Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:58 PM

250 posts, read 994,316 times

Advertisements

2Blessed,

As a caucasian female, I would absolutely never correlate you wanting to hang out with black professionals as a racist (anti-white) statement. Perhaps those on this board who would equate your comment to a white person saying "where are all the white people at" don't understand that it is a cultural issue. And as a rule, comments like that from a white people have been made throughout the centuries of this country and done so in a racist way. People fail to understand that historically, black people in this country have been exploited and there is nothing wrong with finding support, friendship, sharing beliefs, interests, values and so on with people you identify with as a race. Moreover, white people have not been treated this way in our country or really throughout the world. What you said isn't much different than saying "Is there a Chinese group I could join" or "I am hosting an Italian Supper Club." It's a cultural diversity issue and I find it insulting that anyone would equate your question with being anti-white. That sounds SO simple minded.

I hope you find more understanding people in Minneapolis.

Sarah

Old 05-15-2008, 04:02 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,121,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think some whites here are being disingenuous brats.
And some blacks are playing the race card, as usual.

Quote:
Whites have always had the “privilege” in American society and the idea that black folks can do things that they cannot do simply is an affront to white privilege.
That's not fact. It's an opinion. Opinions are not facts.

Quote:
There is no way in the world that a white person, in a state that is 96% white, need to get on the internet and attempt to network with white people. So in such a context of white abundance, what such a post by whites would mean is that they do not want to be bothered with non white people. It’s an exclusivity issue because obviously in a 96% white state….white folks are not hard to find. So it would really NOT be about what they were seeking…..but what they are attempting to avoid or filter out.
You assume way too much. Just because you think that's what white people are thinking and doing doesn't mean that's true at all. THIS is being a disingenuous brat.

The first post responding to this whole issue had nothing against the Original Poster asking her question. It was merely pointing out that there IS a double standard. A white person asking the same question would have appeared as racist. White people are capable of noticing things like that, too, you know.

I'm frankly very sick and tired of blacks playing the race card and screaming that the white man is keeping them down. That's a lie, just like Minnesota being 96% white is a lie. Making up your own false statistics and false facts doesn't make them true.

The OP was asking where to find black folk to hang out with. How can that not be what she was looking to exclude or leave out? So, if a white person asks that same question, they're asking in a negative way. But, a black person can ask and they're perfectly legitimate in it? Again, that's a double standard -- and racist!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,121,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Maske View Post
2Blessed,

As a caucasian female, I would absolutely never correlate you wanting to hang out with black professionals as a racist (anti-white) statement.
Nobody said it was. The person who responded was merely recognizing the fact that if a white person asked the same question that THEY would be considered racist. It was a matter of simply recognizing a fact. Nobody occused the OP of being racist or asking a racist question. Nobody. So, you're offended by something that nobody really did because other people got upset by reading into someone else's words.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:10 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,741,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
And some blacks are playing the race card, as usual. [/font]

That's not fact. It's an opinion. Opinions are not facts.

You assume way too much. Just because you think that's what white people are thinking and doing doesn't mean that's true at all. THIS is being a disingenuous brat.

The first post responding to this whole issue had nothing against the Original Poster asking her question. It was merely pointing out that there IS a double standard. A white person asking the same question would have appeared as racist. White people are capable of noticing things like that, too, you know.

I'm frankly very sick and tired of blacks playing the race card and screaming that the white man is keeping them down. That's a lie, just like Minnesota being 96% white is a lie. Making up your own false statistics and false facts doesn't make them true.

The OP was asking where to find black folk to hang out with. How can that not be what she was looking to exclude or leave out? So, if a white person asks that same question, they're asking in a negative way. But, a black person can ask and they're perfectly legitimate in it? Again, that's a double standard -- and racist!

It was a double standard that from 1609 to 1863 blacks were enslaved in America and whites were not. It was a double standard that from 1864 – 1964 blacks were legally kept as second class citizens relative to whites, via laws. It is hence a reverberating double standard today, born from past afore mention double standards, that black poverty is 3 times the rate of white poverty, black unemployment 2 ½ times that of white unemployment, black wealth over 10 times less than whites…ect….ect. So these little pet peeves of white folks, complaining about double standards inflicted upon them, from the past behavior of white folks, are the ranting of brats. Its like the rich girl who gets her Porsche taken away by her daddy who then complains about it to a homeless person. It just don't compare sister! Your issues don't rank. Moreover, if past white folks had not did what they did.....it would not be your issue today. Thus, the present nemisis of white folks......is the past behavior of white folks. Don't blame black folk.

Why can’t whites use the “N” word when blacks can? Why can black people have a BET and white people cannot have WET (by the way…that would be ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX ect) . Why can black people look to network and meet up with black people and white people cannot do it without being called racist…..yadda….yaddda….blah…..blah……why is daddy taking away our Porsche. Like I said…..brats!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:29 PM

6,736 posts, read 6,773,731 times
Freedom of choice.

I used to date a black girl, and we found that very few bars in DC, where there are plenty of black people, had large amounts of the other race. There were black places where I'd be one of a handful of whites, and white places where she'd be the only A-A person, also these places also attracted a lot of Asians and the Euro-crowd, but virtually all the blacks there were African, and not African-American.

Can't say it's racist, because we were an interracial couple that never got stares or had any problems, but there is a natural segregation that people on both sides seem to be choosing. Either way, you can't force the issue, better to just let people do what they want, and not rant about their personal decisions.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:34 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,247,717 times
Quote:
…..yadda….yaddda….blah…..blah……why is daddy taking away our Porsche. Like I said…..brats!
Yeah, I hate it when my dad takes away the Porsche that he gave me. All of my other white friends hate it when their fathers take their Porsches away also. It is still really cool that all white people get a Porsche for their 16th birthday now though.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:15 AM

418 posts, read 1,283,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Maske View Post
2Blessed,

As a caucasian female, I would absolutely never correlate you wanting to hang out with black professionals as a racist (anti-white) statement. Perhaps those on this board who would equate your comment to a white person saying "where are all the white people at" don't understand that it is a cultural issue. And as a rule, comments like that from a white people have been made throughout the centuries of this country and done so in a racist way. People fail to understand that historically, black people in this country have been exploited and there is nothing wrong with finding support, friendship, sharing beliefs, interests, values and so on with people you identify with as a race. Moreover, white people have not been treated this way in our country or really throughout the world. What you said isn't much different than saying "Is there a Chinese group I could join" or "I am hosting an Italian Supper Club." It's a cultural diversity issue and I find it insulting that anyone would equate your question with being anti-white. That sounds SO simple minded.

I hope you find more understanding people in Minneapolis.

Sarah
Someone needs some education here.

First let me say, I found nothing wrong with the OP. When i was in Finland I was happy to be around Americans, my good friend from Taiwan moved from Kansas City to LA just to be around more asians (she loves white people, and prefers to date them even but wanted to be around more asians like herself), and if I was in a neighborhood that was majority of another race, i'd probably want to know where I could find at least a few white people to hang out with. Then again i've worked jobs where i'm the only white person there and I really didn't care. I hang with a pretty diverse group of people and live in the middle of the city (KC).

But please do not speak as if you think white people just happened to be privileged throughout the world. A simple history lesson will show white people have been enslaved in the past by their own and other races. In Asian countries while the majority of people are very nice, there is racism towards white people and we are looked down upon by some (generalization but I am speaking specifically of experiences in China and Japan). If you want to take a quick trip to Miami you will see the Cuban majority and Haitians do not care much for anyone that isn't their own.

Historically, Asians and Native Americans in this country have been exploited too, and so were many Irish and Germans when they first came here. In fact I think there could be a detailed discussion over who had it worse (Native Americans, or Africans). Native Americans were after all victims of genocide... where as free blacks in the south happened to own slaves, and many who were brought to the US were slaves back in Africa already and sold by their own people.

People who are the minority, no matter what location or race... usually have it a bit more difficult. My girlfriend went to an all black school, and saw racism against white people daily. Oddly enough at an all white school I think minorities are less likely to be victims of racism, because most people are OVERLY sensitive and afraid of saying the slightest thing wrong.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:39 AM

418 posts, read 1,283,268 times
Quote:
It was a double standard that from 1609 to 1863 blacks were enslaved in America and whites were not. It was a double standard that from 1864 – 1964 blacks were legally kept as second class citizens relative to whites, via laws. It is hence a reverberating double standard today, born from past afore mention double standards, that black poverty is 3 times the rate of white poverty, black unemployment 2 ½ times that of white unemployment, black wealth over 10 times less than whites…ect….ect. So these little pet peeves of white folks, complaining about double standards inflicted upon them, from the past behavior of white folks, are the ranting of brats. Its like the rich girl who gets her Porsche taken away by her daddy who then complains about it to a homeless person. It just don't compare sister! Your issues don't rank. Moreover, if past white folks had not did what they did.....it would not be your issue today. Thus, the present nemisis of white folks......is the past behavior of white folks. Don't blame black folk.

Why can’t whites use the “N” word when blacks can? Why can black people have a BET and white people cannot have WET (by the way…that would be ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX ect) . Why can black people look to network and meet up with black people and white people cannot do it without being called racist…..yadda….yaddda….blah…..blah……w hy is daddy taking away our Porsche. Like I said…..brats!
Blacks were enslaved in Africa, by other blacks, then sold to white people... who at the time didn't happen to have slaves.

Read up:

African slave trade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could flip your statement just as easily and say it wouldn't be this way today if it wasn't for past BLACK folk doing what they did to their own people. You know what's really funny though? Take a look at the state of the countries in Africa, as Chino XL said "yeah ni**az talk about it but they don't really wanna go there"

My sister in law was born in Kenya, she doesn't ever want to go back.

And please, i'm not saying that the past has nothing to do with the current state of black people in US society... but it would be flawed to say it has everything to do with it. Language is a big part of it too.... I work in a pretty decent job, of the 30 people in my department 10 of them are black and not a single one speaks ebonics, at least not at work. Some people may disagree with that or call it racially insensitive to say.... but at least Bill Cosby has my back.

Bill Cosby - Wikiquote

"I can say what I want to. It's freedom of speech, ain't it?. We've got to take the neighborhood back. We've got to go in there. Just forget telling your child to go to the Peace Corps. It's right around the corner. It's standing on the corner. It can't speak English. It doesn't want to speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk. "Why you ain't where you is go." I don't know who these people are. And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. Then I heard the father talk. This is all in the house. You used to talk a certain way on the corner and you got into the house and switched to English. Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't land a plane with "why you ain't…". You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. There is no Bible that has that kind of language. Where did these people get the idea that they're moving ahead on this? Well, they know they're not, they're just hanging out in the same place, five or six generations sitting in the projects when you're just supposed to stay there long enough to get a job and move out."

When the majority of crime and murder done by black people is committed against black people..... black people need to stop looking at white people as the source of problems and pick up a mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul