Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:00 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,812,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinoid View Post
They say South Florida's schools are bad but I went to them and I would think I am not totally stupid for going to them...I was also in all AP classes and such.

You have to understand...the schools in Florida for instance are burdened as we get a lot of immigrants just like California does. Minnesota does not. So of course overall our schools look worse because there are many people who have immigrant parents (or who are immigrants themselves) and thus have issues facing them scholastically (not to mention the school districts do too). So it isn't because you pay a high state income tax, you are comparing two different things.
Perhaps - but Florida has no income tax and I paid $40K annually for elementary school tuition for 2 children. If we were to move back - they would return to private schools. Regardless of the reason - - the math falls in favor of MN.

BTW the Twin Cities does have a Hmong and Somali immigrant population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 07:08 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,894,942 times
Quote:
Um.....you do realize the 7% income tax is on the middle class/working class? So if you didn't have that 7% income tax how is that going to help out the rich and hurt the middle/working class
I can't respond to this: too many problems to address with your statement.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:09 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,728,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
"Again"...."Again" what?? I answered your question. I'd like to know what is YOUR definition of "quality of life"? Please make your point (if you have one).
You don't have to get snotty about it. My question, which you have never answered, is this: would you accept that the term quality of life might mean different things to different people? Is that so difficult?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Red herring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seriously, Minnesotans apparently love to justify their sky-high tax burden by pretending that it must mean that Minnesotans have better lives than people in states that are actually run efficiently.
But the numbers and rankings don't hurt the theory, no? Where are you from that you feel is "better" than MN, and how is it better? I guess if Minnesotans (if you become one, that is) value schools, roads, police/fire, healthcare, general welfare, parks, etc. etc. etc......then I suppose (to date) taxes have been the main resource for these services. Do you have another idea as to how to achieve some of the successes and build the amenities this state has WITHOUT taxes? And "cutting expenses" or "spending less" is not going to suffice: not only because it's to general and high-level, but also because it's an opinion and not substantial.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:13 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,764,033 times
Quote:
Why the hell do I care about private school tuition I am 21yrs old? What real benefit would I have moving to Minnesota paying a 7% income tax vs. moving to New Hampshire or Texas and paying no income tax? I am glad you found a benefit.
Have you run any of the other numbers? Doesn't sound like it. Income tax is just ONE part of the picture. There are all sorts of other taxes and fees to consider. Not to mention potential salary differences; some of that depends on field, but when my husband searched for jobs in some of the major Texas cities he found that the salaries were much lower. You COULD be better off in New Hampshire or Texas, but would you seriously base that decision on income tax alone? Especially just income tax on a 30k salary? Sounds pretty short-sighted to me.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:13 PM

39 posts, read 57,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I can't respond to this: too many problems to address with your statement.
Um okay

Old 07-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Have you run any of the other numbers? Doesn't sound like it. Income tax is just ONE part of the picture. There are all sorts of other taxes and fees to consider. Not to mention potential salary differences; some of that depends on field, but when my husband searched for jobs in some of the major Texas cities he found that the salaries were much lower. You COULD be better off in New Hampshire or Texas, but would you seriously base that decision on income tax alone? Especially just income tax on a 30k salary? Sounds pretty short-sighted to me.
Minnesota is the 6th highest taxed state (not just income taxes). I don't know...do you think NH is really worse off compared to Minnesota?...New Hampshire has a pretty high standard of living and low unemployment rate.

You guys don't get it...it isn't how much you make it is what you spend it on. If I am making ten million dollars a year and have a jet, 5 houses, yacht and I buy everyone drinks at bars then I will be pretty poor. My solution isn't to make more money...So if New Hampshire can do it...then why can't Minnesota? Why does Minnesota need so much tax revenue to make life wondrous and happy?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Does ANYONE have a solution to being "tax accountable", or are you just going to say "nay" to more taxes and "yay" to less spendiing? Do any of you understand where your tax dollars go, how efficient/inefficient the system is, or know a way how to measure education "success"? I'm not sure I do, but I'm pretty sure nobody really does, so how can you say it's inefficient?

Does anyone NOT see the correlation between the housing bubble collapse and the fall in real estate prices with the budget shortfalls each state and the nation is experiencing? I sure do. It seems clearly like a revenue issue: from less tax revenue due to a recessional economy. I want to see a COMPROMISE between taxes and cutting expenses, but I also want to see accountability and an "open book" method moving forward so people feel comfortable with how their dollars are being spent.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
BTW the Twin Cities does have a Hmong and Somali immigrant population

Don't even try to compare the immigration problems of Florida, Texas and California (and Arizona) with Minnesota.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Does ANYONE have a solution to being "tax accountable", or are you just going to say "nay" to more taxes and "yay" to less spendiing? Do any of you understand where your tax dollars go, how efficient/inefficient the system is, or know a way how to measure education "success"? I'm not sure I do, but I'm pretty sure nobody really does, so how can you say it's inefficient?

Does anyone NOT see the correlation between the housing bubble collapse and the fall in real estate prices with the budget shortfalls each state and the nation is experiencing? I sure do. It seems clearly like a revenue issue: from less tax revenue due to a recessional economy. I want to see a COMPROMISE between taxes and cutting expenses, but I also want to see accountability and an "open book" method moving forward so people feel comfortable with how their dollars are being spent.
I don't mind paying taxes. But I do mind being heavily taxed...for what? Do YOU know where your tax dollars are going? It is about EFFICIENT spending, which states and the government does not do. Because it isn't their money. There is no excuse for Minnesota being the 6th highest taxed state in the country: no reason. The situation of Minnesota isn't that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota