Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:40 AM

297 posts, read 841,758 times

Advertisements

Newly single. Mpls is fairly "light" and I live in Minnetonka which is maybe 1-2% Black...I know I will likely have to hit the city to connect with other Black professionals...I just don't know where to go!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:14 AM

76 posts, read 223,744 times
Default Interresting People in General

Would you be interressed in meeting a specific group based on interests? What about character or personalitity. I know that I would get bored hanging out with people who talk about work and try to network all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
Newly single. Mpls is fairly "light" and I live in Minnetonka which is maybe 1-2% Black...I know I will likely have to hit the city to connect with other Black professionals...I just don't know where to go!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:19 AM

I'd say interesting in general. I don't want to talk business all the time. But it seems difficult to meet new people here!

Old 06-13-2007, 05:49 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,042 times
That trend seems to be a Minnesota thing overall. Lots of people in their own little cliques who have already established a circle of friends.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:20 PM

21 posts, read 128,290 times
Do you want to hang out with black professionals?

Starbucks?

Lol, i'm sorry, i don't know

Old 06-14-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Funny :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wiggl3s View Post
Do you want to hang out with black professionals?

Starbucks?

Lol, i'm sorry, i don't know
LOL!!! I NEVER see any black people at Starbucks!

No, seriously...Mpls seems to be quite "clique-ish". As Nick said, people don't seem to go "outside" of their circle and don't like to let people in their circle.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Just a question, if someone posted here saying "where do all the white singles hang out, I want to connect with white singles" everyone would jump down their throat for being racist, so why is it ok to post about meeting black singles? It is my observation that the only people making a big deal about someone being black, white or orange are the minority groups. Personally I could care less what color your skin is, and same goes with pretty much everyone I know. Why not just try to connect with professionals period?

Old 06-14-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Just a question, if someone posted here saying "where do all the white singles hang out, I want to connect with white singles" everyone would jump down their throat for being racist, so why is it ok to post about meeting black singles? It is my observation that the only people making a big deal about someone being black, white or orange are the minority groups. Personally I could care less what color your skin is, and same goes with pretty much everyone I know. Why not just try to connect with professionals period?
Because EVERYWHERE I go I am in contact with white professionals. I hang out with my co-workers (White, Asian, etc) at after hours spots sometimes...I network with former co-workers. What is wrong with wanting to ALSO connect with other Black professionals????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

My goodness. I didn't say I don't want to ever, meet or interact with White people (or any other race for that matter). There's not a large Black presence in MN. There's even LESS Black people in the Minnetonka/Plymouth area where I live and work. Get over it...

Old 06-14-2007, 10:16 AM

Default BTW...there aren't any orange people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

It's easy for a NON minority to say "what's the big deal" because they aren't the minority! I work in an office of 50 people. 2 of us are Black and there is 1 Asian woman. Yes, you feel that. If you worked in an office with 47 Blacks, 1 Asian, and just you and another White person, you'd feel that...

Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 AM

300 posts, read 1,849,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
It's easy for a NON minority to say "what's the big deal" because they aren't the minority! I work in an office of 50 people. 2 of us are Black and there is 1 Asian woman. Yes, you feel that. If you worked in an office with 47 Blacks, 1 Asian, and just you and another White person, you'd feel that...
I agree2blessed2stress as I often find myself in the same position as you. I think the problem is that very few individuals who aren't people of color ever find themselves in the position of being in the minority, so they can't imagine what is is like, which is why they make those comments. From reading similar comments on other threads, I've realized just how much they really don't understand what you're saying. I'm not sure they will ever understand unless they are in the situation, which is highly unlikely. But believe I understand and admire you for trying to explain it as you have done in these posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul