Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 10:58 AM

9 posts, read 13,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTnVtMn View Post
You assume too much. I said I am not in the market to send my children to either school. I have significant professional experience working with both schools and knowing a good number of administrators at both. That poster's characterization of Blake trades in lame stereotypes, simple as that. Even your comment about "insecure parents" requires a lot of unpacking before it could be useful. Anyone who thinks that parents do not have an impact on independent education regardless of the institution probably doesn't understand the experience very well.
"lame" is your opinion. Further, it seems to me that most people would understand the idea of "insecure parents." These are the kinds of big fish in a small pond parents that show up to school in ostentatious cars and probably spend well beyond their means to show off. Blake has a rep for this. These are the kinds of parents who teach their kids young to sink themselves in debt in order to show off. Come on, this isn't rocket science.

Bottom line is that parents should check out both and judge for themselves. Very very different schools with extremely different values.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 PM

371 posts, read 556,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Breck has a better ice hockey team. Now THAT should settle it.
Blake girls often win the state championship in hockey. They are amazing.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:14 PM

371 posts, read 556,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad To Contribute View Post

. Even more, we just didn’t find the Blake teachers to be any better than those who we met at the public option.
I'm not sure how you can assess teacher quality simply by meeting teachers. I would love to have that skill.

Quote:

I asked the admissions office at Blake about how commonly kids from Breck transfer to Blake and they indicated that is was rare – kind of telling…
I doubt whether there is much mobility from any of the independent schools to the others. So not really telling.

Quote:

Breck is a far better and more rounded school. It turns out children who have great values and who are strong contributors to society and extremely bright.
We don't know that this isn't true of Blake, other independent schools, or other good publics.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:26 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,721,463 times
I know quite a few people in the Breck community. While they are justifiably proud of their school and its accomplishments, I have never heard any of them speak poorly of Blake or any of the other elite private schools. This is just something that is not done in the private school community.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
Blake girls often win the state championship in hockey. They are amazing.
That's SO amazing! Let Blake have that over Breck! :-P

Old 09-25-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
I'm not sure how you can assess teacher quality simply by meeting teachers. I would love to have that skill.

Years in academics, so it's easy. With even a little experience it isn't so difficult to measure the ability of a teacher, particularly when the difference is so significant. Can't disagree with other poster.

I doubt whether there is much mobility from any of the independent schools to the others. So not really telling.

It is, actually, telling in terms of the difference between the 2 schools being discussed in this thread. It's interesting, but not surprising. The trend of the thread is that Blake has gone downhill and Breck had ascended. For that reason, it would make sense that more students try and transfer to Breck rather than the opposite. Makes sense to me.

We don't know that this isn't true of Blake, other independent schools, or other good publics.
I think the trends seem pretty clear, and it's understandable after a visit to both schools.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I know quite a few people in the Breck community. While they are justifiably proud of their school and its accomplishments, I have never heard any of them speak poorly of Blake or any of the other elite private schools. This is just something that is not done in the private school community.
And? We are simply comparing the schools here.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,721,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikesOhMy View Post
And? We are simply comparing the schools here.
Most of the comments in post #144 disparaged the staff and parents at Blake. That post was in very bad taste and is not what one would typically expect from a Breck parent.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Most of the comments in post #144 disparaged the staff and parents at Blake. That post was in very bad taste and is not what one would typically expect from a Breck parent.
Having read through this whole thread I'm not sure if you comment just to increase your post count (now you'll respond to add another) but the poster in #144 seems to have given a pretty accurate picture of Blake. And, if you disagree that's fine, but it is that person's opinion. This thread asks the question "Breck or Blake school?" and so the person gave his or her opinion. If I had never visited either school I'd be looking for the issues, both positive and negative, to look for in the school and I think that this poster did a nice job of pointing out issues that readers can look for during a visit. Maybe bad taste in your opinion but I think that blunt facts/opinions are most helpful as opposed to Minnesota-style (I'm Minnesotan myself) sugar coating. I understand that you post quick responses without thinking about them carefully, but to say that the poster disparaged the staff at Blake by indicating that they don't seem as strong as those at Breck certainly is not disparaging. If we can't give such opinions about the teaching quality of both schools then what is the point of this thread? Should posters only respond "Blake" or "Breck?"

Old 09-26-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
"Elite". Elite, as in, expensive? Blake is "elite?" I have a suspicion that you are somehow affiliated with Blake or a parent. I was about to criticize your sweeping generalization about what is and what is not done in the private school community, but then I might sound a little hypocritical when I tell you that only a Blake parent would refer to his or her school as "elite." Silly talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul