Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 09:17 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,187,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Actually this would be ideal, via it’s divided and higher speed limit, but in mornings and evenings it’s packed. I bet it would double or triple, or more etc…the time rather then take Mississippi Blvd which has a 30 mph limit. I do understand the having to deal with people part, so maybe 55 is worth a trade off for her.
We'll try it both ways a couple times before the semester starts.

One of the people who gave me a post rep mentioned something about us hopefully not owning a Kia/Hyundai (we don't, but an Elantra N has long been on my radar) - what's the deal with those brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 09:48 AM

587 posts, read 565,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post

One of the people who gave me a post rep mentioned something about us hopefully not owning a Kia/Hyundai (we don't, but an Elantra N has long been on my radar) - what's the deal with those brands?

“Twin Cities police report uptick in Hyundai and Kia thefts, following nationwide trend”

https://www.fox9.com/news/twin-citie...tionwide-trend

Quote:
Their story is a familiar one in other parts of the country, where Kias and Hyundais are stolen off the streets in seconds. Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher even referenced the issue on Friday's "Live on Patrol." Fletcher told his Facebook and YouTube followers the issue is particularly bad in Milwaukee, where a group of teens calling themselves the "Kia Boys" steal cars across the city.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:05 AM

587 posts, read 565,323 times
Quote:

Another article that I just came across right now that explains exactly why they are vulnerable.

“Minneapolis woman's Kia stolen three times in six months”

https://www.fox9.com/news/minneapoli...yo_uO3CGeZ4OIM

Quote:
It was then that Hernandez first learned of law enforcement’s warnings around the country that Kias and Hyundais are easy to steal because they lack an electronic security device called an engine immobilizer.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:03 PM

Yikes. That's crazy! Good to know, I guess, but I definitely didn't know about their lack of an immobilizer.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:05 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,198,674 times
Quote:

Hiawatha is what 55 is also called and referred to as. I’ve heard it’s a disaster this summer with construction.

My wife has a newer Santa Fe and I don’t fear it being stolen/car jacked. I also am and always have been well aware of what’s around me. I did take my Cayenne last week when I needed to go look at a property in frogtown area of St Paul instead of her Santa Fe via uprise in poorer parts of town. If anyone were to get out of their vehicles near me in it, I’ll gladly use the around 600 hp I have and you won’t catch me. It’s always better to be proactive then reactive.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:08 PM

47 posts, read 29,625 times
Quote:
Actually this would be ideal, via it’s divided and higher speed limit, but in mornings and evenings it’s packed. I bet it would double or triple, or more etc…the time rather then take Mississippi Blvd which has a 30 mph limit. I do understand the having to deal with people part, so maybe 55 is worth a trade off for her.
Mississippi River Blvd will prove to be the best route.

It’s a straight shot to the U, a <30 mph limit, has no cross traffic and has dedicated pedestrian and bike lanes with the pedestrian lanes well off the road. Even at rush hour, the traffic is light.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchill View Post
Mississippi River Blvd will prove to be the best route.

It’s a straight shot to the U, a <30 mph limit, has no cross traffic and has dedicated pedestrian and bike lanes with the pedestrian lanes well off the road. Even at rush hour, the traffic is light.
Sounds good. I'm sure she'll get used to it as long as the flow is consistent and there aren't people crossing the road all the time (that's her one big concern with city driving).

Old 07-21-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Hiawatha is what 55 is also called and referred to as. I’ve heard it’s a disaster this summer with construction.

My wife has a newer Santa Fe and I don’t fear it being stolen/car jacked. I also am and always have been well aware of what’s around me. I did take my Cayenne last week when I needed to go look at a property in frogtown area of St Paul instead of her Santa Fe via uprise in poorer parts of town. If anyone were to get out of their vehicles near me in it, I’ll gladly use the around 600 hp I have and you won’t catch me. It’s always better to be proactive then reactive.
I'm generally loath to ask questions like "which parts of town are best avoided" because that typically invites a lot of stereotyping and ensuing flame wars from people disagreeing (because there'll always be the one person to declare that Santa Monica is just as unsafe as Watts and Cudahy because of all the petty crime that happens in the former), but awareness of one's surroundings is important. With that in mind, I'm starting to develop a kind of an idea of areas we should be more vigilant in, but if someone could point to me somewhere that describes the major areas of Minneapolis/St. Paul in terms of safety from both violent and non-violent crime, it would be helpful. (Or I can stop asking people to do my homework for me and just read Wikitravel, but I kind of fear that might not paint the entire picture )

I did look at crime maps, btw, which really set my mind at ease about our immediate new neighborhood. It's just been a while since I've lived in an actual city (even if it's not right in the middle of it), so it will take a bit of adjusting.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:48 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,198,674 times
Quote:
I'm generally loath to ask questions like "which parts of town are best avoided" because that typically invites a lot of stereotyping and ensuing flame wars from people disagreeing (because there'll always be the one person to declare that Santa Monica is just as unsafe as Watts and Cudahy because of all the petty crime that happens in the former), but awareness of one's surroundings is important. With that in mind, I'm starting to develop a kind of an idea of areas we should be more vigilant in, but if someone could point to me somewhere that describes the major areas of Minneapolis/St. Paul in terms of safety from both violent and non-violent crime, it would be helpful. (Or I can stop asking people to do my homework for me and just read Wikitravel, but I kind of fear that might not paint the entire picture )

I did look at crime maps, btw, which really set my mind at ease about our immediate new neighborhood. It's just been a while since I've lived in an actual city (even if it's not right in the middle of it), so it will take a bit of adjusting.
Watch Live On Patrol on YouTube to learn the St Paul areas. He’s the sheriff of a decent size county and he’s mostly only in St Paul, especially the East Side.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Watch Live On Patrol on YouTube to learn the St Paul areas. He’s the sheriff of a decent size county and he’s mostly only in St Paul, especially the East Side.
Thanks - will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul