Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:01 PM

85 posts, read 414,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzeith View Post
This state votes democratic because more than half of the 4.5 million people here live in the Metro area. If you look at the voting maps, you see a blue SouthEast corner in an otherwise completely red state.
Well, that's not exactly true. The Northeastern part of the state votes democratic just as strongly as Minneapolis-St. Paul, and the northwestern part of the state sends a lot of democrats to St. Paul. The 3 (of 8) most rural congressional districts all voted for democrats in 2006, and the strongest republican areas are the suburbs. This is sort of beside the point though. The liberal voters in rural or small urban Minnesota may be basing their vote more on economic issues rather than social ones.

I don't think racism is a problem here, but I would agree that the bigger communities would probably be more accepting. I've lived in the Fargo-Moorhead area most of my life, and I don't think there would be any problem here.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 40,519 times
Hun why don't you come to MN yourself to visit and see. I am a mixed race woman living in Mn since 1998 and I have found Mn to be very accepting of interracial relationships. I have never seen so many till I moved here but I guess I did live in a Brooklyn NY neighborhood where you were either Black or hispanic. You can't hide your kids from small minded people you can only raise them right. Good luck and I hope you don't take the opportunity to move to such a great place becuasue of foolish hair say. Reality I am Black, Indian (from India) and Irish. My family is so mixed up and I am sure my mother went through things in her life but they get over it.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:21 PM

24 posts, read 128,746 times
I would like to say that in my opinion, having been born and raised in Northern MN, there are all types of racisim out there. The best example that I can give you is right in my own community. If you don't have a road named after you or you haven't particapted in the traditional Finnish sauna!!! Something must be really wrong with you. I feel that we all deal with some form of this or another. Don't let that discourage you from coming to MN. It's beautiful, the only question you should be asking yourself is should I move where it's really cold???? Just roll with the punches, we all deal with that. I wish you the best of luck, and maybe next time instead of saying "ghetto" say less desireable neighborhoods, so people like the other post doesn't call your attention to that and than call you racist! Good Luck

Old 08-10-2007, 05:50 PM

6 posts, read 41,314 times
I agree with many on this board that there is racism everywhere. I think that you have to learn to deal with tough situations, while also staying safe. And if someone calls you a name or treats you wrong--for any reason--you have to learn how to deal with it and not let negative experiences shape your life and take way from the opportunities and learning that does exist in life.

That being said I was one of the first biracial children born in this small town. I remember hearing the story of Martin Luther King Jr. as a child, and how he was told he could not play with his friend because his skin was black... For me that was the most profound story I had ever heard, because that happened to me everyday and I did not know why. For me, being the victim of racism and hearing negative remarks at first was hurtful but then I decided to turn it around--I became more of an individual, began to have empathy for others & stand up for what I believed in. I knew what it felt like to be alone and outcast--and I decided, at a young age, that there had to be something better for me in life. Something different than what was being forced on me. So I began to really look and question racism. I was an avid reader and I think that really helped--being exposed to new ideas and hearing other stories. I read everything from Maya Angelou to Tolstoy, and being alone with a book gave me more insight than I would have ever experienced in my surroundings.

When I moved to the Twin Cities--I really got an eye for predjudice. As a biracial woman--you get the stares and comments from all sides. There is this attitude that you have to act black or act white and choose a side. I remember children in the lunchroom sat in tables based on color lines. I was considered white while my sister was considered black--and it was all based on a certain way you are supposed to act.

When I had children--I saw even more. My children have a different skin color that me. People not only stare but come up to me and ask questions--usually "Are those your children?" and "What are you anyways?" I had someone accuse me of kidnapping because my children have a different skin color. And guys seem to hit on me because my kids appearance...I can tell that is happening because they will take an interest in my kids, ask racial questions and then begin to flirt with me (I don't get it). I have had people follow me in stores too.

But even though that has happened--I wouldn't change the way I live or try to hide myself or my children. I don't live by the color line. So if I have an experience I try to learn from it. And if something happens that I don't agree with, I don't take it personally. What it comes down to for me--is keeping my focus on what I feel is important; and working to achieve my goals. I am not a person motivated by race or seeking to be like everyone else so I don't let racial comments or experiences stop me from living my life. And I know that as much crap happens there is alot of positive in life too.

It was great hearing from everyone!

Juliet

Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 13,082 times
I will say that I found more racism when I lived in the Grand Rapids area than anywhere else. I haven't seen it living in Apple Valley. My kids' school (Cedar Park) is VERY diverse culturally/racially and I've seen nothing but tolerance of each other's heritage and beliefs there. There's ALWAYS ignorant people, but I see tons less living in the metro than I did on the Iron Range.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,337 times
Default The Truth

Sydniesmommy, u have every reason to be concerned about possible negative reaction to your interracial children...after all this is America, which has been, is now, and always will be a profoundly racist society. Institutionalized racism is tremendous problem facing non-white people and has been well-documented in study after study. Racism is no less damaging just because whites aren't able to be as openly racist as they used to be. And for JenLee to tell u that it irritates her to even hear someone ask about racism should tell u a lot. And one of the most common things that racists then say is that they "just don't see color". Ridiculous...as if recognizing that someone was black would be looking at them in negative light. It's only wrong if one is RACIST. Anyway, Sydniesmommy, keep your head up, and I advise only moving to somewhere that blacks make up at least half the population, because unfortunately, racism is a fact of life in this evil world. Peace.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:10 AM

571 posts, read 2,529,868 times
Very interesting thread. What I'm going to bring up is probably more of an introspective side-topic, but maybe other small-town transplants can relate.

My husband and I are white, originally from Duluth. We moved out west to a larger city where we lived for 5 years but have since returned to northern MN (Grand Rapids area) a few years ago. After living in a place with lots of diversity, moving here was sort of a "reverse" culture shock for us.

The first thing that took some getting used to (aside from our "ethnic" food withdrawal) was just the overwhelming "whiteness" of our new community. Everyone looks the same! While there are SOME people of color here, they're novel enough that I sometimes find myself doing a "double take" when I see a non-white person out in public. I am certainly not trying to stare or be rude, but I think it's just human nature to notice when something/someone is different; kind of like if you see a very beautiful person, a very tall person, etc. (When I'm in the Twin Cities or even Duluth I don't do this--well, ok, when I see a really hot guy I might, ha ha--but as far as skin color goes, it's just not a big deal when everyone isn't so homogeneous.)

So since I DON'T want to make anyone uncomfortable by "looking" at them for no good reason, I sometimes find myself "overcorrecting" when I see a person of color and I avoid eye contact so I don't accidentally "look" too long...but of course THAT'S rude too...and then I'm like, what the hell is wrong with me, am I turning into a HICK?! UGH!

So I guess my point is...when you look different from everyone else (especially in a small town), people may look at you simply because you're a visual novelty and not necessarily because they're racist/ignorant/never seen a non-white person before.

I have other thoughts (both positive and negative) about living here relative to this topic, but since it's late I will save them for another day.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:04 AM

90 posts, read 359,596 times
I've found people living around NE Broadway to be very racist and unaccepting. I was driving through there one time, later at night, and all of the locals were either staring at me with really ugly looks, or actually screaming at me that I "didn't belong there."

I was hoping that racism to that degree would not still exist in this day and age in Minnesota, but it is clearly present.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:46 PM

261 posts, read 621,657 times
Really? I've been to MN once and had a really good experience. I saw gobs of interracial couples as well. Interesting.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:51 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
[quote=sydniesmommy;1156395]My intent isn't to upset anyone. We have heard a lot of talk about the majority of Minnesota being racist.

It is not as racist as other states. However, don't move into a very small town; choose a place where your kids can be with diverse groups. Also be aware that the black middle class is very, very small in Minneapolis-St. Paul - it is not like DC, Atlanta, Chicago. It seems to be a mecca for interracial relationships. You will see more black men with white women than black men with black women. I have lived here over 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota