Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 10:14 PM

47 posts, read 29,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Yikes. We got a similar review from my wife's colleague, but not quite as grim.I've used Padmapper in this search, as well (plus Redfin, Zillow, CL, Trulia, word of mouth and what feels like smoke signals at this point, as well, for good measure). The challenge has been our three cats. Plenty of places proclaim to be pet-friendly (including those that require cats to be declawed, which, wtf - apparently there's actually a bill that was introduced this year to make that illegal), but hardcap it at two of any species. I get it, I guess, but it doesn't make things easier for us.

I think we found our place, though - the tower across Ford Bridge from Hiawatha in St. Paul. Looks like a decent enough neighborhood, close to parks, the river, a few shopping places (Trader Joe's is bikeable, Lund's is walkable), even a Petco and a vet clinic. The airport is less than a 15-minute drive away, similar story with my wife's work. A little outside our original budget, but all the utilities except water are included, so may end up being a wash. And pet rent is nominal ($10 per cat). Doing our FaceTime with the management office tomorrow to confirm.
As a thirty-year Highland Park resident I can assure you that it is well above decent enough, as you’ll soon find out.

Good job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 01:49 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
..... The challenge has been our three cats. Plenty of places proclaim to be pet-friendly (including those that require cats to be declawed, which, wtf - apparently there's actually a bill that was introduced this year to make that illegal), but hardcap it at two of any species. I get it, I guess, but it doesn't make things easier for us.......
I'd tell them you have only two cats, and hope they don't enter the place without your permission.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:24 AM

4,363 posts, read 6,536,724 times
That Highland Park neighborhood is a good choice. Just across the bridge from Minniehaha Falls and Park. My dog and I spent time there almost every day. I would consider that neighborhood very walkable and I always felt more safe there than not. Was a lot of traffic and construction there in the recent past with the new development going in at the old Ford plant but that won't be there forever. Just a nice area there around the Mississippi River.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:00 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,167,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'd tell them you have only two cats, and hope they don't enter the place without your permission.
That was our backup plan, to be honest. Either way, our third one hides the minute he even senses strangers. But I'm glad we managed to avoid this altogether.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:09 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,073,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchill View Post
As a thirty-year Highland Park resident I can assure you that it is well above decent enough, as you’ll soon find out.

Good job!

Highland Park is a fantastic neighborhood. A great walking neighborhood, with local restaurants (Cecil's if you are in the mood for a great Ruben) and stores. Plus, you just a bridge away from Minnehaha Park (Sea Salt for fish).

I used to drive through it frequently as part of my commute and we still hit the area on weekends. If you wife ends up driving the the East Bank, the drive along the river is great.

You landed very well.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Highland Park is a fantastic neighborhood. A great walking neighborhood, with local restaurants (Cecil's if you are in the mood for a great Ruben) and stores. Plus, you just a bridge away from Minnehaha Park (Sea Salt for fish).

I used to drive through it frequently as part of my commute and we still hit the area on weekends. If you wife ends up driving the the East Bank, the drive along the river is great.

You landed very well.
Thank you (and thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions)

My wife is kind of an odd duck in that she prefers highway driving to city driving, since she's got some depth perception issues and likes to have as few people potentially jumping out in front of her car as possible. But we will have ample time between our move and the beginning of the semester to drive a couple of different routes and also to test out the public transport system.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:03 PM

6,566 posts, read 7,153,023 times
Quote:
Thank you (and thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions)

My wife is kind of an odd duck in that she prefers highway driving to city driving, since she's got some depth perception issues and likes to have as few people potentially jumping out in front of her car as possible. But we will have ample time between our move and the beginning of the semester to drive a couple of different routes and also to test out the public transport system.
There’s no easy close way to get to a freeway to get from where your gonna be to then go to the U. Way out of your way to do it actually.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
There’s no easy close way to get to a freeway to get from where your gonna be to then go to the U. Way out of your way to do it actually.
Shoot, I kinda took Hwy 55 to be one, for her purposes, but I looked at Street View and there are a bunch of traffic lights there. Ah well. We'll figure it out.

Old 07-20-2022, 01:57 PM

Can anyone here recommend a storage facility? Ideally we'd like to bring a bit more stuff than our apartment will fit, in anticipation of a future house purchase so that we don't have to schlep back to Michigan for it. Public Storage isn't super expensive (about 90 bucks/month for what we're thinking), but I figured I'd look at some other options, as well.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:05 AM

6,566 posts, read 7,153,023 times
Quote:
Shoot, I kinda took Hwy 55 to be one, for her purposes, but I looked at Street View and there are a bunch of traffic lights there. Ah well. We'll figure it out.
Actually this would be ideal, via it’s divided and higher speed limit, but in mornings and evenings it’s packed. I bet it would double or triple, or more etc…the time rather then take Mississippi Blvd which has a 30 mph limit. I do understand the having to deal with people part, so maybe 55 is worth a trade off for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul