Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM

98 posts, read 276,829 times

Advertisements

Hello, Minnesotans! I'm looking at a possible job relocation to the Twin Cities along with other places.

How safe is the northern surburb of Roseville?

Can anyone explain the slight population loss in Roseville?

Are there plenty of restaurants and shopping opportunities nearby?

I like the sound of Roseville because it is smaller plus it's centrally located between Minneapolis and St. Paul. I think you can't go wrong with its location.

By the way, I've heard of "Minnesota Nice." Would I have problems establishing good friendship with co-workers and people from church and perhaps special interest clubs?

Do the Minnesotans really give a helping hand, especially if you have car trouble on the side of the road on a cold day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,068,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
Hello, Minnesotans! I'm looking at a possible job relocation to the Twin Cities along with other places.

I like the sound of Roseville because it is smaller plus it's centrally located between Minneapolis and St. Paul. I think you can't go wrong with its location.

By the way, I've heard of "Minnesota Nice." Would I have problems establishing good friendship with co-workers and people from church and perhaps special interest clubs?

Do the Minnesotans really give a helping hand, especially if you have car trouble on the side of the road on a cold day?
I love Roseville, I know of atleast one person here who lives in Roseville they he/she can help you more then I can if they see this.

As far as helping, I've always had good experiences everywhere all over Minnesota. Not too long ago, few weeks ago, I was at the laundromat. a lot of the regulars there go there once a week(like I do) and usually know each other. There was this older lady, and she was talking with this guy, I'd say he was in his 40s. she couldn't start her car and came in and asked if he had jumper cables, and he was very, very happy to help her. Plus it was downpouring rain outside as well. It's just one experience, but in my humble experience, people are incredibly friendly.

There's also tons of friendly people in the Twin Cities as well. Another experience, When my dad had surgery about a month or two ago at Hennepin County Medical center in downtown Minneapolis(across the street from the metrodome) It's a huge hospital, especially someone like me who lived in a town of around 3000 people most of his life, and every time I got lost or look confused, pretty much every employee, wether it's a nurse or a janitor type person,always asked if I needed help or needed to find something.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 AM

332 posts, read 822,747 times
2619 Brittany Lane, Woodbury, MN 55125 | Listing Information
here is cute one. you would live 1 mile from my brother
I own a home in Woodbury. It is a great city to live in. Lots of good shopping and outdoor activities.
Lake Elmo is great if you can find a home in your price range. It has cheaper taxes as well.
You could get more in the Northern suburbs. If you like the lakes consider Forest Lake or White Bear Lake. Plymouth has a lot of lakes and is near Lake Minnetonka. Not sure if you will find something in your price range though. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:54 PM

687 posts, read 1,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post

The population loss is most likely due to smaller family sizes. Roseville is pretty much built out. There are some new houses being built here and there, but it's mostly replacing existing housing. A slight population loss is pretty common for areas lacking new developments right now, at least in the Twin Cities. In any case, I doubt it's any sign of weakness in the community.

Roseville has a ton of shopping of restaurants. The area around Rosedale Mall (Snelling and 36) is the center of a lot of that.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:48 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
There was an article in the Star Trib about some of the older suburbs and the population declines, much was attributed to an aging population and younger families not moving into the areas. New Brighton was another suburb that was highlighted in this article along with Roseville.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,068,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There was an article in the Star Trib about some of the older suburbs and the population declines, much was attributed to an aging population and younger families not moving into the areas. New Brighton was another suburb that was highlighted in this article along with Roseville.
It's a shame, I like a lot of the smaller, inner suburbs better, especially Roseville and Richfield and Hopkins. Same goes for more outer ones. Out of all the more outer suburbs, I like the smaller-ish/medium sized ones, such as Northfield, Rosemount, and Anoka, the best. I'd probably choose Anoka over Coon Rapids and Rosemount over Apple Valley.

The bigger ones like Maple Grove, Plymouth, and Eden Prairie that have populations of 50k plus I don't care for much. I'm not saying I hate them or that they don't have anything special about them, because they definitely do have some unique things. They're just my least favorite, and it has nothing to do with them being farther from Minneapolis and St. Paul propert. They're also the ones that are growing quite fast, which I understand and understand that it makes sense why those are the 'burbs that are growing. And it makes sense why ones like Roseville are very slowly, but surely, declining in population. Maple Grove surely has room to expand out, whereas Roseville and Richfield, not so much.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 PM

98 posts, read 276,829 times
Thanks for the posts about Roseville!

I know not to expect southern hospitality in Minnesota but I'm glad to hear that Minnesotans are friendly and helpful in their own way.

That's normal for all American cities to lose population to the surburbs. Anyway, I like the way Roseville sounds. It's my ideal city without explosive growth and continuing constructions everywhere. Also, growing population usually means both rising taxes and housing costs.

Again, you can't beat its central location between two major cities especially when it come to jobs in the downtowns.

If the population in Roseville is mostly aging family-oriented city, I can always drive short distance to the cities for dating/single scene.

I look forward to visiting the Twin Cities soon!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:42 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Roseville is fine, it is just a mature fully developed suburb. I wouldn't let a little bit of population loss scare you away from there.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:47 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,660,436 times
I was driving around Minnetonka last night near 101 and Hwy 7. It was quite pretty back there, I must admit. Both my partner and I remarked on that.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:27 PM

305 posts, read 992,462 times
Oh my gosh. Everyone always forgets about Bloomington. Basically a crime free town. Great schools Etc. But a huge town and the largest suburb. Lot's of nice parks and the MOM. Contrary to what a lot of people say Bloomington doesn't have all rich people here but I do live in a really nice area and don't ask me why!!! I'm a small town girl and I like Bloomington for the time I have been here. I want something smaller and I have had great neighbor's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota