Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 AM

182 posts, read 297,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
And yet you compare little Saint Paul with just 285,000 people (and falling) to Seattle with 635,000 (and growing) Hilarious!
The first thing I said when we moved from Seattle to the twin cities was, "wow, this is really run down and ghetto" and the statistics as well as my day to day life experiences all prove it's true. I never felt unsafe a single day in Seattle, ever, anywhere in the city. It got sketchy out of the city as in Seattle the ghettos and blighted neighborhoods are the suburbs, not in the city itself! Seattle itself is very gentrified and ultra-safe, especially when compared to Minneapolis which has almost TWICE the violent crime. I avoid whole neighborhoods and entire sections of both Minneapolis and Saint Paul as they are fetid cess pools. I could walk anywhere in Seattle anytime and never feel one bit unsafe. Unless being around pretentious, white, uptight techy upper middle class and rich hipsters makes you feel unsafe? Have you been to Uptown in Minneapolis? Imagine Uptown everywhere. That's Seattle.
If everywhere in Minneapolis were like uptown it would be a much less interesting city. Frankly, I'm glad it hasn't turned into another generic transient yuppie Disneyland. Honestly dude if you're that afraid maybe you should move back to Seattle, or at least a better neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,602,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
And yet you compare little Saint Paul with just 285,000 people (and falling) to Seattle with 635,000 (and growing) Hilarious!
The first thing I said when we moved from Seattle to the twin cities was, "wow, this is really run down and ghetto" and the statistics as well as my day to day life experiences all prove it's true. I never felt unsafe a single day in Seattle, ever, anywhere in the city. It got sketchy out of the city as in Seattle the ghettos and blighted neighborhoods are the suburbs, not in the city itself! Seattle itself is very gentrified and ultra-safe, especially when compared to Minneapolis which has almost TWICE the violent crime. I avoid whole neighborhoods and entire sections of both Minneapolis and Saint Paul as they are fetid cess pools. I could walk anywhere in Seattle anytime and never feel one bit unsafe. Unless being around pretentious, white, uptight techy upper middle class and rich hipsters makes you feel unsafe? Have you been to Uptown in Minneapolis? Imagine Uptown everywhere. That's Seattle.
Ummmm..... Uptown sucks. Least Minnesotan part of all the Twin Cities. By the way, safety is what you make it. If you walk around looking like a victim, you will be treated like one. If you walk around with this glow of being better than everyone else, someone is going to show you you aren't. People like to say "Minnesota Nice" is just passive aggressiveness. From what I have experienced, transplant hipsters who feel "unsafe" are the reason for that misperception. In my viewpoint, when natural born Minnesotan's actually give a damn what you are spewing (most of the time we don't), we will let you know.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,046,504 times
If Uptown is the least Minnesotan part of the Twin Cities, what is the most Minnesotan part?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
If Uptown is the least Minnesotan part of the Twin Cities, what is the most Minnesotan part?
Everywhere outside of Minneapolis and St. Paul proper....

Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 AM

127 posts, read 214,174 times
Amen.

I think the most Minnesotan part of the Twin Cities is Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove, or possibly the 494 strip.

I sometimes like to walk around these places with this glow of being better than everyone else....but usually a real Minnesotan puts me in my place.....thank god.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:07 PM

464 posts, read 803,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Least Minnesotan part of all the Twin Cities.
There is no such thing as a part of the metro that is more or less Minnesotan than any other, or any other part of the state, for that matter. It's all Minnesota, because Minnesota is many different things.

Uptown is not really my thing, personally, but other people love it, and that's cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul