Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 06:38 PM

87 posts, read 400,968 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the CITY of Minneapolis since 1994-Had not been downtown for 2+ years-last night? Dinner at the Cap Grille-show at the Orpheum...FAB! Worst trouble were the homeless...Other than that DT was packed -Lots of MPD...Saw the Prince tribute wall by Target Field....Just stay away if you don't want to be enlightened by anything different-And like any city-be street smart.

Last edited by thomjoe; 06-04-2022 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 01:19 PM

53 posts, read 95,051 times
It has picked up in the last couple of months; it was bleak at times during the pandemic.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:16 PM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
We visited several years ago and drove and walked around downtown and did not see many if any homeless. O f course we did not explore every area so it could of been we just didn't them in the parts of downtown we visited. I live in Portland, OR and our city is a disgusting cesspool. I hate it and glad my husband no longer works downtown. It has gotten completely out of control.

But I think it goes in cycles and some areas of the US will always be bad.

The funniest thing is when I was a senior in high school we did a trip to NYC. I saw a guy living in a box on the sidewalk. I snapped a picture because I thought I'll probably never see that again in my life. I also have a few pictures of the Twin Towers. Then i moved to Seattle about 6 years later.

Some homeless on the streets of downtown but not very bad.

Fast forward and I think Seattle is very bad just like Portland.

Old 06-10-2022, 03:27 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
We visited several years ago and drove and walked around downtown and did not see many if any homeless. O f course we did not explore every area so it could of been we just didn't them in the parts of downtown we visited. I live in Portland, OR and our city is a disgusting cesspool. I hate it and glad my husband no longer works downtown. It has gotten completely out of control.

But I think it goes in cycles and some areas of the US will always be bad.

The funniest thing is when I was a senior in high school we did a trip to NYC. I saw a guy living in a box on the sidewalk. I snapped a picture because I thought I'll probably never see that again in my life. I also have a few pictures of the Twin Towers. Then i moved to Seattle about 6 years later.

Some homeless on the streets of downtown but not very bad.

Fast forward and I think Seattle is very bad just like Portland.
About a dozen years ago we vacationed in the Seattle area. At that time I thought it was the cleanest, coolest BIG city that I had ever seen. By all accounts, I'm glad I visited it then as now it is, as you stated, a cesspool.

If you were in the Twin Cities BEFORE the George Floyd fiasco, you were relatively safe in the downtown area. I haven't been back there afterwards either, and based on what I've seen and heard, aren't in any hurry to go there. This is the 3rd year since I was last there. It's about the longest stint in the last 40 years for me for not going up to the Twin Cities. I'm not alone. This area is missing out on a LOT of revenue thanks to the idiocy of their "leaders".

Old 06-11-2022, 09:56 AM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
We visited before George Floyd.

I moved to Seattle in 1988. A few years before that my mom visited my uncle and when she came home she was impressed with how clean and beautiful it was.

We had a hotel in Bloomington. I rode the light Rail to downtown and went to Target Field. My hubby and daughter don't really like sports. They did suck it up and go but I wanted to see another game. On the way home I had a panic attack and a lady on the light rail helped me, so nice of her.

A few years later I flew to MSP to go see the Gophers play hockey. I got stuck because of a snow storm. So the next night I went to see the Wild play. I took the light rail from Bloomington and saw a "crazy" guy acting up and yelling. It made me feel like I was in Portland. I see that all the time riding our light rail called the MAX. And once again someone was nice and helped me make sure I got off at the right stop. It was so cold my face was about frozen solid. :-)

Old 06-11-2022, 12:53 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhelm View Post
It has picked up in the last couple of months; it was bleak at times during the pandemic.
We won't see the victim stats rise until people start to go there again. Nobody with the instincts to prey on others is changing their mind while they wait, ya know. . .

Old 06-13-2022, 07:56 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
About a dozen years ago we vacationed in the Seattle area. At that time I thought it was the cleanest, coolest BIG city that I had ever seen. By all accounts, I'm glad I visited it then as now it is, as you stated, a cesspool.

If you were in the Twin Cities BEFORE the George Floyd fiasco, you were relatively safe in the downtown area. I haven't been back there afterwards either, and based on what I've seen and heard, aren't in any hurry to go there. This is the 3rd year since I was last there. It's about the longest stint in the last 40 years for me for not going up to the Twin Cities. I'm not alone. This area is missing out on a LOT of revenue thanks to the idiocy of their "leaders".
Strange. I see so many North and South Dakota license plates in the Twin Cities on the weekends lately that I often wonder if there is anyone left out there in the Dakotas. I was just joking about that with my husband a few weeks ago.

Old 06-13-2022, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Strange. I see so many North and South Dakota license plates in the Twin Cities on the weekends lately that I often wonder if there is anyone left out there in the Dakotas. I was just joking about that with my husband a few weeks ago.
Just goes to show that the locals aren't DRIVING downtown. They know better. There would be a LOT more SD, ND cars before you got overrun by wokeism. You may think that it hasn't changed. It has.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Just goes to show that the locals aren't DRIVING downtown. They know better. There would be a LOT more SD, ND cars before you got overrun by wokeism. You may think that it hasn't changed. It has.
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2022/...rjacking-data/

Old 06-14-2022, 02:40 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomjoe View Post
I have lived in the CITY of Minneapolis since 1994-Had not been downtown for 2+ years-last night? Dinner at the Cap Grille-show at the Orpheum...FAB! Worst trouble were the homeless...Other than that DT was packed -Lots of MPD...Saw the Prince tribute wall by Target Field....Just stay away if you don't want to be enlightened by anything different-And like any city-be street smart.
Star Trib reports 218 car jackings in MPLS just this year thru 06/08 and that is after/including a log cold winter.

#pathetic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul