Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:31 AM

297 posts, read 842,367 times

Advertisements

thank you nooneknowsmyname...

I'm not being argumentative...I just see/hear this same argument so often and it's like...if you were the minority EVERY day, EVERY where you go, not that one time you went to XYZ, you'd know what I'm saying. But since you are never the minority...no it doesn't make any sense to you.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:31 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,765,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Just a question, if someone posted here saying "where do all the white singles hang out, I want to connect with white singles" everyone would jump down their throat for being racist, so why is it ok to post about meeting black singles? It is my observation that the only people making a big deal about someone being black, white or orange are the minority groups. Personally I could care less what color your skin is, and same goes with pretty much everyone I know. Why not just try to connect with professionals period?

I didnt get the tone about "making a big deal about it" from the original poster. So what...if she wants to connect with other black people, so be it. As much as we would like to think there is no racial divide, and even though many of us may have a diverse group of friends...overall, if you're white, most of your friends tend to be white, if you're black, most friends are black, and so on and so forth. That has nothing to do with separation or segregation of races either...its just generally how it works.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:43 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,318,980 times
I just stumbled onto this thread by sheer accident, as I was scrolling down the state list toward Wisconsin.... Try calling the local chapter of the NAACP to get referrals on local black professional networking and social groups. Alternatively, contact the U of Minnesota groups (Black Student Union, African American Alliance, and other diversity/ethnic groups/offices) to find out about professional organizations, local magazines, websites, etc. of particular interest to black people. If U of Minnesota graduates any black people at all (and it does), and if some of those people stay around to work in the area (and some do), someone around there will have the inside story. Also check webpages on the U of Minnesota site. Even if only 1%-2% of the Mpls population is black, that's still a sizable number of people since the population is over 3 million.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,385,824 times
Quote:
Personally I could care less what color your skin is, and same goes with pretty much everyone I know.
Oh yea? How many blacks are members at your golf country club?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Oh yea? How many blacks are members at your golf country club?
We don't belong to a "country club" but we do have a membership at a public golf course. I have no idea how many black are members.

2blessed--I guess if I worked in an office of all blacks it wouldn't matter one way or the other to me. This is the whole point I am trying to make--what difference does it make? Are we all not PEOPLE first?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:29 AM

937 posts, read 2,835,371 times
Quote:
We don't belong to a "country club" but we do have a membership at a public golf course. I have no idea how many black are members.

2blessed--I guess if I worked in an office of all blacks it wouldn't matter one way or the other to me. This is the whole point I am trying to make--what difference does it make? Are we all not PEOPLE first?
Well said Just because they're white doesn't mean you can't talk to them! America is going to be one big melting pot....mix in, they wont bite.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:48 AM

786 posts, read 4,734,740 times
America is going to be one big melting pot....mix in, they wont bite.
===================
Wrong!! America is no longer a melting pot but now that there are so many minorities, each ethnic group can just associate with people from their own race without problems. There is few people mixing anymore, no melting, just freezing everyone out that is not part of their race/culture.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:16 AM

297 posts, read 842,367 times
Quote:

I didn't say it MATTERS, I said you feel it. We are People and whether you like to admit or not PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT . That's the reality. Racism is still very much an issue in America. The non-minority want so bad to PROVE they AREN'T racist. As soon as a Black/Asian/Hispanic person makes a comment that relates to their race...call the calvary. "Why should it matter" ::insert whiny voice:: "Aren't we all the same??". Give me a break. Please.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:41 PM

937 posts, read 2,835,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
I didn't say it MATTERS, I said you feel it. We are People and whether you like to admit or not PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT . That's the reality. Racism is still very much an issue in America. The non-minority want so bad to PROVE they AREN'T racist. As soon as a Black/Asian/Hispanic person makes a comment that relates to their race...call the calvary. "Why should it matter" ::insert whiny voice:: "Aren't we all the same??". Give me a break. Please.
Call the calvary? Insert whiny voice? Yea, I guess all white people are afraid of blacks and other minorities. You want to be equal....yet you want to go find black only clubs, etc. Which is it? Your true feelings are seeping out, bud.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:43 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,956 times
No, white people aren't racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul