Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 AM

18 posts, read 120,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I see that alot in many places.
yeah well that's because it happens in a lot of places. My original goal (which at this point is probably relatively futile) was to find a place that had the most ideal ratio for single guys, if you read my experience at Drink when i tried it last month, there was a similar issue (that or guys with girl friends on a relatively "long" leash).

Unfortunately so far if there is a place that is more ideal then it is a well kept secret (and probably should be, otherwise it would probably no longer be a good spot to hit up ).

Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 65,324 times
It all depends on what kind of girl you're looking to take home. Are you looking for 8's and higher? Or do you settle for 5 - 6 range and hope for the 8's and higher?

If you're open for 5 - 6 range I suggest Park Tavern. I used to work with a guy that swore you were guaranteed to bring a girl home just by showing up to that bar. Of course, they might be a little older than you but it's an easy place. I've never tried it, but I've heard similar reports from others.

Neighboorhood places are decent for striking up conversations. Watch out for a place that's too local though, as everyone will know eachother and you'll be the odd fish out looking like a stooge talking to every girl in the joint. Blondies out in Brooklyn Park is well known as a pick up spot, of course you have to worry about getting shot while you're doing it.

I would suggest switching tactics from prime bars downtown and the like and try some more outward bars (St. Paul maybe?) and places like TGIF.

A wingman definately helps. Especially if you find someone that has experience picking up women. You'd be amazed at how much easier it is to get a good flow going when you're with someone who knows how to break that awkward initial ice. Of course, just going with a good friend on a "**** hunt" is always a lot of fun too - even though it seldom amounts to anything.

It's funny you guys mention the Chatterbox. My uncle owns those restaurants (there are 3). We often have our family holiday meals there. I had my grad dinner there, and my family goes a few times a month for some free chow. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure that place would NOT work as a pick up place for myself.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 65,324 times
There's a wonderful bar up Grand Avenue in St. Paul. I went there once and it had an even ratio of guy/girl. I've heard it's known to have receptive females. I struck up a good conversation with a women there the one time I went. The problem is for the life of me I can't think of the name of it. It's easy to find - up Grand Avenue from Snelling (toward downtown St. Paul). You'll pass other good bars you can try as well, but this one is on the left side and has a little patio outside with one of those hanging flower/garden deals going on that is made out of wood. I'll try to look up the name of the bar.

However, the area up Grand avenue is great for a bit smaller places but active nightlife. It's a college area, but it's all the private colleges so it's not as crazy as dinkytown or swanky as uptown. There are at least 4 bars in that area that are all worth checking out.

As crazy as it sounds Applebees in collegetown is a good place. I've had many times that I've had good "eye exchanges" with girls. The last time I was there the girl in the booth opposite me was talking with her friend about how she was going out of town the next day and it was her last chance to get laid. We exchanged numerous glances, and as she was leaving she went out of her way to say "bye" to me. The problem was at that time in my life I was too chicken to do anything about all this. Go with a friend (restaurant obviously don't go alone here), and just see what there is. Worst case scenario you get an ok meal out of it.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:43 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Great title -- very blunt!

Well with any person/any bar, it's like my father told me: "You can ask 100 girls and get rejected 99 times" or you can ask no one and never be rejected". It's SO true! My friends (as it turns out -- after being away for college for a while) literally just throw caution to the wind and come home with someone any time they want, and if not, they will next time. They aren't like deuschbag pretty boys either! In my experience, I connected really easily at Independent, but that's because they knew someone I knew. If I were single again I'd probably hit anywhere with cheap drinks and dancing if you wanted one-shot thing. Otherwise, for a relationship I'd suggest more intimate settings where you can actually hear someone, like a house party. That's how I met my wife!

Old 03-31-2010, 12:35 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk13 View Post
I have looked around (and yes there is an older thread here about it too), but I am going out Saturday night (alone this time unfortunately) and I may be a little out of my element, but i'd really love to have a good shot of meeting someone, even if it's just for a wild night (yeah, i'm young and in my early 20's, albeit out of touch, so that's kind of what i'm looking for)

I was curious, people always say "just go to the bar if you want to hookup with a single girl, it's easy"....yeah, I dunno, maybe not the bars I've been to in town, where they are generally low key and people are often drinking with someone else, not just hanging around alone waiting to be approached.

I suppose the best spots might be where there's loud music and even people that go in groups aren't necesarily in a group or table tucked away somewhere chatting.

So, what are the best places in town for that kind of atmosphere? where even being by yourself doesn't really alter the situation, especially when approaching someone (since at that point it comes down to body language and some eye contact, not an akward verbal approach at a quiet low key bar).

P.S. Don't say Barfly (went a couple times never been a big fan of that place).
Good luck meeting new people man, it's Minnesota, they're all still friends with the people they went to high school with.

The scene and environment you're looking for is in another city. Try a larger area: Chicago, LA, NY, Boston, Phoenix...

Somewhere that would have a lot of transplants from all over the country. It's easier to meet new people who are also looking to meet new people.

Even if you go out and meet a new group of peopel at a bar one night, you'll just be the flavor of the week for that one night, you might exchange numbers with a group of people but they'll never call you, because you're not in the circle already, you are just that guy they met at the bar that one time.

P.S. For picking up girls for one night, Mpls isn't as "slutty" as other places, most girls are pretty family oriented and want to get married and have a family relatively soon. Getting wasted on weekends and going home with random dudes doesn't set themselves up well for that. However I'm somewhat confused, one of you says you want to pickup randoms at bars, and others are saying they wouldn't go home with a girl cuz she's probably done that before. Not sure what you guys are looking for exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul