Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 04:40 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times

Advertisements

Dang, I didn't realize how long those Live on Patrol videos were. Any specific numbers you'd recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 06:05 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Enjoy the time you're in Highland Park there. It's really a nice area to live. I am quite sure you're wife will want to avoid 55 at all costs. It's nuts at any point in the day, light to light with heavy traffic. When you do need to transit across into that area, use Minnehaha as it's parallel and can get you almost to the point where it becomes highway. There is a smaller CUB foods grocery store at 46th and Snelling (almost 55) which will do in a pinch. Better than Lunds & Byerlys that is right there in your neighborhood. I recommend Von Hanson's Meats across the Parkway, unless of course you have vegetarian tendencies. Petco by you is great for all your kitties needs.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:15 PM

Yeah, we're actually now starting to talk about her biking to work. One of her would-be colleagues is leaving the University (and is moving out of 740 River, incidentally) and selling her bike, so that becomes another option for her. How bike-friendly is the public transport system in case, say, she bikes to work but the weather goes bad in the afternoon?

Old 07-21-2022, 08:03 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Yeah, we're actually now starting to talk about her biking to work. One of her would-be colleagues is leaving the University (and is moving out of 740 River, incidentally) and selling her bike, so that becomes another option for her. How bike-friendly is the public transport system in case, say, she bikes to work but the weather goes bad in the afternoon?
You can put bikes on the front of buses, no clue about light rail?

I don’t have any specific live on patrol episodes to recommend. Better to watch one of the daytime ones.

Old 07-21-2022, 08:31 PM

I googled it - apparently there are bike racks inside the light rail cars, as well. Good to know.

Old 07-23-2022, 02:55 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I googled it - apparently there are bike racks inside the light rail cars, as well. Good to know.

There are on the Green Line for sure - I ride that one on occasion in the winter when it looks like traffic will be a mess (light rail is rock solid on schedule, sunny summer day or winter blizzard ... unless a driver temps fate and loses the attempt to cross in front of a moving train or simply ram the side of one (seen that happen).

For the train, you stand your bike on one tire and snap it into the rack inside the car right by the doors.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:16 PM

Are there any park&ride lots we could use to avoid parking on campus? That's the one thing I haven't been able to figure out.

Old 07-23-2022, 10:38 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Nice pick on the Highland Park finding a place. The drive to the U for your wife is the most ideal anyone could ever have, one simple road follows the river with million dollar homes and tons of people walking/running/biking. Highland Park is a nice area. My company used to take care of the lawn and snow of Highland Animal Hospital. Cecil’s is a great old school deli. A guy I went to high school with own’s Tiffany’s sports bar.

tiffany's. there's a stroll down memory lane.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:06 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
tiffany's. there's a stroll down memory lane.
The dad started it and his 3 kids worked there, then for some odd reason sold it to only one of them. The other two went down Lexington Ave and bought Gabe’s By the Park about 5 or so years ago.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:10 AM

So, ironically, after saying we wouldn't come out to MN until the day of the move, we did decide to make a trip, after all - to drop a bunch of boxes in my wife's colleague's garage and to make a completely unrelated but necessary pit stop in Chicago. When we were moving from IL to MI in July of last year, Hertz was nearly giving away one-way cargo van rentals. This time I can't even find a single company locally that would rent one (for any less than $700). So, a "Dodge Caravan or similar" from Avis it is, then. At least the ride will be more comfortable, but at 140 cubic feet we're going to be pretty limited in what comes with us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul