Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 46,167 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are an interracial couple. We have two children and plan to have a lot more. We have been thinking a lot about moving out to Minnesota, but we've heard that there is a lot of racism there. Are there any places in Minnesota where there is very little racism, without it being "ghetto"? The state sounds so perfect for us besides the racism issue, so we'd hate to not be able to move there.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2007, 01:32 PM

102 posts, read 468,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydniesmommy View Post
My husband and I are an interracial couple. We have two children and plan to have a lot more. We have been thinking a lot about moving out to Minnesota, but we've heard that there is a lot of racism there. Are there any places in Minnesota where there is very little racism, without it being "ghetto"? The state sounds so perfect for us besides the racism issue, so we'd hate to not be able to move there.

Thanks
Go Away...really racism....do you realize minnesota has not voted FREAKIN REPUBLICAN since the 60's it is the ONLY state not to VOTE for your BUDDY REAGAN....JUst GO AWAY. MN is more liberal than most of CA.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:44 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,844 times
This topic has been discussed ad nauseum here lately; maybe you should look through some posts here and close this thread.

We are very accepting of all sorts of people here including inter-racial couples; racism is NOT a hot topic in the Twin Cities; but by the number of threads posted here lately, it is becoming a sore spot for those of us on this BB.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 46,167 times
My intent isn't to upset anyone. We have heard a lot of talk about the majority of Minnesota being racist. I do apologize that it is a sore spot, but with us planning to have a large family, I want to see how it will affect our children. We genuinely want to move there and just wanted to know. And I have met plenty of Liberals who are racist. In fact my husband's grandmother is. She refuses to see our children because they are biracial, yet she is a Liberal. So that doesn't matter, but since it isn't a hot topic there, we just might move there next year.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2007, 03:48 PM

987 posts, read 3,818,703 times
In my first ECFE class there were three biracial couples out of four couples total. Lebanese/Euro, Euro/Asian, Pakistani/Euro, which means little of course, since everyone brings the baggage of their forefathers to the table.

I think the key is to try to not shrink or run away but to crack the veneer. A lot of times people are just unsure of what to say, or have some apprehension about communicating because they've watched too many soundbites from rap videos or Bollywood movies. Even cashiers at Target, especially older generation, seem apprehensive about talking. Then I start talking and then everything goes back to normal.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:26 PM

102 posts, read 468,111 times
MN is WAY better than CA that whole state except for maybe san diego and san francisco can go away. The pay is above average, housing is considerably less than CA unless your in fresno or something lol. Winter is not as bad as some say it hardly even snows in the TC metro area now....compared to the 70's and 80's. Wish we where living back in Minneapolis now....suburban DC is an awful place but the job market is fantastic.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:25 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I have learned one thing about life and racism(or racial prejudice): Every place is infected with it in one way or another. The thing that makes Minnesota unique is that Minnesota(as far as I know) never had a hard reputation for it. My own father has said that Minnesota is more progressive than GA(where I live now). This is his experience.
No place is completely free of racism and no place is that perfect as to not have it. Even MN. It isn't the worst from what I know and here from others, but it is just coming to the surface now.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 PM

170 posts, read 753,421 times
[quote=sydniesmommy;1154877]. We have been thinking a lot about moving out to Minnesota, but we've heard that there is a lot of racism there. Are there any places in Minnesota where there is very little racism, without it being "ghetto"? QUOTE]

not sure what thats about but the ghetto is generally the most racist part of any city

Old 07-27-2007, 09:48 PM

130 posts, read 527,542 times
Let me just say your not going to find a city, state, ghetto, where its all perfect and everyone is non-racist. There are people of all sorts of different backrounds that live here and are doing just fine! Just have respect for others here and it will be all good!

Old 07-28-2007, 01:44 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydniesmommy View Post
My intent isn't to upset anyone. We have heard a lot of talk about the majority of Minnesota being racist. I do apologize that it is a sore spot, but with us planning to have a large family, I want to see how it will affect our children. We genuinely want to move there and just wanted to know. And I have met plenty of Liberals who are racist. In fact my husband's grandmother is. She refuses to see our children because they are biracial, yet she is a Liberal. So that doesn't matter, but since it isn't a hot topic there, we just might move there next year.

Thanks

I'm sorry if I came across as rude or curt; it's just that in my own experience in the Twin Cities, I'd never paid that much attention to what color anyone was but this BB seems to really make a big deal of it lately.

I know many biracial families, some have been friends of ours for over 30 years. Back in the '70's, it wasn't as common and I did notice it a bit more; but it still wasn't a big deal. Both of my kids have had bi-racial friends and have dated non-whites; the color doesn't matter as much as the Person; if that make any sense. We are all red-blooded humans and the same blood types are found in each of us underneath the color of our skin.

Even though we are an all-white family, the 4 of us have very different skin colors, ranging from very fair pink to almost olive-complexioned. It isn't how we judge each other as whites, why should we judge others by the color of their skin?

I have found that if someone has a chip on their shoulder and seems to throw race and prejudice into every topic and conversation; then I am aware of the differences, but on the whole, it isn't something that I notice. I think that is why the subject is so bothersome to me here: it's a non-issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota