Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM

302 posts, read 726,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Non sequitur? I think not. Sorry if I offended you, "southern"smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 04:04 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Governor Mark Dayton recently attempted to set the top MN state income tax rate at 13.95%, the highest in the country.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 PM

39 posts, read 57,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
When I moved here from California my income tax when up. So did my quality of life. You get what you pay for. The lowest taxed states have the lowest quality of life (but let's not get into politics).
So you are saying if you live in Boston you should have a lower quality of life than Minneapolis? And if you live in Florida or Texas or New Hampshire then you should REALLY expect a lower quality of life since there are no state income taxes Living in NYC you should have an amazing quality of life since you pay state and city taxes. Let's raise state income taxes to 100% to optimize quality of lives! yay!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 PM

398 posts, read 993,312 times
It seems to me that Minnesota is some kind of living proof of the fallacy of the notion that higher taxes hurt the economy. Right now the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area has an unemployment rate of 6.3%. The only metro area with a larger population that has a lower unemployment rate is Washington, DC, and that is only because of all the government jobs in that area. Minneapolis-St. Paul's economy is one of the healthiest major city economies in the country.

Furthermore, if you look at other statewide metro areas like St. Cloud, Mankato, and Rochester, as well as metro areas that include portions of Minnesota like La Crosse and Fargo, those metro areas also have some of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. Mankato unemployment is 5.1%. Rochester is 5.4%.

In case you did not notice yesterday, the nationwide unemployment rate is 9.2%.

Minnesota has the nation's largest privately held company, Cargill. It has some of the nation's best public companies like Best Buy, Target, UnitedHealth Group, 3M, Xcel Energy, US Bank, and General Mills. These companies do not seem to be suffering at all due to supposed high taxes in Minnesota. Minnesota's unemployment rate does not seem to be suffering due to high taxes.

It seems to me that high taxes have not hurt Minnesota's economy. The GOP is constantly demagoguing with scare tactics about how higher taxes will drive away jobs and hurt the economy. It hasn't happened in Minnesota. If high taxes haven't hurt Minnesota's economy after all these years, it looks to me like the demagoguing about taxes is just a scare tactic. How long has Minnesota been one of the highest tax states in the country and yet here it is in this recession having one of the best economies. This argument that higher taxes hurts the economy is a fallacy. Minnesota is a perfect example of it.

You know what actually hurts the economy in Minnesota is Republicans shutting down the government because they can't get their tax cuts and spending cuts. That has probably caused more bad publicity and more harm to businesses in Minnesota than the claim about high taxes.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
southernsmoke.....nobody agrees with your "the South is better" here and never will (unless they're on the way out).

Old 07-09-2011, 05:02 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinoid View Post
So you are saying if you live in Boston you should have a lower quality of life than Minneapolis? And if you live in Florida or Texas or New Hampshire then you should REALLY expect a lower quality of life since there are no state income taxes Living in NYC you should have an amazing quality of life since you pay state and city taxes. Let's raise state income taxes to 100% to optimize quality of lives! yay!
I have a better idea: let's LOWER taxes and let only the rich enjoy good services like healthcare and schools and roads and let the poor, middle-class/working-class scramble for the tiny remainder! Oh wait, I forgot, you can get all these services with practically NO money, right (or much less than what we're being taxed)?

Good luck with that!

Old 07-09-2011, 05:08 PM

39 posts, read 57,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I have a better idea: let's LOWER taxes and let only the rich enjoy good services like healthcare and schools and roads and let the poor, middle-class/working-class scramble for the tiny remainder! Oh wait, I forgot, you can get all these services with practically NO money, right (or much less than what we're being taxed)?

Good luck with that!

Um.....you do realize the 7% income tax is on the middle class/working class? So if you didn't have that 7% income tax how is that going to help out the rich and hurt the middle/working class

Old 07-09-2011, 05:09 PM

455 posts, read 637,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
southernsmoke.....nobody agrees with your "the South is better" here and never will (unless they're on the way out).
Red herring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seriously, Minnesotans apparently love to justify their sky-high tax burden by pretending that it must mean that Minnesotans have better lives than people in states that are actually run efficiently.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:24 PM

302 posts, read 726,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinoid View Post
Quote from WSJ story (http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2010/09/28/high-tax-states-still-grow-millionaires/): (broken link) "In fact, despite their very high taxes, the millionaire populations and the millionaire densities of Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, California and New York increased in 2010 from 2009. That suggests that the states gained more millionaires than they lost."..."in general, most high-net-worth households don’t base their living decision on tax rates, but on things like quality of life, access to good education, infrastructure and culture."

Coincidence? I think not. I DO think there can be some variances when you are in BIG cities (NYC, L.A., SFO, Boston) just due to population and demand for services. But generally speaking, higher taxes (income or otherwise) = improved quality of life.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:27 PM

164 posts, read 256,810 times
southernsmoke discovered Wikipedia today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota