Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 34,433 times

Advertisements

Its funny how some one here is unfairly judging somalis , any ways
I would like to post what some swedish guy wrote about somalis in minneapolis.
It seems Europeans know somalis better than some minnesotans do. You can read what swedish wrote about somalis in minneapolis below .

For Immigrants, Life in America Far Outstrips Sweden and Europe

Referring to themselves as 'flies under glass,' immigrants that move to Sweden find it almost impossible to get a foothold. But according to this op-ed article from Sweden's Sydsvenskan Dagbladet newspaper, those that find themselves in the U.S. are far better off, and deeply appreciate what America has to offer.

Column written by Per T. Ohlsson

Translated By Carl Bergquist

February 5, 2006
Toward the end of last year – following the riots in France's immigrant-populated suburbs - something happened: discussions about Europe's "social model" grew quiet, very quiet.
Just a few months earlier, when Hurricane Katrina had struck New Orleans, European media and politicians were wallowing in schadenfreude (taking pleasure in the misfortune of others). The U.S. was called a "developing country," unable to protect its own citizens, and thus a world away from a Europe of solidarity and compassion.

mod cut

Last edited by golfgal; 09-05-2008 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: copyright story, please post link, not entire story

Old 09-06-2008, 10:34 AM

394 posts, read 1,518,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
How do they afford college over here? Can you answer that?? I'm DYING to know.
Yeah man I dont get it.
These people live in nice homes, go to school, and dont work
I work my ass off 50 hrs a week, live in a crap college house, and go to school, and i have to pay 12,000$ /yr in tuition. I know those Somalis arent paying for school, housing, or working 50 hrs a week at that. Funny thing is, is that I was born in the USA.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM

9 posts, read 34,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
Yeah man I dont get it.
These people live in nice homes, go to school, and dont work
I work my ass off 50 hrs a week, live in a crap college house, and go to school, and i have to pay 12,000$ /yr in tuition. I know those Somalis arent paying for school, housing, or working 50 hrs a week at that. Funny
thing is, is that I was born in the USA.

Oh, here comes the predictable "whining" wind-up.

So you saying Every single somali in whole of minnesota does not work ?Aren`t you ?
I know you really want to believe this, but it's not true.Unfortunately, your entire posts about somalis are one sided, and it looks like you got some thing against somalis as whole.

Frankly,your reasons are out of touch with the facts on ground. It's obvious in everything you say.
Well , Take me for example , i work my ass of , i work two jobs
and i am paying tax for the state ,I do not take no single penny from the state and to your astonishment/amazement I AM SOMALI.
And let me tell that most somalis work hard .
I don`t know where do you live , but if you go around minneapolis you would see somali grocery stores, malls, and restaurants ,
and somali workers are in every worksite and retail stores.

In the End ..If you would like to actually address my arguments and present a coherent argument as to why you believe that every single somali is jobless(or unwilling to work) and takes sate handouts, I welcome it, but otherwise, I'm not interested in a flame war.

Last edited by City_boy1; 09-06-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
How do they afford college over here? Can you answer that?? I'm DYING to know.
Same way poor Asian families do it.

Why don't you ask them if you're so dying to know. Don't be afraid. They're people too just like you and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul