Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times

Advertisements

Just an observation here. Driving to and from Brookings SD to various places in WI I observe that Minnesotans are really sticklers about going the speed limit compared to South Dakota and Wisconsin. I suppose it doesn't help that speed limits on so many non interstate roads are 55, but that doesn't stop people in WI from going 65 on them.

In WI people are going faster on I-90/94 around the Dells then they do here in South Dakota, many going 80-90. Big groups will start going this speed and the only place I ever see state patrols is after 90 and 94 split as one starts to approach La Crosse. Perhaps if they bothered to pull people over they won't be going 85-90? (which is 20-25 above the limit of 65 by the way with many more twists, turns, and trees to obscure vision) They are usually not going that fast approaching La Crosse.. go figure.. maybe 75 instead.. 10 above. Then they slow down and I find at 75 I pass most everyone in Minnesota (with minnesota plates, WI drivers still pass me) , like people are afraid to even go 5 over. (speed limit 70 on interstate) Then in South Dakota I again get passed because people are going 80-85 or so and I usually like to stick to 78 for gas mileage (speed limit 75) Just an observation here.

I must admit, after getting pulled over for doing 63 in a 55 about 5 miles from the South Dakota border where the limit changes to 65. I'll probably not use rural MN roads much anymore and just stick to the interstate. I know it's the law but it's hard to go that slow on straight flat roads in Western MN after living in South Dakota where the speed limit on state highways is 65. I usually try not to speed but I slipped as my cruise was off due to crossing the buffalo ridge area by Lake Benton where the hills make cruise control irritating. I accelerate to make it up the hill at speed and start to speed cresting the hill and boom. Only a warning though.
How do people drive near the cities? I hear cops are much better at tracking down speeders in Minnesota then in either WI or SD.

The bigger issue then whether it's the law or not, how fast a speed do you think is a safe speed? A speed that keeps drivers attentive or puts them to sleep. I realize society needs rules but the speed thing has always been a debatable one for me in areas where roads are pretty much straight and flat.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-19-2011 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:12 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
The cops in MN are STRICT. I got a ticket for going 35 in a 30.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:31 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,930 times
Yeah, Minnesotans are so SLOW.

It's incredible. If you want to drive slow, great, that's awesome that's fine... But at least GET THE F OVER! It blows my mind how you can get stuck behind someone in the FAST LANE going 70 in a 70 and when you pass them they give you a look like you're crazy. It's like are you retarded? You're going 70 in the fast lane on the interstate. GET OVER! What's even worse are the people that are in the right lane going slower than 70!

Also, people are very weird about 'pinches' such as a slight bend or topography in the road. It seems like they slow waaaay down as if their car is going to roll and blow up if they take a slight curve at 70 mph.

Also, people are freaks when it comes to exit and entrance ramps. The rule is "you hit the freeway at 70 MPH" that's what the entrance ramp is for. Also, the exit ramp is to deaccelerate. You should NOT slow down on the freeway before the ramp, that's what the ramp is for.

So. I just use my horn and my middle finger a lot. I've also had Mt. Dew cans fly out my window onto the windshield/hood of a few cars this past year. Until these idiots start learning how to drive, it's going to be a pain in the rear to drive anywhere by me.

Bottom line: GET OVER if you want to drive the limit. The 'fast' lane isn't some mythical thing. Even the Eagles had a song about it and over 50 million people have a copy of it. So let's get your arses over.

This winter I was on 494 south and was in the far right lane (the slow lane) and was behind some car going 55 (it's a 60 mph zone). So I get real close on their rear to get them to speed up and when I go around the car to pass (get into the fast lane, actually the middle lane) and the lady is giving me the finger as she's on her cell phone. These are the types of people that are driving on our roads in MN.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:18 PM

106 posts, read 373,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

So. I just use my horn and my middle finger a lot. I've also had Mt. Dew cans fly out my window onto the windshield/hood of a few cars this past year...

I get real close on their rear to get them to speed up...
Not sure if you're being completely honest here, but it sounds like you may have a little bit of a road rage problem. I've found good and bad drivers everywhere I've lived. I though NE Ohio were the slowest most obnoxious drivers I've seen.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:59 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronbball View Post
Not sure if you're being completely honest here, but it sounds like you may have a little bit of a road rage problem. I've found good and bad drivers everywhere I've lived. I though NE Ohio were the slowest most obnoxious drivers I've seen.
In Cali, I've seen people pull over and fight on several occasions.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:08 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,992 times
I see this issue more on normal roads than on the interstate. I know that I typically go at least 5 over the speed limit on any road (especially if the road speed limit ends in a "5" like 55mph - dunno why). On the interstate, I rarely encounter people going slower than 70 and frequently see people in the fast lane going 80+mph.

This might have to do with the fact that most of the time when I'm on the interstate, it's going between Duluth and Minneapolis rather than metro highways.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The cops in MN are STRICT. I got a ticket for going 35 in a 30.
Interesting. It's my understanding that cops in GA cannot ticket under 10 mph unless it's in a school zone ... by law. Maybe that helps to explain why folks fly on the interstates around here compared to the Twin Cities.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 AM

127 posts, read 337,571 times
I usually drive "a little" over the speed limit in Minnesota but when I was recently in WI I did drive the speed limit. It seemed they had an over abundance of state patrol cars there and the one time I tried driving 75 in the 65 I was bracketed for 10 miles. Not sure why WI has to have the 65mph vs. 70 or 75 but whatever, I can't afford the speeding ticket. I agree that MN drivers have the annoying habit of lingering in the left lane and not speeding up on the ramps. I however, would not advocate throwing things at other cars. It's a great way to get your ass kicked.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
They are extra slow in the left lane and don't know how to merge properly. Except for me, of course

I usually tailgate the slow left lane drivers for miles on end. Especially when driving from here to Duluth. Once they moved over, I would pass, then drive slow in front of them to see how they liked it. Sometimes I would spray some windshield wiper fluid and hope it would land on their car. Evil, I know.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Interesting. It's my understanding that cops in GA cannot ticket under 10 mph unless it's in a school zone ... by law. Maybe that helps to explain why folks fly on the interstates around here compared to the Twin Cities.
I heard you can ticket in Georgia, but if you fight the charge, then it will be thrown out. Could be because if inaccuracies on the radar gun or something. I'm not exactly sure.

I was once driving 85mph on 285 just to keep up with traffic. Glad the speed limit is 55 on that road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota