Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,718,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Does ANYONE have a solution to being "tax accountable", or are you just going to say "nay" to more taxes and "yay" to less spendiing? Do any of you understand where your tax dollars go, how efficient/inefficient the system is, or know a way how to measure education "success"? I'm not sure I do, but I'm pretty sure nobody really does, so how can you say it's inefficient?

Does anyone NOT see the correlation between the housing bubble collapse and the fall in real estate prices with the budget shortfalls each state and the nation is experiencing? I sure do. It seems clearly like a revenue issue: from less tax revenue due to a recessional economy. I want to see a COMPROMISE between taxes and cutting expenses, but I also want to see accountability and an "open book" method moving forward so people feel comfortable with how their dollars are being spent.
I sure see your point but tax revenues in Minnesota increased in the last fiscal year versus the prior one. I want to see higher tax revenue but not necessarily higher tax rates. What we need are more taxpayers not higher tax rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 PM

39 posts, read 57,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I sure see your point but tax revenues in Minnesota increased in the last fiscal year versus the prior one. I want to see higher tax revenue but not necessarily higher tax rates. What we need are more taxpayers not higher tax rates.
And more tax payers will NOT go there if the tax rates are higher...Minnesota isn't NYC where it can tax people to death and people will still flock there.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:30 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,886,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinoid View Post
I don't mind paying taxes. But I do mind being heavily taxed...for what? Do YOU know where your tax dollars are going? It is about EFFICIENT spending, which states and the government does not do. Because it isn't their money. There is no excuse for Minnesota being the 6th highest taxed state in the country: no reason. The situation of Minnesota isn't that great.
I JUST SAID I did not know how our tax dollars are spent, and that you don't know either, so how do you know they are being spent INEFFICIENTLY? You don't, necessarily. SOMEBODY has to be #6 in taxes, right? Considering our economy is always top-notch and so are our schools, I feel okay with the price we pay for it. Could it be better? Always! Is it too much? I have no idea without seeing the numbers.

You also didn't address most of my questions.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,886,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Didn't the Recession officially end in 2010? I don't know the fiscal calander for state taxes, so I don't know when things should hit or overlap.

I am all for more revenue through volume, but it's a "catch 22": more taxes deter people (esp. from FL, TX, and AZ), and less taxes drives volumes up but rates down.

If there is a way to lower taxes on corporations to a rate that would make them relocate here, they would bring their employees (volume) AND pay a much higher corporate tax rate (revenue). I'd be okay with that!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I JUST SAID I did not know how our tax dollars are spent, and that you don't know either, so how do you know they are being spent INEFFICIENTLY? You don't, necessarily. SOMEBODY has to be #6 in taxes, right? Considering our economy is always top-notch and so are our schools, I feel okay with the price we pay for it. Could it be better? Always! Is it too much? I have no idea without seeing the numbers.

You also didn't address most of my questions.
What services does Minnesota provide that New Hampshire, Texas and Florida do not? What makes life so much better in Minnesota than these places? Can these benefits be directly correlated to government efforts? If you are finding that a difficult question to answer then you understand where I am coming from.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:39 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,718,604 times
Quote:
Didn't the Recession officially end in 2010? I don't know the fiscal calander for state taxes, so I don't know when things should hit or overlap.

I am all for more revenue through volume, but it's a "catch 22": more taxes deter people (esp. from FL, TX, and AZ), and less taxes drives volumes up but rates down.

If there is a way to lower taxes on corporations to a rate that would make them relocate here, they would bring their employees (volume) AND pay a much higher corporate tax rate (revenue). I'd be okay with that!
The fiscal year ends on June 30, which is why the state government shutdown on July 1. I think we are on the same wave length. The point is to raise revenue not tax rates. Some folks don't see the difference.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times
Retinoid, why are you posting here? Did I miss that? Now it looks like you don't plan on living here, you don't live here currently, and perhaps have never lived here? How exactly does it matter to you where we rank in the tax lists? And I think you're missing something: people ARE moving to Minnesota. Our population has been growing. Of course we all want efficient spending, but I don't think one can make the argument that people are fleeing MN (or not moving here) due to taxes. And comparing New Hampshire to Minnesota doesn't make much sense (other than as a personal decision as to which place you'd like to live); the two states are VERY different. New Hampshire is a small, mostly rural state. I've also heard (no personal experience, and don't know how it compares to MN) that property tax is quite high there. In any case, what works in one state very often can't be replicated in another state; there are simply too many variables. I've also read some reports on New Hampshire that give it fairly negative reports as far as how efficiently it spends its money, for that matter. I, for one, am happy that Minnesota does NOT follow in the New Hampshire model.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Retinoid, why are you posting here? Did I miss that? Now it looks like you don't plan on living here, you don't live here currently, and perhaps have never lived here? How exactly does it matter to you where we rank in the tax lists? And I think you're missing something: people ARE moving to Minnesota. Our population has been growing. Of course we all want efficient spending, but I don't think one can make the argument that people are fleeing MN (or not moving here) due to taxes. And comparing New Hampshire to Minnesota doesn't make much sense (other than as a personal decision as to which place you'd like to live); the two states are VERY different. New Hampshire is a small, mostly rural state. I've also heard (no personal experience, and don't know how it compares to MN) that property tax is quite high there. In any case, what works in one state very often can't be replicated in another state; there are simply too many variables. I've also read some reports on New Hampshire that give it fairly negative reports as far as how efficiently it spends its money, for that matter. I, for one, am happy that Minnesota does NOT follow in the New Hampshire model.
Why do you care why I am posting here am I violating any rules? Furthermore if you read the thread you will see that it is my thread and people are responding to my posts.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:11 PM

177 posts, read 425,686 times
Weren't there talks about these recently in the midst of the shut down? I thought I've read some where that the no tax on clothes might be the thing of the past if the proposal is approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Keep in mind that income tax is only one part of a larger puzzle. There are other forms of taxes, and of tax breaks. We don't pay taxes on food or clothes, for example, and renters (at least those making less than 60k or so) get a nice renter property tax refund that's (I think) 15% of rent paid. Not sure what the current status is of all those programs, though, but I don't think for many people, particularly those making $30,000, then income tax alone would be enough to make or break a decision to move to the state.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 PM

177 posts, read 425,686 times
It needs so much tax in order to meet the demand of many people that don't want to work but yet wanted everything for free. Seriously. MN is the most liberal state for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinoid View Post
Minnesota is the 6th highest taxed state (not just income taxes). I don't know...do you think NH is really worse off compared to Minnesota?...New Hampshire has a pretty high standard of living and low unemployment rate.

You guys don't get it...it isn't how much you make it is what you spend it on. If I am making ten million dollars a year and have a jet, 5 houses, yacht and I buy everyone drinks at bars then I will be pretty poor. My solution isn't to make more money...So if New Hampshire can do it...then why can't Minnesota? Why does Minnesota need so much tax revenue to make life wondrous and happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota