Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:03 PM

20 posts, read 161,896 times

Advertisements

I've been wondering if there is a bad part of St. Paul because I am going on a trip to the city but I know nothing about it. Someone please help me out here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 06:35 AM

157 posts, read 716,052 times
From all news reports, it's around the Capitol area. Used to be Selby/Dale was the pits. That's all been gentrified. Now it's the areas pushed to the south of there. My opinion is, if you want a nice neighborhood, then go to the area around the State Fair Grounds. Sorry that I can't tell you what housing sells for there. But it is a nice area. UofM professors live farther west of there near the UofM St. Paul campus.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:07 PM

21 posts, read 128,249 times
ummm

its all pretty much ghetto where the 2 meet

Old 03-07-2007, 12:34 PM

88 posts, read 726,109 times
east st paul has alot of asian gangs otherwise. st paul and minneapolis are just like everything other city...its outskirts are going to be the worst areas to live in...

Old 03-09-2007, 04:50 PM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
As far as ghettos are concerned; neither of the Twin Cities has "ghettos" like out East or L.A.

The area around the Capital isn't a ghetto; there is public housing about 1/2 -1 mile behind the Capital building but there is a hill and other physical "barriers" there and it isn't a problem. There is a large hospital about 2 blocks from the capital and I've walked in that area after dark without problems.

East St.Paul (which is really SOUTH of St.Paul proper but on the other side of the Mississippi River, hence the name) does have more gang activity than other areas of St. Paul.

University Avenue From Snelling Ave. to Rice Street has been in transition for a while (I believe this poorer area of town is called "Frogtown") and has a lot of multi-cultural small stores and restaurants. I've been there shopping and at restaurants during the day and early evening; I have no idea what it's like at night (it doesn't really have any entertainment that would attract people to go there at night). However, there was some sort of gang activity in that area just the other night according to the St. Paul paper.

St. Paul and Minneapolis both have very distinct personalities. To me, St. Paul is a bit "stodgier" that MPLS; but I think that that is also part of its' charm.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 49,129 times
the east side has the most crime but St Paul doesnt really get that ghetto.

"University Avenue From Snelling Ave. to Rice Street has been in transition for a while (I believe this poorer area of town is called "Frogtown") and has a lot of multi-cultural small stores and restaurants. I've been there shopping and at restaurants during the day and early evening; I have no idea what it's like at night (it doesn't really have any entertainment that would attract people to go there at night). However, there was some sort of gang activity in that area just the other night according to the St. Paul paper."

That's Midway or frogtown depending on what part of university you're on. it's real diverse, but not dangerous. there's no danger in walking down the street, other than getting asked for 50 cents by every third person you walk past. its real cool at night because like you said there aren't any attractions out there. the side streets off of university are little sketchy at night but like i said nothing dangerous. its busiest during the day because it's right on the 16 bus route so people are commuting to downtown st paul/ and mpls.

you'll be fine wherever you go in st. paul. im just not sure how many tourist attractions there are or how great of a trip itll be if you don't know anybody up here.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 25,515 times
Depends where you go and when. Lately the EastSide and Selbyside Gangs have been at It. The areas of East Third and Selby Ave are going to be hot zones. Payne Avenue and Rice Street can be bad too.

It all really depends on time and place.If your driving through in the middle of the day (especially in the winter) your probably going to be fine. Summer can be bad due to the fact most of the little thugs are outta school and hanging on street corners(payne avenue especially).

Down town is mostly a drug spot for gangs i believe there is a bus stop on 5th??? that is known for that.

The west side (which is actually the south side< yes im correcting that other person) Is a very latino area and the gangs are the same.

But like they all said there really isnt anything to do in the rougher areas. So i doubt you will find you self there. Just be smart and don't put your self in dumb situations.

Alot of the violence is directed at youth vrs youth and gangmember vrs gangmember rather then innocent bystanders. it's alot better then Minneapolis in that respect.

But to say saint Paul is a nice safe place would be a lie, And a vast majority of areas could be deemed "ghetto". But you have no business being there anyways so you'll be fine.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:34 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
St. Paul is blue collar, with "rough spots" spread all over mostly...ghettos (large, concentrated poverty) are in Minneapolis.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 40,965 times
No area in the Twin Cities are Ghetto. Sure, there are suspicious people everywhere in every city, but as far a a true run down, ghetto "scary" place to be. There is none. I've lived here my whole life, and been to many cities, such as Detroit, Philly, LA.. ect...
Mpls is a cakewalk compared to Detroit.

Saint Paul is a real nice city, quite clean, and safe. People need not to give The "612" or "651" a bad rep, because there is nothing to "REP"

Go Twins!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:19 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
What an asanine thing to say. Of course we're not Philly or Detroit but to deny that there are very sketchy and dangerous areas of the city is some weird sort of gloating on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul