise at around 70.

They then come up behind a semi going 69. Common sense would say you slow down and set your cruise a little slower or speed up to pass the semi.

But, no, posters have stated they pass the semi with their cruise control on.

It takes a looooong time for a car going 70 to pass a semi going 69.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota