Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 AM

18 posts, read 120,462 times

Advertisements

I have looked around (and yes there is an older thread here about it too), but I am going out Saturday night (alone this time unfortunately) and I may be a little out of my element, but i'd really love to have a good shot of meeting someone, even if it's just for a wild night (yeah, i'm young and in my early 20's, albeit out of touch, so that's kind of what i'm looking for)

I was curious, people always say "just go to the bar if you want to hookup with a single girl, it's easy"....yeah, I dunno, maybe not the bars I've been to in town, where they are generally low key and people are often drinking with someone else, not just hanging around alone waiting to be approached.

I suppose the best spots might be where there's loud music and even people that go in groups aren't necesarily in a group or table tucked away somewhere chatting.

So, what are the best places in town for that kind of atmosphere? where even being by yourself doesn't really alter the situation, especially when approaching someone (since at that point it comes down to body language and some eye contact, not an akward verbal approach at a quiet low key bar).

P.S. Don't say Barfly (went a couple times never been a big fan of that place).

Old 01-10-2009, 07:22 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,061 times
downtown on block E as they call it. It's right by the Target center. Tons of clubs that mostly young people fly to. The music is really loud though so it might be hard to talk...but for meeting young women your age block E. If you walk around they are always giving away free cover charges so look for them. Have fun!!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Really, Block E? I would have never have thought it. I would have figured somewhere that was a little closer to uptown or something.

People always seem to talk so negatively of Block E. Then again the kind of places I'd probably like to hit up tonight (and meet a cute girl to hookup with) is often described as a "meat market" which doesn't seem construable as a positive descriptor in most cases.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
I wonder what kind of places there are for the nerdy types to hookup.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 PM

109 posts, read 307,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I wonder what kind of places there are for the nerdy types to hookup.
There's a chuck e cheese in st paul

Also, a place called Chatterbox, in highland park. It's like a bar but they have nintendos hooked up for you to play on.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krillbee View Post
There's a chuck e cheese in st paul

Also, a place called Chatterbox, in highland park. It's like a bar but they have nintendos hooked up for you to play on.
I don't know about Chuck E Cheese. I would think children hang out there.

Now I do like Nintendo. As for places for the nerdy guy to meet women, there is kind of a wonder there.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
downtown on block E as they call it. It's right by the Target center. Tons of clubs that mostly young people fly to. The music is really loud though so it might be hard to talk...but for meeting young women your age block E. If you walk around they are always giving away free cover charges so look for them. Have fun!!!!
I'd have to agree that it's pretty hoppin along Hennepin and 1st in the Block E area. I must say though that it takes the right touch to pickup a woman from one of these places. Generally people who go to this area dress nice, throw a lot of money around (clubbing in downtown isnt cheap), and there's a lot more men around here lookin for a hookup than women (there's lots of other guys with the exact same idea that you have). Women typically go with their girlfriends to dance, but not necessarily to hookup. Also, the ratio of men is higher at most bars. So, competition is cut-throat, and the pickins are slim.

Sometimes, it's good to find a more laid back bar/club venue. Tonight I'm headed out to this place called "Moose Country" in Mendota Heights. Yeah, it's technically in the suburbs, but it can be a pretty good time, and there isn't quite the same "stuck up" factor that you'd encounter among the women downtown. Just people dancing, drinking, and laughing at a country-style bar that probably plays more hip/hop than country.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't know about Chuck E Cheese. I would think children hang out there.

Now I do like Nintendo. As for places for the nerdy guy to meet women, there is kind of a wonder there.
LOL, I was kidding about the chuck e cheese part. I was just thinking along the theme of "games". Speaking of which, "game works", an adult arcade, is also in the block E area, but doesnt quite have the nerd vibe.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:08 AM

Well I just got back, and yeah I went downtown and just gave it a shot. I didnt gend up going to block E because I really couldn't reconcile with that, but I did end up at Drink (which yes I have been to before, and wasn't particularily fond of in the past).

honestly, I had an alright time, all things considered.

Yes, there were some bad elements, like girls who seemed more interested in dancing with other girls the whole night. And, my least favorite, douchebaggy men who would constantly tap me on the shoulder and ask me to "back off their girl" (which would normally be fine, except it seems like far too many men prefer to just let their girl run wild and look completely single and available, leading to of course a confrontation. Look sharp and stop seeking oppurtunities to be a dick guys. This crap happened to me like 5 times tonight, and it gets a little tiresome and emasculating after a while since my best comeback is to scratch the side of my head with my middle finger as I walk away).

So yeah, I had a good time actually, I guess I just either need to find a similar place with a slightly better crowd (maybe like this "Moose Country"), or just go again and hope I get a little luckier with what people show up.

But I do like the idea of relying more on body language and drunkenness (at my age anyway) to try and attract someone for a night of fun. Honestly, I had an "offer", it just was with the one girl I really WOULDNT want to hook up with (considering my situation such a girl would be rare, but wow, I really had to turn that down). I think my next free saturday I might just go back and give it another shot (again, unless someone has a better spot than Drink, maybe with more single and interested girls).

Old 01-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk13 View Post
Well I just got back, and yeah I went downtown and just gave it a shot. I didnt gend up going to block E because I really couldn't reconcile with that, but I did end up at Drink (which yes I have been to before, and wasn't particularily fond of in the past).

honestly, I had an alright time, all things considered.

Yes, there were some bad elements, like girls who seemed more interested in dancing with other girls the whole night. And, my least favorite, douchebaggy men who would constantly tap me on the shoulder and ask me to "back off their girl" (which would normally be fine, except it seems like far too many men prefer to just let their girl run wild and look completely single and available, leading to of course a confrontation. Look sharp and stop seeking oppurtunities to be a dick guys. This crap happened to me like 5 times tonight, and it gets a little tiresome and emasculating after a while since my best comeback is to scratch the side of my head with my middle finger as I walk away).

So yeah, I had a good time actually, I guess I just either need to find a similar place with a slightly better crowd (maybe like this "Moose Country"), or just go again and hope I get a little luckier with what people show up.

But I do like the idea of relying more on body language and drunkenness (at my age anyway) to try and attract someone for a night of fun. Honestly, I had an "offer", it just was with the one girl I really WOULDNT want to hook up with (considering my situation such a girl would be rare, but wow, I really had to turn that down). I think my next free saturday I might just go back and give it another shot (again, unless someone has a better spot than Drink, maybe with more single and interested girls).
What a night!

I have had some weird experiences with parties. A restaurant was throwing a party filled with free wings, free beer, and free Red Bull. There were also women handing out Jack Daniels and shots. Beer pong was being played at the restaurant too. I was there for the free wings and Red Bull. I am kind of a lightweight and even one beer could have made me drunk that night, so I stayed from it. Strangely enough, a drunk woman was trying to flirt with me. Before anyone tries to hint at my "immaturity", please understand I don't normally go to such parties where I don't know anyone, so for me to have a drunk woman to flirt with me was kind of disturbing. I was afraid to not talk to her because I was very afraid of upsetting a drunk person, so I decided to talk. She seemed amazed by my rather "disciplined" disposition at the party, being the only one not drinking or smoking, and by the fact that I was the most intellectual. Once I told her Jesus was my biggest reason for trying to stay sober, she left suddenly. She did admit she had a boyfriend. I became rather scared when I found this out.

For some reason, parties involving drinking games and a plume of cigarette smoke don't seem to be right for me. I don't have a problem with having a glass of beer or wine, but I was just freaked out that night.

I am open to sports bars, but they aren't for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul